What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hush's hidey hole

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Thanks. I've been trying for many years now to move out west of the Mississippi. I finally made it. I'm now in one of those states that borders Colorado, so it's an easy day trip to get to Denver now, and I'm very excited about that! I'm driving out there this weekend, mostly because I have to get some things from the Ikea in Centennial, and I plan on hitting up a dispensary for some wax. If anyone recommends a dispensary, please feel free to mention it here. :D

Ikea ey?? They have lots of grow cabinet options!!

Glad to hear you made it closer to the party!! The wife and I have been talking about moving west for a while now. Cornfields aren't nearly as pretty as mountains! We were talking somewhere in the pnw, but really anywhere "west of the mississippi" would be a welcomed change of pace!

Anyways, good to see you back and doing alright! Now go find u a house so you can show us all how easy growing should be!! (Plus, ur prolly gonna need some meds soon) ;)

budsicles

So I moved across the country, and now I'm in a temporary house, so I have no grows at the moment. Everything is in storage, and my genetics are all in the refrigerator.

So you got rid of the AK47 mom? :cry:

That grow you did was such an inspiration for me. I found a wonderful ak47 around 5 years ago but trashed it due to autoflower tendencies. The autoflowering kept me from trying it again, even though my brother still talks about the exceptional potency it had. So your grow has given me the courage to buy another pack. Much appreciated.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Yeah sorry for my absence, everyone. Two important things have happened recently affecting my presence here. First, since I just moved across the country, and I'm pretty sure that was the last time for a long time, I'm now looking at real estate to purchase. And of course, this move meant that I had to start all over again with my gardens, and with genetics, while simultaneously learning my new environment and my new job. So I've been busy.

On top of all that, I suffered a mysterious injury that has caused me to be in chronic pain with a pinched nerve. I've been seeing chiropractors and other doctors, but no relief has come yet. It kind of sucks. I'm too young to have back and neck problems. :frown:

Anyway, I'm still around, and I plan on getting back into the groove again here on icmag. I'm harvesting my Orient Express in two weeks, so I'll document that. Then, I will do a full on journal for the grow following that, which will be PCK. I've already got the seedlings started, and they are waiting for the OE's to finish.

So, I just wanted to say I'm back.

:tiphat:

Hell yeah! Cant wait to see/hear about your orient express. Dubi seems to hold it in high regards. (Pun intended)

Good luck with getting your life situated.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I will say that the enormous size of the buds in this strain has blown me away! I don't think I've ever grown a more vigorous and/or productive strain before now. The one plant i have my eye on as a keeper has a solid, thick cola bud that is about 20 inches tall with absolutely no gaps in the internodes, and about maybe 4 inches in diameter. Just a solid baseball bat. And it's still a heavily-branched pheno, so there are lateral branches that have gigantic buds in their own right. Then, there are the more heavily Vietnam-leaning phenos that have grown so tall and branchy with huge buds that they grew past the light.

I'm seriously impressed with my first Ace strain. Not that I wasn't expecting that, but I didn't know to what degree before now. I'm easily going to pull about 10 ounces or so from a 400 watter in a 3x3 tent.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Alright, so on with the show

Alright, so on with the show

jKAuQDx.jpg

Okay, new grow.

Started 12 regular seeds, purchased directly from Ace. 11 popped. They are currently in a 2x2 tent, on a flood and drain table, under LEDs. In a few weeks they will be put under a 400w HPS. For now, they are being fed straight water but I will start feeding them on a light dose of Maxibloom soon. This is a pheno-finding mission, to obtain a mother plant, but there will be some pollen chucking going on too.

Stay tuned.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
:frown:

I just got my MRI results and found out I have a herniated disc in my neck. That's why I've been in chronic pain for almost 3 months now. Guess that means I'm gonna have to start growing CBD-heavy strains for the antispasmodic properties.

Anyone have recommendations for a good, strong 1:1 strain?

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
:frown:

Anyone have recommendations for a good, strong 1:1 strain?

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

I would recommend Juanita la Lagrimosa by Reggae. This is the "original" CBD strain, found accidentally when entered into a cannabis cup. She is a mostly "sativa" (NLD) hybrid with no ceiling. Very social. She is dominated by floral terpenes. I have a THC cultivar and a CBD cultivar. Check out my grow here.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Alright, just a quick update. Nothing really to report, except that I still haven't fed them yet. I guess there are more nitrates in my tap water than I knew. I need to test the EC someday. Anyway, they're growing and doing fine. I'm still waiting for the bigger tent to finish up the Orient express so I can put these under the HPS. When that happens, I'll try to reveg a few of the OEs in here. I wasn't expecting to want to keep any the OEs but they're so productive that I would be dumb not to. HUGE buds with that strain.

9kxlw5.jpg

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I chopped the main cola off of the first Orient express today. It was the quickest of the bunch, and the smallest too. Could've gone another few days but I need smoke. So I just chopped the top. The lower buds can keep going a little longer.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I've got another week to go before I harvest the OE that I've had my eyes on, and probably 2 weeks to go until the tall VB phenos are worth harvesting, so I decided today to adjust the timer to 11/13. I probably should have done that sooner, but I didn't think about it. Oh well.

Anyway, as soon as all of the OEs are harvested, the PCKs will go under the HPS. I've also just started feeding the PCK today. So they ought to take off here shortly. Then, once this small tent is empty again, I'll be starting a new strain up. Not sure which, yet: either Panama, Golden Tiger, Peyote Purple, or Bangi Haze. Probably the Panama, though.

The plan is to go through all of these seed packs as soon as possible, make mother selections while also pollinating various branches with various pollen (gotta keep my seed supply in stock), and then revert this small tent back into a mother garden again. I plan on having mostly (if not all) Ace and CBG strains. After decades of smoking all the common strains in circulation, I'm just putting my foot down on washed-out, diluted Dutch genetics. And since I'm an indoor grower with no real chance of starting my own breeding program from landrace seeds, Ace and CBG are the way to go. They've already done the important work of refreshing the cannabis gene pool, so why reinvent the wheel, right?

I kind of look forward to being able to respond to the question of "what do you want to smoke?" with the names of geographic regions, instead of Girl Scout cookie names that all apply to strains that are carbon copies of each other.

Yes, to say "Let's smoke some Panama, or let's break out the Congolese," would be quite a welcome change of pace.

I just don't really know if people truly understand what Ace and CBG have done for the cannabis community. I look around and I see that many people do... But the overwhelming majority don't seem to understand the degree of catalyst that these genetics are for the cannabis gene pool. I was one of these people, for a long time.

But it's time we all say goodbye to these Northern Lights and Super Skunk derivatives, in my opinion. That eliminates probably 90% of all strains. And that's where Ace and CBG have come to the rescue.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I just had my first sample of the earliest OE to be harvested. She came down after 62 days of flowering, and she was the smallest plant in the garden. Very Chinese leaning plant. Smells entirely like hash and nothing more. Zero bag appeal. But pretty strong, actually! I'm quite sedated. Little to no mental effects, but strong body high. I'm actual quite sleepy, and it's 3 hours earlier than my bedtime. So it appears this would be good insomnia medicine.

This was popcorn bud from a lower branch, dried for a couple of days and then flash dried in the microwave. It will only be better when smoking the properly dried and cured stuff.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I harvested another one of the plants' tops today, day 67. I'm only cutting the tops down so that I can leave the lower buds a little longer and be able to gauge the differences between early cut and later cut. So this one isn't the one I've had my eye on, but it sure is a nice specimen. Very nice branchy structure. The internodes are a little wider than the one I have my eye on, but the cola is nice and solid, dense. I took a picture but it turned out crappy. I'll post it anyway because it shows the size of the cola. Not bad.

9ixs0n.jpg

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Today I noticed that the one I've had my eye on has mold. It appears to be have been isolated, and I excised the affected part, but I decided to chop that one down today, day 70. Probably could have gone another week though. But yeah my environment isn't as perfect in my new place as it always used to be. Trying to adjust things. The rest appear to be alright, so I think it's just how HUGE this cola is. And dense. So this pheno needs hella airflow and probably even training methods like scrog or something, to keep the buds smaller. I don't know. I've seriously never grown, or even seen, a cola this long and dense before.

2a77qdh.jpg

That was just the central cola, after removing all the side branches, even the ones that usually still connect with the cola and make it look wider at the bottom. You know what what I'm talking about. This is just the ones growing right on the main stem. I have big hands, and my hand is dwarfed in this photo. So yeah, it's almost too big for me! I said almost.

I'm still harvesting the side branches. They are pretty big, too, so this is one productive pheno. And to think this was under a 400. I can only imagine what they would've done under the 1000.