What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quantum Boards

knuckles

Veteran
Tagging along. Love these quantum boards. Ill be looking into these for sure.

I promise you’ll be happy with these bad ass lights...40%less energy used compared to hps,and better results overall in terms of yields and quality.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Bmac1

Veteran
No disputing those pics knuckles. Great work as per usual. Ive caught myself with that 550 in the cart a few times but im only 3 runs into my new cmh light. Id imagine the 550 is similar in heat to a 600-630 watt setup?

knuckles

Veteran

Goats

You won’t see a difference in temps as you’ve replaced 600w with 600w,but you will see a big jump in yield as the light is way more efficient.nice grow!

sorry, don't think i mentioned, i am running the 600h @~500w currently!

Koondense

Veteran
Electrical work translates to a range of photons with different energies, some fit in par range, some are out like IR.
Following your logic where does the extra light from leds come from if all work goes into heating?
Different balances between hid and led, that's all i'm saying.
What should i do with your link, it's useless.

Great looking plants btw ;)

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I've got 2x HLG 550 v1 and v2. They are just amazing. Controlling the heat is very easy. The light is bright white and full spectrum. They can be dimmed down to about 50% which is nice for maintenance and such. No more worry about that awful stretch for some strains during the first two weeks of flower. This light keeps that under control. MH/HPS/CMH can't match it or even come close to the efficiency.

-Funk

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Electrical work translates to a range of photons with different energies, some fit in par range, some are out like IR.
Following your logic where does the extra light from leds come from if all work goes into heating?

https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/power/Watt_to_BTU.html
1 watt of electricity produces 3.4 but of heat. That's a fact that can't be disputed. The major heat difference between led and other light sources is the amount of watts is spread out over a larger area than an hps bulb. Still the same amount of btu's being produced they are just spread out so the heat is not concentrated in a small area.

The reason folks are able to use less air conditioning is that for what ever reason plants can handle the heat much better under led allowing you to run your rooms warmer and the ac is not running as much. Between savings on cooling and no bulbs to replace were major factors in my decision to switch to qb's. Now after making the move I have noticed my yields have improved by at least 1/2 if not doubled.

rlsmooth

How long these HLG Quantum Boards last? Just started to research this led technology and looks like these are where it's at, but haven't caught information anywhere how many hours these should work before losing spectrum etc. things you have to consider with cmh and hps.

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
so i picked up a hlg288 v2 and hlg100. going from various hps with huge reflectors to these credit card like panels was mind blowing.

I dont think i would of been able to grow this summer without them, its been so hot here.

Robney

I think what knuckles is getting at - these numbers are completely hypothetical, but if a hps distributes its energy as 80% PAR and 20% IR and the led has 100% PAR and 0% IR, at any wattage the led will produce more light as a function of the way energy is distributed. I don't think knuckles said that energy from the led is going into heating, rather the energy lost from an hps to IR is creating heat separate from the heat created by activity in the PAR spectrum. So from my example with numbers if you have a 1000 watt hps (with 80% par, 20% IR), 800 watts are being put into the PAR spectrum while 200 watts are being put into the IR spectrum, meaning that the 200 watts are creating heat with no photosynthetic benefit.

Knuckles, is that purple plant a Chimera cookies s1?

knuckles

Veteran
I think what knuckles is getting at - these numbers are completely hypothetical, but if a hps distributes its energy as 80% PAR and 20% IR and the led has 100% PAR and 0% IR, at any wattage the led will produce more light as a function of the way energy is distributed. I don't think knuckles said that energy from the led is going into heating, rather the energy lost from an hps to IR is creating heat separate from the heat created by activity in the PAR spectrum. So from my example with numbers if you have a 1000 watt hps (with 80% par, 20% IR), 800 watts are being put into the PAR spectrum while 200 watts are being put into the IR spectrum, meaning that the 200 watts are creating heat with no photosynthetic benefit.

Knuckles, is that purple plant a Chimera cookies s1?
No it’s a Gelato33 x wedding cake from seed junky,it yields way better than chimera s1,but does not have that rip yer face off effect chimera does,taste was excellent though.

Robney

I really wish I had grabbed the cookies s1 when I had the chance, sounds like a lot of people found special phenos in there. But at the same time, I ended up with a couple cookie clones, so I hope whichever pack would have ended up in my hands went to someone who would never be able to acquire one of the cookie clones. I do wish Chi would have confirmed which clone floating around is the true cookies...

Back to the topic of quantum boards...

Glue under a quantum board
picture.php

OGKB 2.0 under the quantum board
picture.php

Goats

How do you like the 600h?
I’m thinking of getting two of them for a 4x10 flowering area in a room I’m currently constructing.
Def want to go led, love the quantum boards and was going to get two 550’s, room design changed a bit, so looking at 600h possibly, or any more info on the HLG “elite” if it’s out there and worth waiting for.

missed this post months ago.

growerslights claim the 600h lights a 5x5 area so i think two of them would do you in that 4x10 area. you'll need them a good 24-30 inches above to get full spread.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Robney said:
I do wish Chi would have confirmed which clone floating around is the true cookies...

What, what?

Confirming the plant by chemical analysis & then offering S1 seeds from said plant, the one that matched the exact chemical profile as sold by the reputable dispensaries selling the original product wasn't enough?

I mean honestly, what fucking more could you have asked for?

Robney

What, what?

Confirming the plant by chemical analysis & then offering S1 seeds from said plant, the one that matched the exact chemical profile as sold by the reputable dispensaries selling the original product wasn't enough?

I mean honestly, what fucking more could you have asked for?

Whoa whoa whoa, I didn't mean that in any hostile way here Chi! I'm sorry that came off as some sort of attack, I have the utmost respect for you and what you have done. I got nothing but love for you man! I've been a big fan of everything you have done since I started growing. Your genetics have provided me with wonderful plants and I can't wait to run through each of the packs I've grabbed of your stuff.

I did not mean to imply you didn't do enough. What you did was amazing. You performed the most thorough clone genetic research project for mj I have ever heard of. And knowing your standards, I have every reason to believe that you found a cannabis unicorn, a 100% legit gsc cut out in the wild. The cookie fam has done such a great job keeping the details surrounding cookies a mystery. People are still guessing what the parents were, many aren't sure which clones going around are even close to it, or even the original. And you cut right through it with thorough scientific research. That is incredible. I didn't mean for it to come off as you needed to do more, it was more of a wish to just know all the inputs and outputs of the whole project, see how all the clones are stacking against each other, to know which one is the real one. Maybe one of the cuts out there is even better than the original, that would be something! I'm sorry Chi. I didn't mean in any way to be disrespectful for you or the work you have done. I'm grateful for it all. Gonna run some more of your Hawaiian Spice soon, I think it's the best sativa I've ever had!

I'm sorry Chi. I hope you understand where I'm coming from, it's nothing but love, no disrespect, just genuine curiosity. If I never found out which is the original, that's cool, cookies is just one of many of the amazing things out there. Can't wait to see what genetics you'll be producing next! Hope to see you beans pop up somewhere soon. I wish the best for you and yours Chi!

Robney

I don't wanna derail this thread any further.

I've found quantum boards to produce very nice flowers. I found there to be phenotypic change comparing the end results of HPS to a quantum board, glue leaned further to the sour dubble side where as under the hps she leaned towards the chem influence; sour dubb seemed a little stronger under the quantum board vs hps, little racier in the high; ogkb 2.0 was a bit abused, but was exceptional potent, maybe a little more so than under hps, but I need to run more ogkb 2.0 under hps to really conclusively say that. All in all, I'm extremely impressed with the board, they produced dense flowers at a real low wattage and still produce quality light. Though I am surprised at how hot they can get, I thought it was the sort of thing where you could not have to run any fans, cool to the touch, but then my temps popped up to over a 100 (summertime here), and I needed over mitts to touch it if it had been running. But with adequate air exchange, there was no need for an air cooled hood like with hps. So another factor for using less electricity. For the first test in the new cab, it was real good, I'm gonna run cmh and hps in the same cab with the same strains over the next bit to do a real comparison. I'll report back, though that may be a bit down the road. Take care everyone :tiphat:

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
I’m not butt hurt about it Robney.

Sometimes a well placed fuck can make it seems so, but honestly I was just playin’ with you. After all this time online a lot more than that to get me truly riled

Latest posts

Latest posts