What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Desert Southwest Growers Union

E

EatShitake

Howdy, Folks! :wave:

This will be a thread for those of us growing in the not-so-lush parts of Cali, NV/AZ/NM/UT/CO or wherever else that fits our unique climes. We can post and rant about topics such as:

-extreme heat
-extreme cold (yeah, it happens!!!)
-low humidity
-what to do in wide open spaces
-anything and everything not already mentioned.

So everybody roll up a :joint:, spark up your :smoke: , hit the :bongsmi:,come on in and let's have some fun!

Last edited:
E

EatShitake

I'm loving the fact that the weather where I'm at has FINALLY turned for the better (cooler) :headbange No more $500+ power bills!!!

Right now, I'm finnishing up some plants that have been forever infected with whiteflies. They don't look so great, but they don't look beyond repair. After this run, I'll be retiring my current lineup to ensure my next run starts out completely borg-free. I've got the following seedlings, waiting to be cloned/sexed:

Venomhead by Fjallhoga
Dream Goddess by MOD
Original Thai haze x Skunk by Sam

On tap:

Bubba Kush S1's and Purple Kush Landrace by Breeders Choice

My current purpose for existence is manyfold: make good music with friends, pay some bills, find a few good mommas to cultivate, make a custom cross. *No rules exist saying this has to happen linearly*

Warm and toasty wishes, everybody! :rasta:

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
I'm there!
At 5000 ft., at most a month away from our first frost date, but probably less.

Finish up girls!

E

EatShitake

Welcome aboard, zymos! Got some outdoor girlies going?

Good luck with the finnish. Post your strains, and feel free to throw up a pic or two here!

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
My strains this season are all Heinz 57- used some accidental seeds from a friend who grows a wide variety.

All seem to be more sativa than indica,judging by height and leaf shape. The couple earliest are on the skunky/earthy/hashy side, and will be ready in a week or two. One pine-sol one is kind of in the middle, and I've got some sweet smelling cherry/grapefruit lovelies that will be last (and those are the ones I worry most about finishing in time).

One good thing about my climate is even if the buds get rained on, they dry out quick enough to prevent mold and mildew. Plus we get lots of strong sunshine here.

This season isn't even over, and I'm already stoked for spring of 2008!

G

nevada in the house, strains include chem double d, greenthumb og kush, pink diesel, and crosses made with these, and some arcata trainwreak s1 also crossed. I hope we get some more desert rats on board because I dont know any growers and would like to set up a share the genitics circle

E

EatShitake

zymos- I'm not familiar with the Heinz 57. They sure sound good, though. And you're right about the humidity-rather lack thereof-I've never had any mold problems here. I hear ya on next spring- I really want to try my hand at a backyard project greenhouse. I get brutal summer temps and no shade. Any hints on strain selection would help. Planning on a DIY greenhouse with a swamp cooler. I have the perfect spot on my patio.

grizz!!! :wave: Welcome aboard, compadre! Fellow desert rat, here. Those sure are some killer strains! Do you ever do any outdoors? Feel free to post up any pics or anecdotes here. This could be a nice little hangout within an already cool hangout that is IC.

I know a grower or two in town and a few others in the SW, but none of them are online. I figured maybe I could show 'em some progress, so -voila, a new thread, and maybe convince one of them to get on board.

Have a great Saturday night, everybody!

:joint:

G

eatshitake yeah I have 2 outside now.,and the rest inside I also grew in a greenhouse in Px ariz years ago, it can be done with the right swamper and light control with black plastic or tarps, also lived in NM but havent had a chance to grow there yet. If you dont mind me asking what state are you in? I understand if you dont want to say. security at all cost my 2 OUTSIDE PLANTS WERE STARTED inside and put outside later one in july and one about 3 weeks ago. both are og. the one is just about ready to chop. Its a great idea to start this thread. keep recruting.

E

EatShitake

Awww man. How's the one that went outside in July? Jul and Aug are the most brutal months I know here. Did you need shade cloth? I grow tomatoes, which roughlyhave similar growing needs, outside here. Everything gets crispified if you can't give DAILY attention. I'm still a lil squeamish about growing a full, natural cycle outdoors here. I do put plants outside at various times, though. Got some small ones right now. Some males that I can collect pollen from.

Good luck with your OG's!!

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Heinz 57 Varieties Ketchup.
As in:
"Hey-what kind of dog is that?"
"Him? He's just a Heinz 57"

G

the heat has been brutal here also, the plant I put out in july adapted well and started to flower imeditly, I had it between a block wall and a tree like thing that has leaves alot like mj so it got parcel shade, the heat dident seem to slow it down much and it has cooled of real well the last three weeks and its just about ready, zymos did you get some nice phenos from your 57? always fun to see what you end up with.

Old Soul

Veteran
I would love to get a couple outdoor here but the weather is brutal. I am on my second grow indoors and it has been a challenge just to adjust with that. Moved here from the midwest. I am so glad the weather has started to cool off. The nights and early mornings have been awesome.

Peace

G

great to have NM IN the house I still have a place there near silver city. hope to retire there soon and do some serious growing. I havent got my decoder ring yet either but im sure you are a offical member now and the check is in the mail. What strains ya got going?

E

EatShitake

Welcome aboard Kaleem and OldSoul. :wave:

Hey, post the link up- the more the merrier here! Everyone here is an official member, I suppose. I wish you guys had dropped in earlier, because I sent the last decoder rings out yesterday.

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Haven't had any problems with heat per se, tho' my plants get a bit of shade on and off through the day. But as long as they have enough water, I haven't seem 'em hurting.

In NM too, BTW...

hazy

Veteran
i only grow indoors:

dreamgoddess
biko
nycd
big bang
MoD
and more

i think if i was going to try outdoors, i'd go with a mandala, like kalichakra.
some sunscreens over the top to protect them from sun and nosy planes.
i wish i had an area surrounded by oleanders or bamboo.

even in my closet when the temps got up over 115, i lost a bunch of germing seeds and stressed some plants bad. had to increase venting.

Last edited:
Yeeeeeehaaaaaaaw cowboys howdy. I cant get any humidity out here. I hate how this effects me indoors but whatever. I have had one outdoors out here that was more for fun when i gave an autoflower to a friend and it grew in the summer heat. Crazy but the buds were purple. THe calyxes not the leaves. Irrigation is the key. Gotta love it.

peace

G

floppyfundanglr said:
Yeeeeeehaaaaaaaw cowboys howdy. I cant get any humidity out here. I hate how this effects me indoors but whatever. I have had one outdoors out here that was more for fun when i gave an autoflower to a friend and it grew in the summer heat. Crazy but the buds were purple. THe calyxes not the leaves. Irrigation is the key. Gotta love it.

peace
welcome floppy one thing can get your humidity up swamp cooler. they work great for desert growers