What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flowering times for plants from seeds verses clones

Hi icmag.

I have experience growing from seed outdoors and clones indoors, but I have never flowered a plant from seed indoors, and then flowered a clone from that same plant indoors.

My question relates to the flowering time of a plant grown from seed, verses a cutting taken that same plant. More than once, I have seen others stating that plant from a clone will flower more quickly (after switching to 12/12) than the original plant from seed. Is it typically faster, and if so, by how much?

oti$

Sometimes the flower time can vary, sometimes a little shorter, sometimes maybe a little longer. You really won't know until you flower out that particular seed/clone. Some may experience a longer flower period with a seed plant because a seed plant won't start flowering until it is sexually mature no matter the light cycle, so you can flip a seedling and it may take some time before it even begins to flower, therefore appearing to have a longer flower time. I hope that makes sense and helps...

RockinRobot

Plants won't begin flowering until they reach a certain maturity regardless of the number of hours of light. When growing 12/12 from seed it will take about 3 weeks before the plant will start to show signs of flowering. Clones are already mature and will start to flower more quickly. However a seed plant and clone from same plant will still finish in the same number of days from first showing.

Thanks oti$ & RockinRobot. So it appears that a plant has a biological clock that starts when the seed begins germination. The plant then has to reach a certain threshold on the clock before it can begin flowering. If this is the case then a plant turned to 12/12 after two weeks of veg may take longer to start flowering than a plant turned after 8 weeks of veg before turning to 12/12. This could account for the perception that clones are quicker to flower.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Plants won't begin flowering until they reach a certain maturity regardless of the number of hours of light. When growing 12/12 from seed it will take about 3 weeks before the plant will start to show signs of flowering. Clones are already mature and will start to flower more quickly. However a seed plant and clone from same plant will still finish in the same number of days from first showing.

Many strains will have a shorter flowering time from clone vs seed.

Long flowering sativa's will finish flowering a few weeks earlier from clone than seed.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Yes absolutely.

Nevils Haze is one that for sure flowers faster from clone than seed.

The NL x Haze from Sensi i used to grow finished in 13 weeks from seed and 10 weeks from clone.

Also Vietnam Black was 14-15 weeks from seed and 11 from clone.

Latest posts

Latest posts