What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bobbles Strawberry DD Big Cola Contest

Mister_D

Veteran
Bobble, myself, and possibly others will be having a contest to see who can grow the biggest Strawberry DD cola. Currently this is all for fun, but who knows, as things develop maybe a prize of sorts could be added. Anyone in possession of this clone is welcome to participate. Everyone else is welcome to follow along :dance013: Rules, if any, will develop with the aid of anyone willing to toss an idea out there :biggrin:. Just thought of this yesterday, so the idea is in it's infancy still, bar with me.

Anyone wishing to participate should let it be known in this thread. That way we can start to see not only who wants in, but also start developing a time frame for the contest.

Alright bought the ticket, let's ride this strange beast until the wheels fall off :plant grow:

The Rules
(currently subject to change)
Contest: Greatest total mass of fruit or flower derived from a single plant

1. Plant must be Bobblehead's Strawberry DD Clone only. Unless you know somebody that has it, you can't get it. Sorry :comfort:

2. All inputs must be declared. This includes, but is not limited to: nutes, additives (defined as anything other than NPK and micro nutes), co2, media used, lighting (amount of bulbs and what wattage), horizontal, vertical, or hybrid, foliar spray (application schedule and mix recipe), etc.

3. No PGR's of any kind, natural or otherwise. This includes rooting powder, seaweed, alfalfa, gravity, snow storm, etc.

4. Clone should be 6" in length at time of cutting (Pic with measuring tape to confirm length required.)

5. Lighting for all stages of growth should not exceed 1200w.

6. Flowering must commence not longer than 42 days after the cutting is taken. There is no penalty for flowering earlier if desired.

Think that's all we have so far.

Last edited:

green_thumb...

Strain Whore Extraordinaire!
Veteran
If I can get a cut im down to grow some gnarly rdwc trees in my tree machines.

Might he hard if theyres different cuts out there tho.

Mister_D

Veteran
I'm gotta see this:lurk:

Welcome, first seat taken :biggrin:

If I can get a cut im down to grow some gnarly rdwc trees in my tree machines.

Might he hard if theyres different cuts out there tho.

Have to know somebody in the inner circle to get this cut. Selected by bobble himself. Like highlander, there is only one :tree:. If you know somebody that has it, you are welcome to participate. If not, you'll just have to take a seat next to SA, spark one up, and watch the festivities :biggrin:

bobblehead

Veteran
I am the current heavyweight champion...
picture.php

We need to set some parameters... Whether they're clearly defined or anything goes...

My dog is about to lose her bedroom for this. :biglaugh:

So are we going with 1 plant? how many watts? veg time? supplemental CO2? I use triacontanol an omri pgr and I'm getting some kelp that contains cytokines..

I'll throw up to 2kw at her... but maybe we should cap it at 1kw, 1 plant? 4 week veg from rooted clone no more than 6'' in height?

are we going only on cola girth or total yield as well? Maybe we should develop a point system...

Otherwise I already have 3 plants under 2kw....

srgb has been kind enough to offer a free 5gal srbgb for the winner.

Mister_D

Veteran
Here here

Edit: I think I'm just spectating, but I may partcipate. Who the heck knows.

You should participate bro. Seeing more scary diesel may depend on it :biggrin:

I am the current heavyweight champion...
View Image

We need to set some parameters... Whether they're clearly defined or anything goes...

My dog is about to lose her bedroom for this.

So are we going with 1 plant? how many watts? veg time? supplemental CO2? I use triacontanol an omri pgr and I'm getting some kelp that contains cytokines..

I'll throw up to 2kw at her... but maybe we should cap it at 1kw, 1 plant? 4 week veg from rooted clone no more than 6'' in height?

are we going only on cola girth or total yield as well? Maybe we should develop a point system...

Otherwise I already have 3 plants under 2kw....

First of all you're only champion because I haven't flowered any of mine yet :laughing:, secondly, :respect:, that bud is epic, and third, yes we need to establish some ground rules.

Current thinking:

1. Plant limit - 1
2. Wattage limit - 1200w I don't do 1k's and some others might not either.
3. Bulbs - As many as you want, so long as total wattage is 1200w or less.
4. Veg limit - 24" tall from media surface. No topping. All other forms of training are allowed.
5. Grow style is dealer's choice. Anything goes from organic soil to HP aero. Horizontal, vert, or hybrid lighting.
6. No PGR's! Natural or otherwise. I want this grow to be about skill, not additives.
7. PK boosters are fine (so long as they don't contain PGR's).

I think we could develop a point system that allows fellow members to vote on certain aspects of each grow, say creativity, biggest main cola, etc. Then also designate a set amount of points for biggest yield over all. Once everyone has harvested, I'll setup a poll so people can vote. We'll tally the points, and the winner gets a 5 gal. SRGB. Big thanks due to SRGB for donating a prize :respect:.

Everybody is encouraged to toss in their thoughts and ideas for how to structure this contest most fairly, and allow the community to be involved :thank you:.

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
SDD History?

SDD History?

Howdy gents :wave: nice idea you got here

Was curious on the linage or heritage of the Strawberry DD, wheres it from that kind of stuff :)

:lurk:

SRGB

Official

Official

bobblehead:

Mister_D:

We'll tally the points, and the winner gets a 5 gal. SRGB. Big thanks due to SRGB for donating a prize :respect:.

Hi, bobblehead. Hi, Mister_D.

Thank you!

We will pledge one (1) free 5 gallon Square Root® Brand Garden Bag to the undisputed winner of this contest.

Good luck!,
/SRGB/

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Perhaps add in some measure of GPW? (That is, a 1 oz bud under 600 oughtta be "worth" as much as a 12 oz bud under 1200, no?) A handicap of sorts, to equalize..?

Or am I being party pooper?

Sh*t, I'd have to go get another one anyway.. :tumbleweed:

Edit: Nice photos bobble ;)

Mister_D

Veteran
Perhaps add in some measure of GPW? (That is, a 1 oz bud under 600 oughtta be "worth" as much as a 12 oz bud under 1200, no?) A handicap of sorts, to equalize..?

Or am I being party pooper?

Sh*t, I'd have to go get another one anyway.. :tumbleweed:

Edit: Nice photos bobble ;)

I like your thinking here. GPW could definitely be incorporated into the judging. Not sure how we'd fairly incorporate a handicap, but it's something to be considered.

bobblehead

Veteran
You should participate bro. Seeing more scary diesel may depend on it

First of all you're only champion because I haven't flowered any of mine yet, secondly, that bud is epic, and third, yes we need to establish some ground rules.

Current thinking:

1. Plant limit - 1
4. Veg limit - 24" tall from media surface. No topping. All other forms of training are allowed.
5. Grow style is dealer's choice. Anything goes from organic soil to HP aero. Horizontal, vert, or hybrid lighting.
6. No PGR's! Natural or otherwise. I want this grow to be about skill, not additives.

I think we could develop a point system that allows fellow members to vote on certain aspects of each grow, say creativity, biggest main cola, etc. Then also designate a set amount of points for biggest yield over all. Once everyone has harvested, I'll setup a poll so people can vote. We'll tally the points, and the winner gets a 5 gal. SRGB. Big thanks due to SRGB for donating a prize :respect:.

Everybody is encouraged to toss in their thoughts and ideas for how to structure this contest most fairly, and allow the community to be involved :thank you:.

24" off the surface leaves a lot of grey area for veg time... Just saying...

Bud size is what it is.... If you choose to run 600W and don't get the benefit of overlapping light from running 2 lamps, that's your problem small time. gpw should be calculated with veg time, b/c 24" off the surface is vague... I can do a 4x8 scrog with 1 plant and 1200w.

Howdy gents :wave: nice idea you got here

Was curious on the linage or heritage of the Strawberry DD, wheres it from that kind of stuff :)

:lurk:

Straw dd is original strawberry diesel x chem bx1 from cocktail frank. They were a server fund donation. I grew the seeds when I started back up after returning from a trip in South America. The rest is history.

Last edited:

SRGB

Mister_D:

Current thinking:

1. Plant limit - 1

Hi, Mister_D.

Curious about #5, #6 and #7. Phosphorus and potassium `boosters`, but not triacontanol? `Tria` can be found in alfalfa meal, among other `natrually` occurring materials. If `Anything goes` at #5 is applicable, perhaps plant growth regulators might be considered inclusive. Additionally, there might not be any magic that a gardener could employ to outmanuever another gardner with this type of contest, but, if so, as long as all of the inputs are declared, at the consclusion if those particular inputs were advantageous (or, not), all of the participants will know of the efficacy of those implementations.

If the magic works, they should win! Yet, very little might be as simple as that, with so many variables to manage. The time factor of the contest might also be advantageous or conversely disadvantageous to adding any exotic inputs. Perhaps permitting each gardener to express their own gardening liberty - within a definitive time frame will result in either an edge, or an unrecoverable mistake versus a simple approach of another contestant. Perhaps let each do what they willst, and be responsible for their declared inputs, whether they result in pluses or minuses for them.

A basic outline, perhaps helpful as a base reference for objectives, goals, rules, standardization, etc.:

• Cultivar: Strawberry [sic].
    • Characteristics
      1. Typical total flowering or fruiting duration: [X days].
      2. Typical fruit or flower expression: [Dense][Airy][Other, optional].
    • [Other, optional]
  • Contest requirements:
    • Same cultivar stock.
    • Declaration of all inputs, i.e.g., illumination, media, nutrients, C02, foliar feeding [,Other].
    • [Other, optional]
  • Contest restrictions:
    • Stock cutting size and type.
      1. Four (4) to six (6) inches.
      2. Can be cut from any part of the donor plant.
      3. [Other, optional]
    • Media amendments, growth regulators, C02, other supplements.
      1. If amendments, growth regulators, C02, or other supplements
        used, type, amount and rate of application must be declared.
      2. [No amendments, growth regulators, C02, or other supplements][Other, optional]
  • Contest updates:
    • Contestant updates.
      1. [Mandatory][Optional]
      2. [Weekly][Monthly][Other, optional]
    • [Other, optional]
  • Contest start time:
    • [Agreed Upon][Date][Time]
    • [Gardener decision][Date][Time]
    • [Other, optional]
  • Contest end time:
    • [Agreed upon][Date][Time]
  • Contest judging criteria and methods:
    • Contestants must be declared by [Date][Time].
    • Contestants must declare selected single final item by [Date][Time][Request extension, optional]
    • Criteria
      1. [Visual mass][Other, optional]
      2. [Actual mass in weight][Other, optional]
      3. Voting begins on
        • [Date][Time]
        • [Date][Time][After granted request for extension]
      4. Voting concludes on
        • [Date][Time]
      5. One vote per applicable voter for a single contestant. (Please give propers and attribution after
        contest to other contestants, not as more than single vote cast for different contestants.)
  • Change log
    • Revisions to constest rules
      1. [Date][Time][Revision, list Section from above and specific changes]
      2. [Date][Time][List changes]
      3. [Date][Time][List changes]
    • Gardener status
      1. [Date][Time][Status: Contestant [Name] requested 1 week extension][Approved by 100% of Contestants: [Date][Time]]
      2. [Date][Time][Status: Contestant [Name] requested 1 week extension][Approved by 75% of Contestants: [Date][Time]]
    • Issues
      1. [Date][Time][Issue: Contestant [Name] undeclared final entry by agreed upon. (See VI.A.)]
  • Other

By no means a definitive outline, but it could perhaps serve as a model to edit. Linked in signature? Posted at #1? So contestants, voters, and casual observers can be all on the same page relevant to time frames, rules, changes, issues, other.

We hope that this post might be helpful.

Regards,
/SRGB/

Mister_D

Veteran
24" off the surface leaves a lot of grey area for veg time... Just saying...

Bud size is what it is.... If you choose to run 600W and don't get the benefit of overlapping light from running 2 lamps, that's your problem small time. gpw should be calculated with veg time, b/c 24" off the surface is vague... I can do a 4x8 scrog with 1 plant and 1200w.

Was thinking about this after posting. Perhaps it's better to say 24" of main stem growth? Thinking a limit on veg time should also be implemented, maybe 3-4 weeks. Thoughts?

Mister_D

Veteran
A basic outline, perhaps helpful as a base reference for objectives, goals, rules, standardization, etc.:

• Cultivar: Strawberry [sic].
    • Characteristics
      1. Typical total flowering or fruiting duration: [X days].
      2. Typical fruit or flower expression: [Dense][Airy][Other, optional].
    • [Other, optional]
  • Contest requirements:
    • Same cultivar stock.
    • Declaration of all inputs, i.e.g., illumination, media, nutrients, C02, foliar feeding [,Other].
    • [Other, optional]
  • Contest restrictions:
    • Stock cutting size and type.
      1. Four (4) to six (6) inches.
      2. Can be cut from any part of the donor plant.
      3. [Other, optional]
    • Media amendments, growth regulators, C02, other supplements.
      1. If amendments, growth regulators, C02, or other supplements
        used, type, amount and rate of application must be declared.
      2. [No amendments, growth regulators, C02, or other supplements][Other, optional]
  • Contest updates:
    • Contestant updates.
      1. [Mandatory][Optional]
      2. [Weekly][Monthly][Other, optional]
    • [Other, optional]
  • Contest start time:
    • [Agreed Upon][Date][Time]
    • [Gardener decision][Date][Time]
    • [Other, optional]
  • Contest end time:
    • [Agreed upon][Date][Time]
  • Contest judging criteria and methods:
    • Contestants must be declared by [Date][Time].
    • Contestants must declare selected single final item by [Date][Time][Request extension, optional]
    • Criteria
      1. [Visual mass][Other, optional]
      2. [Actual mass in weight][Other, optional]
      3. Voting begins on
        • [Date][Time]
        • [Date][Time][After granted request for extension]
      4. Voting concludes on
        • [Date][Time]
      5. One vote per applicable voter for a single contestant. (Please give propers and attribution after
        contest to other contestants, not as more than single vote cast for different contestants.)
  • Change log
    • Revisions to constest rules
      1. [Date][Time][Revision, list Section from above and specific changes]
      2. [Date][Time][List changes]
      3. [Date][Time][List changes]
    • Gardener status
      1. [Date][Time][Status: Contestant [Name] requested 1 week extension][Approved by 100% of Contestants: [Date][Time]]
      2. [Date][Time][Status: Contestant [Name] requested 1 week extension][Approved by 75% of Contestants: [Date][Time]]
    • Issues
      1. [Date][Time][Issue: Contestant [Name] undeclared final entry by agreed upon. (See VI.A.)]
  • Other
By no means a definitive outline, but it could perhaps serve as a model to edit. Linked in signature? Posted at #1? So contestants, voters, and casual observers can be all on the same page relevant to time frames, rules, changes, issues, other.

We hope that this post might be helpful.

Regards,
/SRGB/

I think this will be useful :biggrin:. As the idea develops I'll edit my original post.

bobblehead

Veteran
The size limit should be on the clone. I proposed 6". Do you want to start with bigger clones? The veg time should be set to 4 weeks or 28 days, period. If you can grow a tree in that time then props to you. This is a test of skill.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
If you choose to run 600W and don't get the benefit of overlapping light from running 2 lamps, that's your problem small time. gpw should be calculated with veg time, b/c 24" off the surface is vague... I can do a 4x8 scrog with 1 plant and 1200w.

Sigh.

Y'alls butts - right up 'em. All of 'em!

Mister_D

Veteran
The size limit should be on the clone. I proposed 6". Do you want to start with bigger clones? The veg time should be set to 4 weeks or 28 days, period. If you can grow a tree in that time then props to you. This is a test of skill.

6" clone works for me (pic required of cut used with measuring device to confirm length i.e ruler or measuring tape), 28 days veg from time clone is cut (~ 2 weeks to root, and 2 to grow). Should provide plants small enough for silver to play :biggrin:.

Latest posts

Latest posts