What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

55% Shade

floralheart

Veteran
Growing with 55% shade. It's white. It's a security fabric.

I'd like your opinion on growing with 55% shade. How much direct sunlight do I need to be successful?

Still the same 5 hours, or more?

bikhomes

I wouldn't use that 55% stuff, you're basically cutting your light in half.

If you're concerned about security, put that 55% on the sides and use a proper 91% greenhouse poly on top.

floralheart

Veteran
I wouldn't use that 55% stuff, you're basically cutting your light in half.

If you're concerned about security, put that 55% on the sides and use a proper 91% greenhouse poly on top.
Thanks for the input. And I'm still searching for more opinions and suggestions, so feel free to bring 'em along.

My main concern is helicopters.

I'm growing in an urban environment. Legal grower. Security conscious.

Our city has more than one helicopter, our neighbor city has more than one helicopter and there are occasional news helicopters in the area.

It's a challenge, but I believe it can still be done. Time to go scan the forums in search of success. :D

floralheart

Veteran
I have 2 ideas.

One, is a proper greenhouse weighing in at 16'x24'. Fenced in with $20 stockyard fencing from Home Depot or similar store.

The other is a grow box, measuring in at 3'x5'

I considered giving shade a go this year on the small box to test the result. Still I need to do my due dillegence and scan all the major forums to see what's working and how the results are from it.

New to outdoor. Can't wait to fuck it up and learn my first small lesson. :D

bikhomes

Yeah a friend of mine built a couple small boxes for his deck, I wouldn't imagine they would draw much attention. You could build a few of those instead of having 1 big eye grabbing greenhouse.

Remember too that the greenhouse poly film (the 91% stuff) isn't see-through. We just covered a few carports with Tufflite IV and when someone is inside you can just see blobs, no detail.

fireman

Yea i wouldn`t suggest using the fifty percent shading curtain. In this game light is obviously our friend and the more we can get the better so i would suggest getting a covering that decreases light intensity as little as possible IMHO. also those curtains if im not mistaken are really just supplemental so they arent coverings ya know you would still have to have a covering.

Most commercial grower utilize the shade curtains for several reason ( i.e.for its main purpose of cutting light intensity when its extremelly hot, also it can keep heat in at night if u put one on the side in winter so it cts as another layer of insulation.They are best for flowers who use little light intensity such as the African violet

You best bet is to just get a poly covering, which would definitely block a lot of prying eyes but most people in you area no what it is so not really.

so all in all in a game where light intensity is a plus you want to block as little as possible

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran

Sounds like you are planning on doing the same as me? These are a few pics of how my first grow in my metal shed with corrugated fiberglass turned out.

If your GH is in direct sunn all day you will have no problems growing some monsters in it.

GCG

That doesn't look like it lets any light through, but it sure got the job done. Also, Solex lets about 70-75% of light through, and still seems stealthy.

Rose56

I agree about not using the 55% shade. Lowe's has clear opaque corrugated fiberglass panels or you can get some Sollex (sp?) panels either will allow the light in but won't be transparent from the air.

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
I just ordered a portable greenhouse its 12x7x7 and didnt cost more than $100. The problem is that i live in a tropical setting and hot and humid is very typical. I want to use a white shade cloth and was thinking about 22%. I just think a light loss will be more than acceptable if it brings the heat down.

CrushnYuba

Agribon is what you need. Its woven and breathable. There are all different weights. The heavier stuff is for frost protection. The lightest weight allows like 85% light transmission. It does not trap air or heat. That's what u need. Its cheap also. U can't see through it. It keeps bugs out. It makes water bead off. But it breaths enough that u don't need to have open vents.

the_niño

you can barely see through the plastic anyways, i wouldn't bee too worried about a chopper seeing through it from however high up they are... also if you go with the double layer of inflated poly for the roof, nobody is seeing through it..

CrushnYuba

Lol. I heard someone say something about putting red xmas tree ornaments to make i look like tomatoes. Can't see it fooling anyone.

St. Phatty

There's a great article in the old magazine "Sinsemilla Tips" about a grower in Mendocino with 50% shade-cloth on his green house, in the 1980's.

He describes being in the green house with his crop watching LEO aircraft fly low overhead - and ignore them.