What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Starting clones in potatoes

Tipunch

Hi, Anyone tried starting a clone in a potato like it is done with roses?
I'm trying since yesterday.

Take a potato, do a small hole, put your cut in it and wait a few days/weeks.

Cheers

Tipunch

Not too sure about the french fried mate lol
Basically on roses it produces a root system very quickly. Have a clone who has been in there for 5 days now, still alive

MrBungle

Roses have a thick woody stem.... comparatively cannabis stems are somewhat soft....

I would not take clones to save genetics this way, but for an experiment it sounds interesting!

troutman

Seed Whore
I wonder if mashed potatoes would work? :biggrin:

Cannnabis-Mashed-Potatoes-1024x750.jpg

Cannnabis-Mashed-Potatoes-1024x750.jpg

Budley Doright

Veteran
And another good thing about this idea....I guess...

is that fungus gnats love potatoes...

In fact...some folks put potato slices on the surface of their medium to lure the fungus gnat larvae ..... the potato slices are then removed....

once the fungus gnat babies move into the potato slices....

kickapoo

And another good thing about this idea....I guess...

is that fungus gnats love potatoes...

In fact...some folks put potato slices on the surface of their medium to lure the fungus gnat larvae ..... the potato slices are then removed....

once the fungus gnat babies move into the potato slices....
Thanks for the tip, will have to try that.

Tipunch

We'll see guys, its all trial and error in life, this clone is just alive becuz of the experiment so I'm sure he's a happy camper ;-) no gnats around for now and potato is in soil/coco. Will keep u guys posted on evolution. Cheers

brown_thumb

I dipped 14 cuttings in Clonex and buried the stems 5cm deep in soil then simply assured they didn't wilt much. All survived until later when they were neglected. Even now, 10 are doing well. No potty-toe necessary... just well drained good soil.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Potatoes have enough electrical charge to run a clock. I always assumed that helped encourage the plant to root.

The roseheads use the method for hard to root varieties.

And yes potato slices for fungus gnats!

Tipunch

Hi Guys, update time.

So it worked, cut has roots but looking back I would say this hasn't brought anything extra to regular soil technique.

Will stay in the roses section!

Thanks for watching,

TP