What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

You have the right to remain silent

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Getting arrested is a growers worst nightmare, and anyone else for that matter. What you do and say at that time can make a big difference in whether you lose your freedom.

The best advice that I, or any Lawyer will give you is to keep your mouth shut. You have that right. USE IT.

The police may tell you that if you cooperate things will go easier on you. They will tell you anything to get information from you. Cops are trained to do this. Don't fall for it. Don't do anything until you have had a chance to speak with a Lawyer. Ninety nine times out of a hundred you will do nothing but hang yourself and anyone else that may be involved. Don't buy any stories the cops tell you. Your best chance at beating any charges is to politely tell the arresting officer that you wish to excercise your right to remain silent until you can speak with a Lawyer. If you can't afford a Lawyer the Judge will appoint one to speak with you. You may have to spend overnight in jail, but it's well worth not putting yourself behind bars for a much longer period of time.

If you're only being questioned, and haven't been arrested, keep your mouth shut. The rules are the same. By talking, all you will do is talk yourself into being arrested. Cops have a way of making people think that by cooperating, they will be better off. They will twist anything you might say into what they want it to mean. You need to keep your mouth shut and say nothing. It may be hard, but by preparing yourself ahead of time you can save yourself a whole lot of grief. Remember, be polite and tell the Officers or Detectives you wish to say nothing......

Last edited:
if u haven't been arrested, do u actually have to go in for questioning? if so couldn't u say that ur will wait till ur lawyer arrives and go with him? there wouldn't be any reason to actually go with the cops.

My personal rule is, if ur not arresting me then why can't i go home?? Because even if ur on the side of the road, before the cuffs are on, if he pulls u out and u deny the search, don't say a word after. remember that if u admit in any way to knowing contraband is in ur possession u make ur life and ur lawyers much more difficult.

right or am i crazy??

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JJScorpio again.

PEACE OUT

oh and this is the most useful sticky on the site IMO.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's one of the biggest misconceptions there is. You do not have to go with a police officer unless you are being placed under arrest.

Wonderon

If you know how to work with bittorrents then this is the best video on the topic I've ever seen. Very good info posted here but this guy goes a bit more in depth. Wish I could just post the vid here, but sorry you gotta go get it for yourself but I am betting you'll be happy you did! I use Utorrent to dl from PB.

How to Talk to the Police
by Prof. James Duane

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4190724/How_to_talk_to_the_Police_by_Prof._James_Duane_(XviD)

Main points:
In praise of the fifth Amendment right to not be a witness against yourself.

Why I am proud to admit that I will never talk to any police officer.

Last edited:

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
JJScorpio said:
That's one of the biggest misconceptions there is. You do not have to go with a police officer unless you are being placed under arrest.

Oh yeah. Here's a line for everyone (in the usa at least) to tuck away just in case:

"Officer, am I free to go?"

If the answer is anything other than "no" get the heck out of there!

Also, you don't have to answer the door if the police stop by to chat!! All you are doing is giving them the opportunity to lie and say they smell pot, thus giving them access to your place, warrant free.

Avoid that discussion in the first place, as they aren't there to ask about your recipe for Apple Brown Betty!

Great thread JJ, hope you don't mind the extra commentary.

youngdro

when i was 18 my mom let a cop in the house.

that was the first mistake. NEVER let a cop inside. either talk through the door, open a window, or walk outside and close the door behind you. or just dont go near the door at all and let them knock as much as they want.

once the cop was inside he asks my mother to get me. i crawl out of bed with a hang over and he tells me that i "NEED" to go with him. stupid me.

some kid started a fight with me and i split his head open. he went to the ER and the cops asked him what happened. he snitched after starting the fight.

i end up in the questioning room and i admit the entire thing. they arrest me. it went to court and it was dismissed ASAP cause there was no proof i did anything wrong except defend myself and do a damn good job.

spent a night in jail. wasted 750 bucks on bail. 10% of the 7,500.

i could have avoided this whole fucked up situation by doing a number of things.
ONE of them would have been staying silent.

the cops LIED to me saying they would tell the judge that i wasnt cooperating, and they would ask for the highest sentence possible, and if i waste their time im gona be in jail being someones bitch blah blah blah.

so yeah. just keep in mind cops lie lie lie. keep silent. they cant throw the book at you for being silent.

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
JJ: excellent thread. Very good idea. Truly altruistic....some + rep. for your efforts.

trademanny

Wonderon said:
If you know how to work with bittorrents then this is the best video on the topic I've ever seen. Very good info posted here but this guy goes a bit more in depth. Wish I could just post the vid here, but sorry you gotta go get it for yourself but I am betting you'll be happy you did! I use Utorrent to dl from PB.

How to Talk to the Police
by Prof. James Duane

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4190724/How_to_talk_to_the_Police_by_Prof._James_Duane_(XviD)

Main points:
In praise of the fifth Amendment right to not be a witness against yourself.

Why I am proud to admit that I will never talk to any police officer.

Folks, if you read every thread in this forum and search on everything, you MUST watch this video. It is a spectacular presentation on your rights and gives you great insight on how your rights work and how police exploit them.

Also, don't bother with the torrent, watch it here online:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4097602514885833865 -- James Duane "never talk to the police"

Also, watch this too -- this is part 2, given by a police officer that watched the previous presentation. Another GREAT video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6014022229458915912&q=&hl=en -- Officer George Bruch "james duane is right" ;-)

Wonderon

trademanny said:
Folks, if you read every thread in this forum and search on everything, you MUST watch this video. It is a spectacular presentation on your rights and gives you great insight on how your rights work and how police exploit them.

Also, don't bother with the torrent, watch it here online:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4097602514885833865 -- James Duane "never talk to the police"

Also, watch this too -- this is part 2, given by a police officer that watched the previous presentation. Another GREAT video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6014022229458915912&q=&hl=en -- Officer George Bruch "james duane is right" ;-)

Props for the links to the vids, I didn't know about them, only posted the torrent link cause thats where I found it. The torrent is both of the files in one for anyone interested in saving the video. Def, worth watching and saving IMO.

G

I just gotta say.....a former buddy of mine told me about police training he completed recently. His first day was the 4th of july friday night...heheh long night...anyways, he told me all about how they teach you different lies you can use and ways to trick people in to self incrimination. I just said "he he dumb criminals..." and got the fuck out of there. Cops are TRAINED to lie to you. Here are a couple things to remember....these apply to normal cities...i know some country-ass bumpkin towns are fucked up where the DA is the mayor and the city council president and his brother-in-law is the justice of the peace, and the chief of police is his fishin buddy that he want to 'nam with in ''68 blah blah blah

1) Cops have no power to further hurt you in court, they just testify like anyone else. A cop cant "tell" a judge to give you a higher sentence and a cop can't "tell" the prosecutor to charge you with a certain crime. They arrest you, make the report, and the DA and judge will see only their handwriting on paperwork til the trial comes around or the charges are dropped.

2) Cops dont care if you did or did not committ the crime. If they have any inkling you MIGHT have committed a crime the will arrest you now and let the "justice system" determine your guilt or innocence.

3) Cops can't help you out. Unless a cop wants to totally pretend an illegal incident didnt occur, they cant do you any favors. Once you are cuffed and going to the station there is no "putting in a good word with the judge" etc. This is a mirror of num 1 above.

4) you CANNOT talk your way out of anything. If you can, tell it to your attorney. let him do it on your behalf if you have such a great explanation

5) Your opening statement to the police needs to be something like "am i under arrest or officially detained becuase i really need to go" if the answer is yes then you should reply "if thats the case I do not want to waive any of my rights of freedom from unreasonable searches of my person or property, i want my attorney present for any questioning, and until he or she arrives i will exercise my right to remain silent." dont do that shit for a traffic ticket....just if you think you are REALLY about to get it. If the cop says no you neeed to say something like "have a nice day" and then get the fuck away ASAP.

6) Most snitches give up all the info in the interrogation room on audio tape right after being arrested. this is a part of the "cop-lie" bullshit they are taught....they will still throw the book at you regardless of what you say

7) Good cop/bad cop routines work really well. Just watch "The First 48" on A&E to find out....there is no good cop, only good attorney. they are all BAD COPS!!!

Cops are the coolest becuase they let you know right when they arrest you how to keep trouble minimized.......You have the right to remain silent

ANYTHING YOU SAY OR DO WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU IN A COURT OF LAW

Last edited:

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To be honest a cop can hurt you further.

Many times if a plea gargain is presented the Judge or DA will ask the cop how you acted during the time of your arrest. I have seen plea bargains denied because an accused threatened the cop during his or her arrest. Cops also confer quite often with the DA regarding what charges they might add or dismiss against the accused.

That's why it's important to be very polite when excercising your rights. Not only can running your mouth get you maced, beat down and charged with resisting arrest, but it can also hurt you come sentencing as to whether or not you go to jail.

I have a story to tell that might help someone. I had a friend who would always play the cops like a violin. Anytime we were talked to by the police he would always tell them that he was "mildly mentally retarded" and he couldn't understand what they were saying. If they continued he would pretend to be upset and tell them "they were picking on him because he was a retard". After this they would immediately leave him alone. Even when other cops came they would tell them he was retarded and to not question him. I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but I can tell you it sure got them off his back, lol.....

G

a plea bargain usually means you narked though right? i mean, if they think you know everything about an illegal operation and you REMAIN SILENT the whole time and refuse to testify, etc.......they wont be offering a plea.

G

i forgot to mention....JJ is right on the money about the politeness and calmness with which one should behave. never raise your voice, talk all fast and flustered, or interrupt officers speaking. "Pardon me may i ask a question" and "hey hold on lemme tell you somethin muthafucka" both have the same goal, one gets answered with words, the other with a stick...

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
andyaub said:
a plea bargain usually means you narked though right? i mean, if they think you know everything about an illegal operation and you REMAIN SILENT the whole time and refuse to testify, etc.......they wont be offering a plea.

Unless you have commited a severe violent felony a plea bargain is almost always offered. If they didn't the courts would be stuffed with trials and people would be having charges dismissed to time limitations. If I recall correctly there were around 2000 felony arrests last year in my county of residence. I think of them 2000 arrests, a half dozen or so went to trial. An average trial can tie up a court for a week or better in trial time alone. They have no choice but to offer lesser sentences to clear the courts calendar....

Believe it or not, cops have no respect for rats, but they need them. Over 80 percent of cases are solved by rats or people ratting themselves out. Unless they're a full time informant the cops usually have the rat put away for a different crime in short matter....I think police actually respect someone that is polite yet chooses not to rat....

Last edited:

devilgoob

Veteran
Cops lie! They will lie to a judge just to get their case won and have done it to my friend.

DON'T BE INTIMIDATED. I took it to the extreme once when I was completely drunk and it was obvious. He said my friend is getting a DUI and I shouldn't have let him drive. I argued saying the only thing we were driving around for was a key. I also said my friend was just fine to drive and that I was watching him as he drove. The cops was cool with it because he loved me because I am a bullshitter :)

Just argue/negotiate ;)

One time a cop told me he could smell weed on me and that I looked high. I told him I was around friends and was nervous because of the smell+him and therefore my eyes were glazed over a little.

Ive been high once again, with a cop, he said I looked high and wanted to search me. This was when a whole party was gettin busted (14 ppl). I smiled and laughed, told him I just got some pussy! He laughed and said "ok, but im still breathalizing you."

I guess lying to cops even is even like stealing, what a rush! I dont recommend it, but I did it with great results :)

G

I guess i was more referring to peeps that think if they nark to a cop with nothing in writing and no attorney to witness that they will get off scott free somehow......its more complex than that...though i doubt your average scared, immature 17 year old realizes that.

Shlomo

For my Canadian friends, memorize the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. And if you can't remember the whole thing :)joint:), then remember the sections pertaining to legal rights:

7. Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.

8. Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable search or seizure.

9. Everyone has the right not to be arbitrarily detained or imprisoned.

10. Everyone has the right on arrest or detention

a) to be informed promptly of the reasons therefor;
b) to retain and instruct counsel without delay and to be informed of that right; and
c) to have the validity of the detention determined by way of habeas corpus and to be released if the detention is not lawful.

11. Any person charged with an offence has the right

a) to be informed without unreasonable delay of the specific offence;
b) to be tried within a reasonable time;
c) not to be compelled to be a witness in proceedings against that person in respect of the offence;
d) to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal;
e) not to be denied reasonable bail without just cause;
f) except in the case of an offence under military law tried before a military tribunal, to the benefit of trial by jury where the maximum punishment for the offence is imprisonment for five years or a more severe punishment;
g) not to be found guilty on account of any act or omission unless, at the time of the act or omission, it constituted an offence under Canadian or international law or was criminal according to the general principles of law recognized by the community of nations;
h) if finally acquitted of the offence, not to be tried for it again and, if finally found guilty and punished for the offence, not to be tried or punished for it again; and
i) if found guilty of the offence and if the punishment for the offence has been varied between the time of commission and the time of sentencing, to the benefit of the lesser punishment.

12. Everyone has the right not to be subjected to any cruel and unusual treatment or punishment.

13. A witness who testifies in any proceedings has the right not to have any incriminating evidence so given used to incriminate that witness in any other proceedings, except in a prosecution for perjury or for the giving of contradictory evidence.

14. A party or witness in any proceedings who does not understand or speak the language in which the proceedings are conducted or who is deaf has the right to the assistance of an interpreter.

Here's a link for your records.

C

Cozy Amnesia

Everything said here is all very true and helpful. But when the shit hits the fan and you're really baked, it is really hard to not give in to the pigs lies and exercise you're rights.

I'm talking from experience. I had just moved into my dorm room and had no one to smoke with and no car so I thought I'd just blow the smoke out of the window. Right after getting a little too high, a cop knocked on my front door because someone living down the hall smelled weed coming from my room. My blood turned to ice. I felt pure horror for the first time in my life.

I went into the hallway and closed the door behind me. He told me why he was here and I told him that I couldn't help him and that I wouldn't let him in. He told me that I would be kicked out of here if I didn't cooperate and then HE STARTED READING ME MY RIGHTS! At this point I was scared shitless and forgot all about protecting my rights. I was certain that no matter what I did he would search my room. I had some poppy pods (that I bought legally local but illegally prepared them for consumption) that I didn't want him to find, so I just opened the door and we walked in and I handed him the pot and the bong (which I spilled bong water out of because I was so high and frazzled from the experience) hoping that he would just take it and leave. Well he didn't, not after writing me a citation.

Listen people, be prepared! I was not. I gave into his lies, and payed for it. But I had the last laugh :muahaha: (another story for another time).