What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get Rid of Fungus Gnats For Good Using Mosquito Dunks

stucrew

The concentration is weak. You have to use a ridiculous amount.

Gnatrol wins again.

The great thing about GnatNix is it isn't a pesticide. 1 application on the top of the medium at the beginning of the grow and it stays there working for the whole grow. I suppose if I couldn't get rid of the flying adults then I would spray the plants with something but remember the bug spray will likely show up in the lab test.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's Gnatrol. Bti. As harmless as they come.

It isn't systemic nor is it applied with a sprayer. It also isn't a half ass solution like most the crap recommended here.

Did you troll me because you want this Dipshit Know Nothing crown?

Don't worry. People know.

Muleskinner

Veteran
The gnatrol.com guy on ebay was gouging too badly, so I finally broke down and ordered my own 16 pound bucket of Gnatrol for just under $400 shipped. What a great decision. Myself and a few friends will be set for 2 years at $26 per pound. The guy on ebay wants $56 per pound.

mosquito dunks didn't work too well for me, took a long time to mash them up with pliers and then even at high doses I still had lots of gnats. Better to suck it up & buy Gnatrol. Best price was from this place in Colorado:

https://www.forestrydistributing.com/gnatrol-wdg-biological-larvicide-omri-listed-valent

also if you've got a severe infestation, make sure to water with Gnatrol every 2-3 days, it only stays active in the soil for 2 days so they'll start breeding up again if you wait for the soil to dry out longer than 2-3 days.

Last edited:

stucrew

It's Gnatrol. Bti. As harmless as they come.

It isn't systemic nor is it applied with a sprayer. It also isn't a half ass solution like most the crap recommended here.

Did you troll me because you want this Dipshit Know Nothing crown?

Don't worry. People know.

??? No. I don't Troll anyone. I am here to learn and help others with advice from what I have experienced. After all, real growing experience comes from real growing history.

You can keep the "Dipshit Know Nothing Crown". It's yours and I figure you earned it.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Was shopping around, comparing prices and reviews and stumbled upon the same recommendation over and over. Supposedly it is very concentrated Bti, and very inexpensive. Also besides being found online, it is often stocked at hardware stores.

Microbelift BMC

The dosage is so tiny, it can be hard to measure. Although I was told by someone who contacted the manufacturer that over dosing will not be harmful, nor will it be more effective, just waste the product a little. At the price though, seems non factor.

Will try to remember to post with my actual results, hopefully in the next week or so.

Mr^^

methias

Ordered

Ordered

Hello all,
Great thread.
Just ordered some on eBay for delivery on Friday.
Been using neem seed meal in the every mix but recently the gnats have gone nuts. I have the yellow white fly traps in the cabinet and lately their numbers exploded.
Gonna try the 1/4 piece ground up per pot.
Hoping to save my Venom OG and Sour Kosher from the beasts.
Let you know how it goes.

Vape on:ying:

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Ive had freat results with microbe lift ...baccilus thureangess israelis...or BTI.

Comes in a 2 oz squirt bottle.

You can use distilled water and culture your own from it as well. Root aphids fungas knats etc
.etc.

Dont forget wet areas in your area.

Toilet bowl holes under rims.. drains washing machine hoses wall drains.

methias

Thank you lolagirl

Thank you lolagirl

Update ;
I got the dunks, powdered two in a mortar and pestle, sprinkled a light dusting on the soil of my girls in the flower room, and my potted lady in the propagation box.
Next I mixed up some soil along with some dunks. It has been a couple of weeks since I started with the dunks and the quantity of gnats appears to be reducing. I plan to replace my yellow sticky traps in a few days to see how it is working.
:ying:
So far so good.

Vape on.

biobizz

safe your money dont buy this mosquito duks garbage!

sorrry but the threadstarters advice made me mad some time ago.

just want say i was very dissapointed about the results. i ordered a big package mosquito bits and also this donut style dunks spend arround 80€ total so allmost 100usd.

i sprinkled the bits around the plants. i put a dunk in a womensock(nylon) and hang it into the resorvoir..let it there at least 1 week.. no effect at all. maybe the plants even didnt like it..not shure but i got a feeling it wasnt the best idea..what a waste of time and money. also it was hard to get it in europe. i ordered from u.s.a.

so..useing nematodes is working nice i tried it several times..the problem is u shouldnt use it with filters/automatic drip feed system.. so its only good for hand feeding..

i prefer useing bacillus thuringiensis israelensis

how much grams gnatrol u use per gallon? can u overdose it? no right?

can u reproduce the bacteria?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gnatrol is 10-40ml per gallon I believe. Use immediately or within 24hrs at most, it will gunk up the res. Same active ingredient as Mosquito Bits/Dunks but in higher concentration. Bits/Dunks are better as a preventative but overall an inferior product.

Bti products are inert, you are not applying a live organism or inocculant but a dried powder high in a insecticidal crystal produced by the bacteria before processing with heat to make a stable form.

Dog Star

Veteran
Cinnamon is much better option than Bti and it nukes them so fast that all larvae
dies in few days so you can actually sees your plants come fast back to health
and optimum growing..

for flyers use yellow sticky traps and you will rid gnats very fast...

Am haved infestations so strong that mine yellow sticky traps was black in colour
from them.. millions of bastards.. and then comes Cinnamon dusting and after
two days you dont sees them any more they come from soil...

Cinnamon haves some alcaloid that fucks up larvae so hard they cant live long..
and flyers you pick up with yellow sticky traps..

Thing is that Cinnamon kills shroom that gnats use for food and hence that
they starve of hunger and never fly out..