Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Fungus gnats or WINGED ROOT APHIDS???

Thread Title Search
Fungus gnats or WINGED ROOT APHIDS??? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2010, 07:08 AM #11
attila76

attila76 will become famous soon enough
Don't fuck around, go back to clones/seed, you will not win otherwise.[/quote]

I've got to second that one, you will not win, even if you go to harvest it will be crap and subpar. Don't try to fight this pest with chemicals or pesticide. Give up! There is no hope! Kill it with lots of bleach, and then go to soilless mix let them get real dry before watering.

Bali man knows his stuff... no doubt... learned alot from him... I just disagree that they should be fought.

I will be forever scared by the damage they've done to me.
attila76 is offline Quote

0 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:36 AM #12
spleebale

spleebale will become famous soon enoughspleebale will become famous soon enoughspleebale will become famous soon enough
Also:
I am hearing the suggestion to go back to clones/seeds. However, I need to do what ever I can to save the round that is currently ready to switch to 12/12 (except for the hastily accelerating problem of leaf "rust-spot" necrosis which rapidly becomes completely crispy tips and side margins and then results in leaf death.)
I have been treating this problem as a Magnesium deficiency, but if it is I believe it is a result of damaged, unhealthy and underdeveloped roots.
I was wondering if anyone has good advice on whether to use normal strength nutes or lower, and whether to keep supplementing Magnesium (and if so, how much?)
Also: does anyone know what is best to use to repair damaged and unhealthy roots? I have been wondering if Voodoo Juice may help, but it is so expensive I do not want to buy it on a whim.
[I am growing in 4 different mediums (to see if one does better than others) but all are behaving the same - perlite alone, hydroton, coco croutons, perlite + coco croutons. I am watering them with sprayers on a timer (every 4 hrs) with GH nutes. I was doing a very low concentration (3-5-5 ml/gal Grow-MicroBloom) to veg them up.

Then the "mag defficiency" rust-spots and leaf edge and tip-death started showing (as it has before when the plants are getting big under HPS light, just about to bloom).

So I started supplementing with Mag-Amp (1% Mag Chelated, 4% Sulphur) when the problem showed up (not knowing about the aphids) starting at 2 ml/gal then up to 5 ml/gal. Then I started doing the Lucas Mix (0-8-16 - ml/gal G-M-B), in case the ratios I was using were off or I was not giving enough nutes for the amount of light. I have been using Hygrozyme and Roots Excellerator, SM90 and Zone to keep the roots healthy.

Then I found the aphids. - Did a strong Imid dose. Problems are still getting worse. What now?

I figure the roots are gnared up and that there is too much foliage/the light is to strong for the root mass/health. The are in a vert system, so unfortunately I cannot move the light further away :-(

Last night I tried 3 different myco products in 3 different plants (Oregonism, Myco Madness, Tarantula + Pirhana) - I had been using SM90 and Zone in the water trying to keep the roots healthy, but they were not able to with all the damn mites. - Stopped using them to try beneficials.

Any well-informed suggestions???

Thanks!

(Please only answer if you have good knowledge from experience or other reason to be confidant in your answer and not just conjectural thought - not to be rude but that throws people with grow problems off FAR too often!)

Thanks, everyone!

Last edited by spleebale; 02-15-2010 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: more info
spleebale is offline Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 07:53 AM #13
GeorgeSmiley
Remembers

GeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to all
Same problem. Chasing what I thought was a MG deficiency and a case of fungus gnats. Using mosquito dunks on the gnats like the one other time I got gnats. Didn't kill them. Nothing on the sticky traps really either. The aphids fly different than gnats I dunno.

Meanwhile I'm tracing down this MG def or PH problem even though I know my PH is good to go.

So because of some of the clones from multiple sources I had to treat everything in the garden, Procure for PM, floramite for mites and azamax mixed with the FM sprayed and soil drench of the azamax.

3days later and it looked like a morgue in my cabinet. Tons of dead flying and crawling things. I'm pretty sure they weren't gnats. They were in all stages of growth and death.

Can't find any crawlies after cleaning everything with bleach. Now I switched from FFOF to another mix.

Plants have started to grow normally. They are in fact starving because I held off feeding while trying to fix the PH/Mg "problem"

I'm do to retreat everything in a few days. Time to put the suit on resp on.... I'm vegging for a long time so this should all be clear by flower. (fingers crossed)

Cheers
GeorgeSmiley is offline Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 08:30 AM #14
spleebale

spleebale will become famous soon enoughspleebale will become famous soon enoughspleebale will become famous soon enough
Note to all who are going to go the treatment route: Choose Vectobac (liquid form) over Gnatrol! Gnatrol has stopped making the liquid form. 1 Lb of gnatrol has 1.36 B toxic units (and costs about $70). 2.5 gal Vecobac (liquid) has over 12 B toxic units for $150 (shipped). Sorry, berger: you overpaid ;-)

-WB

https://www.planetnatural.com/site/ve...o-control.html

(I also did find one source of liquid gnatrol - on first page of google search - I just was not sure about buying it: thought it may be old, or maybe not available anymore.)

0 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:00 AM #15
spleebale

bali or anyone with experience with it:
How much Orthene (Acephate) should I use/gal?
I have a system that waters multiple times a day - should I water with Orthene every time? How long should I do this for? Should I just do the last watering of the day with Orthene and then let them sit overnight? Then water with it again the next day and wait as long as possible before watering with regular water/nutes?

Thanks
-WB

Old 02-15-2010, 09:34 AM #16
bergerbuddy
Canna Coco grower

bergerbuddy is a jewel in the roughbergerbuddy is a jewel in the roughbergerbuddy is a jewel in the roughbergerbuddy is a jewel in the roughbergerbuddy is a jewel in the roughbergerbuddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleebale View Post
Thank you all for posting!

bali: Thank you very much for the update on the chems!

berger: Did you get decent yields after the heavy gnatrol regimen? How did they compare with before? Do you mean to say that you entirely got rid of them with that method and that you are getting normal yields now with none of the same problems? Did you have to use the gnatrol again after the first regimen? Did you have plants around that were in in different cycles of life, or just one crop at a time? Thanks!

Also: EVERYONE who has had them:
-Please describe the conditions you were growing in (CO2/no, high/low temp& humid, hydro/soil, heavy watering vs light) as extensively as you can
-Please describe what the damage was (how did it affect the plants? Particular symptoms/deficiencies/indicators they were doing damage) - post pictures if you can
-Please describe what they look like (if you can magnify them well) or take photos if possible (with really good magnification/macro lens) - it will help to know how many species of these things there are and if they need to be treated differently (I know one thread had BIG ol' suckers that are definitely not what I have)

Thanks!!!!
I have plants in diff cycles.... My room is sorta exposed to outside easily and so even if I got COMPLETELY rid of something... they could easily come back...

YES my yeilds and QUALITY is back.... I use the gnatrol as a PREVENTITIVE.

Use it heavily and often at first.... it only kills the larve which are the fuckers eating your ROOTS.... not the crawling around ones or the flying ones.... but the only damage they do that I can tell is LAY MORE EGGS.... it takes three weeks for their life cycle...

after two weeks you will see NOTICABLE results in growth and overall health.. it actually starts immediatly... but does depend on how bad you have them... However it starts killing the feeding larve and they start dying which in turn allows your plants roots to start building again....

Just plan on once you get the fucks under control... u will still apply gnatrol.... once a week... for a while until u are damn sure they are gone...

Don't hesitate to use the stuff... it does not affect the plant product...

It wouldn't hurt to get some good root enhancer like Canna Rizotonic to help your plants get on their roots again... but that is not absolutely necessary..

STOP SNITCHING!!

DR. RAND PAUL FOR US SENATE 2010!
Ron Paul's son, Rand Paul is running for US Senate!
https://www.randpaul2010.com

Detroit-based U.S. Attorney Stephen Murphy: "hydroponically grown marijuana is chemically supercharged and comparable to cocaine in its effects." July 2007
�Marihuana is Mexican opium, a plant used by Mexicans and cultivated for sale by Indians. "When some beet field peon takes a few rares of this stuff, He thinks he has just been elected president of Mexico so he starts out to execute all his political enemies." Dr. Fred Fulsher of Mineral County during testimony in 1934 ORIGINALLY making cannbis illegal.

If you want to support evildoing LIARS like this then be a snitch.. just remember and KNOW what you will become too... so STOP SNITCHING!!!!
bergerbuddy is offline Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 07:19 PM #17
Kindman69

Fuck fuck fuck, now I got to check too.....

Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 PM #18
Norkali

Norkali is a jewel in the roughNorkali is a jewel in the roughNorkali is a jewel in the roughNorkali is a jewel in the roughNorkali is a jewel in the roughNorkali is a jewel in the roughNorkali is a jewel in the roughNorkali is a jewel in the rough
EVERYONE who has had them:

-Please describe the conditions: Soil, standard room, high humidity though! I did not have nearly enough ventilation! Also, that fact also really promoted overwatering by lengthening the time that it took for the soil to dry, so I was jumping the gun without knowing it for weeks, compounding the problem.

-Please describe what the damage: No visible damage luckily, aside from some possible droop - but nothing that I noticed consciously, I caught them early when I spotted the crawlies in a pot, no fliers had appeared when I started battle with them.

-Please describe what they look like: Babies/larvae: Very small white bugs that have what looks like four legs, clear/whitish body, crawl around the rims of pots and top inch or two of soil...depending upon numbers they may be concentrated further down into the pot and may be collecting around drainage holes. (Notice, that if you have them at/in drainage holes that there are no visible roots, just yellow/light brown small specks of dying, broken down, roots. Adults: Fungus gnat look-a-like with a bigger, more round, black body; I agree that they are better at flying than fungus gnats and actually present a challenge in trying to find them and 'clap' them down....and the worst part: they don't fall for sticky traps - blue or yellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randude101 View Post
The weed business needs a unique type.
Norkali is offline Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 09:42 PM #19
GeorgeSmiley
Remembers

GeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to allGeorgeSmiley is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkali View Post
.and the worst part: they don't fall for sticky traps - blue or yellow.
That's one of the things that led me to believe they weren't fungus gnats.... the yellows were clean save for one or two.
GeorgeSmiley is offline Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 09:52 PM #20
3rdEyeWonder

3rdEyeWonder will become famous soon enough
I had them on my FIRST EVER run, and wasn't clear as to what they were....However, my crop was pretty good in yield and quality...what I noticed worked for me was a combination of the following:

- Watering my ladies with a little neem oil(only twice, a month apart, in veg)
- Letting temps drop a bit at night
- Applying Yard & Garden Safer Brand Insect Killer(which is a blend of insecticidal soap and pyrethrins) on soil surface(lightly, and only on those w the adults) and again on the bottom of my pots where the little disgusting babies that appear to 'jump' congregated....It never got rid of them COMPLETELY(although I temporarily did not see them anymore) but surely did see a decrease in overall numbers. I took the multi-faceted approach cause I wasnt about to let some lil buggers ruin my first harvest!

It's been months now and I'm prepping the space again...time for some bleach!

Good luck fellas!
3rdEyeWonder is offline Quote