What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Educational Podcast

h.h.

Veteran
Good advice.

My pigs and birds barely touch it. It seems a bit hot for the worms. The flies love it.
I'm getting truckloads of horse manure, I think I'll start mixing it in. Thanks.
Guess I'll have to correct myself.
lUGmX6Qs.jpg

antheis

Veteran
oh thank you thank you thank you for this!
i needed this info and i can listen to it while at work.

h.h.

Veteran
The transcripts are most helpful.

I'd really like to see these guys together in a closed forum scenario. I mean Lowenfels and Solomon or Tim and Solomon hashing it out.

KIS

The transcripts are most helpful.

I'd really like to see these guys together in a closed forum scenario. I mean Lowenfels and Solomon or Tim and Solomon hashing it out.

I'm glad someone besides me likes transcripts. Seems no one reads these days. Unfortunately they're costly to get done and then I have to edit them cause they don't know words like mycorrhizal fungi and cation exchange capacity. It's just too time consuming to continue for future episodes. I'm going to try and include pertinent links and resources though.

Got one more episode with Coot to release and then a bunch of new speakers lined up I'm excited about! 😀

Let me know if you have any suggestions for speakers or topics.

Badfishy1

I'm glad someone besides me likes transcripts. Seems no one reads these days. Unfortunately they're costly to get done and then I have to edit them cause they don't know words like mycorrhizal fungi and cation exchange capacity. It's just too time consuming to continue for future episodes. I'm going to try and include pertinent links and resources though.

Got one more episode with Coot to release and then a bunch of new speakers lined up I'm excited about! 😀

Let me know if you have any suggestions for speakers or topics.

Damn fam. Pm if you need any help with transcripts as they are beneficial to all! Noooooo keep coots on for every episode lol. His ramblings are 100

h.h.

Veteran
I noticed an indecent or two in the transcripts where the words used didn't fit the sentence, other than sounding similar to other words that made sense. Minor detail. The meaning came through.

I like that the pods are cannabis inclusive without being cannabis specific. I personally haven't grown cannabis for a number of years. I come here because many of you are on the forefront of organics.

That brings a few names to mind.

Eliot Coleman
Anne Hess
Vandana Shiva:peacock:

I've argued with Coot here before, but I did appreciate the interviews. There was a lot of good thoughts in them. He has brought forth his share of advancements.

KIS

I noticed an indecent or two in the transcripts where the words used didn't fit the sentence, other than sounding similar to other words that made sense. Minor detail. The meaning came through.

I like that the pods are cannabis inclusive without being cannabis specific. I personally haven't grown cannabis for a number of years. I come here because many of you are on the forefront of organics.

That brings a few names to mind.

Eliot Coleman
Anne Hess
Vandana Shiva:peacock:

I've argued with Coot here before, but I did appreciate the interviews. There was a lot of good thoughts in them. He has brought forth his share of advancements.

We are on the same page regarding cannabis. And yes I only did a fast edit on the transcripts to correct major problems. Just editing the audio on an hour segment takes 6-7 hours sometimes.

I'll look into those names. I have Jessi Bloom on the list to bring a permaculture viewpoint, she's a good friend of mine.

KIS

Damn fam. Pm if you need any help with transcripts as they are beneficial to all! Noooooo keep coots on for every episode lol. His ramblings are 100

I'd totally take help on transcripts if you're interested. I could send you the audio prior to launching if you were interested. 😀

antheis

Veteran
just listened to the interview with Jeff. i had the idea of making compost tea from a rootball with the intent of innoculating a new soil bed and this episode just reinforced the idea. thanks again for these, and the same principles can be applied to all gardening, not just cannabis.

KIS

Last episode with Coot is out. Talks about this whole #neemgate stuff people have been asking me about.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol @ neemgate. the podcasts are great. i'll have to check out coot's new one

ridnovir

Can anyone clarify what Coot said in latest podcast about pest control. He mentioned something that he uses that works very well to control pests in conjunction with IPM

KIS

Can anyone clarify what Coot said in latest podcast about pest control. He mentioned something that he uses that works very well to control pests in conjunction with IPM

I believe what you are referencing is that he mentioned using predatory insects as part of your IPM strategy.

KIS

Latest podcast interview is now live. Interview is with Nelson Lindsley of Poetry of Plants. Really interesting and passion dude, with a lot of share. He's using hybrid methods of growing but is probably more passionate about sustainability and the environment than many of the organic folks. Check it out!

Phill84

Hi Tad, I'm really enjoying the podcast series thus far, lots of great info and interesting personalities :) I hope you can keep it going for a long time.

I did have a few questions about some things...
- At the very end of Steve Solomon's interview he mentioned foliar feeding - are you aware in general of what his method is for that? Not spraying rock dust on the leaves directly, right?
- In one episode (possibly with Coot?) you mentioned sometimes amending your soil with 1/2 to 1 cup of your nutrient mix sometime in flower - I wonder if you could expand on that a little bit? I've seen plants kind of run out of gas at around that point so am hoping to get on that.
- Coot was down on flow-through worm bins - unfortunately, I already have one. But I have assume that if I cut down on kitchen scraps and feed more alfalfa/kelp/neem meal and homemade leaf mould and compost, etc, over time it should work out fine? Or is it more that the design of these bins means you can't let it sit for the needed amount of time?

Thank you very much! I really appreciate all the info.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Tad, I'm really enjoying the podcast series thus far, lots of great info and interesting personalities :) I hope you can keep it going for a long time.

- At the very end of Steve Solomon's interview he mentioned foliar feeding - are you aware in general of what his method is for that? Not spraying rock dust on the leaves directly, right?
- In one episode (possibly with Coot?) you mentioned sometimes amending your soil with 1/2 to 1 cup of your nutrient mix sometime in flower - I wonder if you could expand on that a little bit? I've seen plants kind of run out of gas at around that point so am hoping to get on that.
- Coot was down on flow-through worm bins - unfortunately, I already have one. But I have assume that if I cut down on kitchen scraps and feed more alfalfa/kelp/neem meal and homemade leaf mould and compost, etc, over time it should work out fine? Or is it more that the design of these bins means you can't let it sit for the needed amount of time?

I didn't listen to that part (about the flow through)...huh....interesting. I did kinda oppose the use of these for the reason that the material was not exposed for a sufficient period of time.

KIS

For foliar feeding, Steve likes to take a sulfate version or a chelated version of the micronutrient in question and spray it on the leaves for response. From what I've read, this may not be the most effective way for plants to assimilate many of these nutrients, but he claims to have good results.

With our soils we are adding a 1/2 c - 1 c per container at the end of the first week and end of 3rd week of flower as a way to get additional nutrients in the soil to help the plants finish. You can mix it with a bit of compost and lightly scratch it in when watering.

I can't comment on Coot's method regarding worm castings. I have more experience with what Tim (Microbeman) does in letting the worms work the material for a longer period of time. Be careful with vegetable scraps so as not to get the moisture content too high in the bin is all.

Phill84

Thanks!

I think what I will do for the worms is to buy a large SmartPot and put that underneath my flow-through setup and put some manure/etc in there to get it going, but just continue to add to the flow-through normally, empty that into the pot as needed, and then harvest from the pot as needed... Should be the best of both worlds, I hope!