What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hot Water Cure for BHO

MildeStoner

Veteran
A buddy of mine and I stumbled across this a few years ago, we were evaporating some bho over a bowl of boiling water made from local african swazi (a real knockout smoke lol :bashhead: ), and accidentally everything was knocked, and some boiling water spilt into the hash. We were dismayed, but continued, and waited for the water to cool so the hash would settle, as much had bubbled and floated to the top. Later, when we smoked the oil, it was less harsh and had a clearer taste than usual.
So, we continued to experiment, and I would like to document my current method:
Evaporate 99% of the butane in a pyrex bowl over a another bowl full of hot water, changing the water as it cools. (keep a kettle boiling in the room)
When the butane is almost gone, and the oil is more solid and bubbling slowly like thick porridge, move to the stove.
Suspend the pyrex bowl of oil above a pot of boiling water, where the steam and bubbles popping against the bottom will heat it, waiting a few minutes as the oil heats up and the last of the vissible bubbles pop. It will form a smooth, solid layer on the bottom with no bubbling.
Now, pour boiling water (or slightly cooler if you're paranoid like me! :laughing: ) into the pyrex bowl of hash, and leave on the heat for 5 minutes.
Then remove it from the heat, allow it to cool and the oil will form clumps that you can stick to the sides by blowing air at them, gently with your mouth. When all the oil is solidly attached to the pyrex bowl, pour the water out.
Place the pyrex bowl back on the heat, and wait for the oil to mealt and form a flat puddle at the bottom of the bowl, with little or no residue on the sides of the bowl.
Scrape together with a card, place the card in the freezer for 2 mins with the oil on it, the oil will become cold and brittle (temporary, do not panic :rasta: ).
Hold the card in a glass with one hand, using the other to cover the top, as the hash has a tendency to try and escape. Then bend the card in the confines of the glass, and the oil, because it is so cold it will snap cleanly and completly off the card. Then pour the fragments into your hands and press, press, press the hash into a ball as quickly as possible, because the heat of your hands will cause it to stick to you, leaving you in a sticky situation. This method of collecting the oil is a little tricky, but very thourough, its tricky because you have to be quick and get the oil at the right temperature as it heats up from the freezer.
I store in small glass jars, as they are cool so they oil won't stick to them, unless left somewhere warm.

Does anyone else use this, or you have a better method? I am quite interested in bho extraction, so would welcome any comments or advice from other members :jump:

I will post pics next time I do an extraction, as to demonstrate a bit more clearly the above method. :laughing:

Peace and Love

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i have seen this well documented, on Overgrow origionally, and here too. it is a fetish of some; many of those who do it often swear by it, but i think if it makes a markedly smoother smoke, its very likely you are washing terpenes out. the more terpenes in your oil( certain kinds especially), the harsher it is going down. some terpenes are not very smooth to smoke.

M

mallyone

Interesting technique, I'll have to give it a try next time I'm able.

Somewhere in my crusty brain I remember reading something about terpenes having some sort of interactions with cannabinoids and potentates or gives the high certain characteristics. Again, my crusty brain trying to remember so take that with grain of salt :).

m1...

fatcat

Terpens are what give the bud it's smell and taste, which is probably what you are washing out, among other things. Thats just my 2 cents (where the fuck is the cents key?)

gordonliu

I can tell you this much:

water cured WEED vs regular bud.

water cure: initial weight 5.7 grams. final dry weight after a 4 day water cure: 2.2 grams.

regular cure: inital weight: 12.1 grams. final dry weight after 2 days of cure: 7 grams.

this means water cured weed is approximately 30% lighter non-water cured weed.

this also means that the THC concentration is increased by ~30%.

soon I will back this up with an extraction experiment.

TheHashAssassin

gord, try letting the plants FULLY mature and flush out too. You will be amazed at the increase in resin yield this does. ( By mature I mean 30%+ amber trichs and all pistils withered)

MildeStoner

Veteran
yeah, it does lose some flavour, starts to taste more like resin, but for me this is a good thing, because i don't like the taste of local swazi!!
Pure resin, yes please! :laughing:
If the herb is very nice, next time i don't think i will use water, see if i can taste the difference, thanks for the feedback allQQ

Hash Man

I prefer to do a hot water cure on my butane oil. I can never seem to get all the tase of gas out, so i tend to go with amber glass and a sun purge sometimes too. One cool thing i did with some hot water purged BHO is this: after collecting it at the end of a bamboo skewer, a put it on wax paper and then into the freezer for five minutes. I took the BHO out and, which by now was a light golden color, and when it warmed up from sitting in room temp[, I rolledit out witha rolling pin, with wax paper on both sides. then froze it agian so i could collect it without losing too much weight. At this point, I put the exract into a glass jar, which sat inside a pyrex pan full of boing water, which was starting to cool down. i came back about 30 minutes later, and it hydrogenized on me and turned into a substance very close to what everone is calling budder these days... It was great. but ill stick to good old water hash in general.

B

bonecarver_OG

yeah agree with HMK - this method is OOOOLD and from OG.

used it a few times - it does work ok..

MildeStoner

Veteran
bonecarver_OG said:
yeah agree with HMK - this method is OOOOLD and from OG.

used it a few times - it does work ok..

Intersting that we discovered it by mistake atleast though, what a coincidence lol :violin:
I'm not old enough to have been seriously reading the OG forums, remember taking a couple peeks though, good site..
Peace and Love

ThunderFnk420

I prefer to do a hot water cure on my butane oil. I can never seem to get all the tase of gas out, so i tend to go with amber glass and a sun purge sometimes too. One cool thing i did with some hot water purged BHO is this: after collecting it at the end of a bamboo skewer, a put it on wax paper and then into the freezer for five minutes. I took the BHO out and, which by now was a light golden color, and when it warmed up from sitting in room temp[, I rolledit out witha rolling pin, with wax paper on both sides. then froze it agian so i could collect it without losing too much weight. At this point, I put the exract into a glass jar, which sat inside a pyrex pan full of boing water, which was starting to cool down. i came back about 30 minutes later, and it hydrogenized on me and turned into a substance very close to what everone is calling budder these days... It was great. but ill stick to good old water hash in general.

never use wax paper unless u like smoking wax..Parchment paper is King
:laughing:

MildeStoner

Veteran
Sorry to resurrect a long buried thread, haven't been on here much in the last few years, although recently I've been lurking, learning again.

It's just crazy to see how far all of this stuff has come in the last 10 years. This meme says it best:

picture.php

*credit goes to SourWaves*

Hope all the old names and faces are surviving the changing landscape of cultivating and extracting our chosen plant!

Milde