What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

onavelzy vs. Aspen - rootin tootin christmas 2017!!!

Ahhh! I'm late! I'm pulling up a bucket anyhow. Aspen, you've got this (everyone loves a comeback story). Ona, fine job with yours. My money is on hydro when it comes to roots and overall vigor. Oh and thanks as well to nameless for officiating the bout!

onavelzy

Veteran
8 days ago, the two different cups roots looked like this in their 10-12 oz containers:

View Image

tonight, d28, in one gallon containers (or whatever size that is--the nursery guy told me they were 1 gallon pots but they only hold 1/2 gallon of water), set 1 looks like this:

View Image

Of the vented pots, this one had the best development imo:

View Image

I didn't unpot all of the square pots with solid walls as I doubt they looked a whole lot different than the first set and I'm going to give these clones away.

I did cut the first set in half to see what the internal root ball looked like, but the visual effect is very unimpressive since the roots didn't stand out as bright white. I also washed out as much of the coco as I could in the ones I cut in half. The solid cups had the longer threads of roots but the vented cups had a more dense root ball. If decision making comes down to those kinds of details, I have the pics in my "Flowers and other non cannabis topics" album.

I don't know how they will compare to Aspen's work but I thought that was pretty good growth for 8 days

I had planned of donating the Trainwreck clones but everyone who said they wanted them backed out. I ended up dropping them off on a picnic table at Swami's, one of the surf breaks here.

Swamis-sign.jpg

I left 4 TW's and a couple of extra ogkb 2.0's, all mature 1 g plants. I ran a couple of errands then drove by the drop off about an hour later. They had been claimed. That'll do.

onavelzy

Veteran
im still here!!! been busy as hell. sorry to hear about your issues aspen, ona i will devote some time to your pics asap ive gotta get my own pictures uploaded and posted...
big update in my thread

Thx Nameless.
And, that box of See's Peanut Brittle in the pic above? Just a little sumthing sumthin for them's as what does good work. :comfort: :biggrin:

onavelzy

Veteran
Ahhh! I'm late! I'm pulling up a bucket anyhow. Aspen, you've got this (everyone loves a comeback story). Ona, fine job with yours. My money is on hydro when it comes to roots and overall vigor. Oh and thanks as well to nameless for officiating the bout!

Definitely. It's a risk/reward thing, It's like a BMW or Mercedes: When it works, it works great. When it doesn't work great, it can be death on a stick

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
I had planned of donating the Trainwreck clones but everyone who said they wanted them backed out. I ended up dropping them off on a picnic table at Swami's, one of the surf breaks here.

View Image

I left 4 TW's and a couple of extra ogkb 2.0's, all mature 1 g plants. I ran a couple of errands then drove by the drop off about an hour later. They had been claimed. That'll do.

I bet you made someones day, like hitting powerball :biggrin:

Oh man and how. Great analogy. I've fought the grim reaper for the life of my babies on more than one occasion. Luckily they recover fast with hydro. So was the net pots a good idea after All? If it does stunt them, it may be useful for keeping bonsai moms in...

Last edited:

onavelzy

Veteran
Oh man and how. Great analogy. I've fought the grim reaper for the life of my babies on more than one occasion. Luckily they recover fast with hydro. So what convinced you to try using what looks like a hydro net pot for air pruning vs any of the air pot style pots or bags?

Aspen posted a link to this professor who is a guru of sorts on rooting other kinds of plants, like trees, garden plants etc. He is a proponent of air pruning from just a few days after popping the seeds.

She did a bunch of reading on the topic and posted a couple of links. I commented on the issue. She offered to see which of us can grow the best. It eventually got refined to a 28 d root growing challenge, judged by a grower we both acknowledge as an expert, Nameless.

I was ina hydro store and saw the smaller version of that ventilated pot, about half the size of a solo cup and thought it would be the perfect early air pruning pot. I didn't really grow them with those cups the way I should have for straight air rpuning. I put the ventilated cups inside of some solo cups. I think that prevented the roots that made it to the edge of the coco from drying out and heading back into the coco. SO as you cn see, there's plenty of roots showing through the vents.

I mainly did it to see if either cup approach seemed to have a clear advantage in growth. I didn't see any difference in top growth. The biggest negative for the net pots would be getting the pots off if the roots are let get too advanced. Next time I have a set of clones (about a week from now) I'll try them with no outer cup and see how it changes the amount of roots in the coco ball compared to this run.

As for possible stunting from pulling the pot when up potting, no, not really. That last set of pics shows 8 days of growth after pulling off the smaller net pots(approx 1/2 pint) and transplanting into what I think are 1/2 gallon net pots. In my very limited experience, that is pretty nice growth for just 8 days. So they didn't get stunted or shocked at all

onavelzy

Veteran
I bet you made someones day, like hitting powerball :biggrin:

I wonder how they'll do. They're in coco and will need a repot soon. I didn't leave pages of instructions so if the ppl who got them think it's soil, it could go south pretty quickly. Hopefully, they'll repot them soon and maybe put them outdoors (SoCal, we don't do -6 degrees). They'll do fine if so.

I doubt they'll know what they have with either of those strains. That's ok. There'll be no biases or expectations to start off with. Just grow free, legal weed and hopefully there'll be a happy surprise come harvest time

onavelzy

Veteran
Silly as of this moment your clearly in the lead....
I had great runs with rooting solution I had... Now unavailable... It just fell apart and turned to sticky grey white gloops in the bottom of my res... It only took about an hour to fall out.... But It kinda coated the stems... The rockwool cubes had awful order to them and went to shit overnight after about 9 days... ThAnks MBFERTS...
I did however get all traces of the nasty stuff out of the cloner that has messed it up over time and killed tones of cuttings........ Bio Slime ....and my new stuff is here... So its time to get started up...

calendar starts with day of cutting but I'm not counting any grow that doesn't make into soil/coco or whatever. A cloner fail isn't a valid win imo. As they say on the first tee in golf, hit until you're happy.

:plant grow:

Thanks for the backstory on this! I agree with your solocup idea. The net pot should have made a seal inside the solocup. That would have trapped moisture and allowed the roots to survive vs drying out ie being air pruned. Just my thoughts. I believe they will air prune just fine sans solocup.

One of the hardest thing to do for me is killing extra clones. I bet you made someone's day, no matter how they turn out!

Aspenou812

Veteran
That original cloning compound from mb ferts was like lightning in a bottle.... But I guess it got old on me..they got popped adding pgr...so its unavailable.....I will be using KLN and Sicilla...and maybe a dry cloning mix on half of the rockwool cubes.... Should be good... I may use the dry mix in the turbo klone.... Haven't decided just yet...

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
TIME FOR TWO TURNIPS IN HEAT

picture.php

so thats a pretty stout show from ona, ill be honest im impressed. also, although its not the main focus of the competition, we all know how important timing is when taking clones. so based on a very solid show, good presentation, and impeccable timing, im awarding ona the secret prize. it may also be a consolation prize if aspen wins :biggrin:

onavelzy

Veteran
8 days ago, the two different cups roots looked like this in their 10-12 oz containers:

View Image

tonight, d28, in one gallon containers (or whatever size that is--the nursery guy told me they were 1 gallon pots but they only hold 1/2 gallon of water), set 1 looks like this:

View Image

Of the vented pots, this one had the best development imo:

View Image

I didn't unpot all of the square pots with solid walls as I doubt they looked a whole lot different than the first set and I'm going to give these clones away.

I did cut the first set in half to see what the internal root ball looked like, but the visual effect is very unimpressive since the roots didn't stand out as bright white. I also washed out as much of the coco as I could in the ones I cut in half. The solid cups had the longer threads of roots but the vented cups had a more dense root ball. If decision making comes down to those kinds of details, I have the pics in my "Flowers and other non cannabis topics" album.

I don't know how they will compare to Aspen's work but I thought that was pretty good growth for 8 days

I got asked to show the two net pots side by side as they come in a variety of sizes and it wasn't easy to see what changed to what degree. AFter the first days of rooting in grodan cubes, the initial pot I put the rooted cubes into is the one on the left (it seems like its about 1/2 to 2/3's of a pint), then I up potted to the one on the right (which is something less than a half gallon) and finished 8 d later

picture.php

onavelzy

Veteran
But of coarse.... Aeroponic Cloner and a Fogaponic veg with no pots..... And rockwool cubes.... I'm going after a rooting Jungle....

Have fun with that. Just send me the address where you want the winnings to go.

You know you can throw anything up in here Ona... LMAO... i'm not going to tell ya to fuck off... i mean again... LMAO.... All your questions and comments are welcome here... I got You... Were going to both be seeing what a proper air pot root system is like.... Tell you what... We can see who has the best root system.... a voter's choice.... A contest... Let's make a BET.... I'll bet ya two Zips ill win... :biggrin: :biggrin:

A misunderstanding on my part. I read your challenge to be one of comparing our air pruning approaches to getting root systems. Congrats.

Take care