What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Better image quality on icmag ?

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
I have seen some posts on here where users include really nice quality images. But with my posts and pictures no matter the quality on my computer it scales it down and looks like garbage once posted.
Sharing our grows is all about the pictures and I want to have them be high quality and enjoyable showing the beauty of each shot.
rollitup.com seems to have better quality pictures on threads posted. I would prefer to post on here though, anyone have any input on this ?

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
The way I do it is to upload images to my albums here on ICMag...

Then I view the image. I right-click on the image and copy the image location, and then using the add image icon above, paste that into the post I am writing about at the moment, and there it is, filling the space, looking good!

picture.php

And there it is...
album.php

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
But then again, a picture is only going to be as good as the photographer can make it.

mushroombrew

Veteran
I resize images to 800x800 @150 dpi. Or make the longest side 800 (i.e.800x600)

Upload. Then insert image from album. Uploads are quick and the quality is great.

Try something different.

But yeah Payaso said it best above!

The way I do it is to upload images to my albums here on ICMag...

Then I view the image. I right-click on the image and copy the image location, and then using the add image icon above, paste that into the post I am writing about at the moment, and there it is, filling the space, looking good!
Hi Payaso,

I have an issue with the whole process of uploading photos and agree with [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PaulieWaulie that it could be much better. For example, the image below is straight from the [/FONT]ICMag Member and Supporter Benefits page which clearly states that a "member" has a image file size limit of 150Kb

picture.php

Yet when I go to upload some pictures it only allows the file size to be 117.2K ! - see image below.

picture.php

If I try to upload images at just under 150Kb it downgrades their image quality significantly to conform with this 117.2Kb limit. Why are these two limits contradictory to each other and which is the correct one??

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Its an attempt to reduce bandwidth to reduce the cost of others looking at your pictures. You can pay and have the Max size increased, but unless you are selling seeds here, most don't.
Other sites can swallow those costs a little easier because there's only a hand full of views compared to this site.

Thanks for the answer GMT.. but it still doesn't tell me why my actual limit is less than the official limit. Furthermore, when I was a sub-50 post "New member" my file size limit was actually 146.5Kb so it's gone down since!

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Oh, er, isn't there a difference in file limits depending on if you upload into your album, or directly into the post? I'm sure there was also a diff for file extensions ie jpg BMP etc. Going on memory though so prob not.

Sorry, no, I just checked, I'm on 117.2k too

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Shouldn't Ads on here pay for the costs of running the site? High Volume = High Ad Views = High Revenue. Additionally any money should be coming from vendors using this platform to generate income. I just don't think shrinking pictures to low resolutions is the answer here. Plus Im still not sure that all pictures get auto reduced. There are some people here posting beautiful big pictures. I will try the method that you guys described.

I usually go to manage attachments, then upload, and then add pictures I think and click from there after selecting full view picture or something like that.

I guess if i add them to my photo album first, it will maybe upload in higher resolution and then I can add pictures from my photo album directly and it will retain quality.

Either way I love this site, but also feel that its pretty outdated and could use an overhaul. The scene is blowing up, I think sites should along with it no ?

either way I love it here and will continue posting and reading everyday. still new so lots to learn with the features

mushroombrew

Veteran
Shouldn't Ads on here pay for the costs of running the site? High Volume = High Ad Views = High Revenue. Additionally any money should be coming from vendors using this platform to generate income. I just don't think shrinking pictures to low resolutions is the answer here. Plus Im still not sure that all pictures get auto reduced. There are some people here posting beautiful big pictures. I will try the method that you guys described.

I usually go to manage attachments, then upload, and then add pictures I think and click from there after selecting full view picture or something like that.

I guess if i add them to my photo album first, it will maybe upload in higher resolution and then I can add pictures from my photo album directly and it will retain quality.

Either way I love this site, but also feel that its pretty outdated and could use an overhaul. The scene is blowing up, I think sites should along with it no ?

either way I love it here and will continue posting and reading everyday. still new so lots to learn with the features

I figured out how to post big pics. I insert from album. The pic will appear twice in html

The second set of html has "1768671&thumb=1" The pic number and thumb=1

Delete "&thumb=1" from the end of last line. Pics will post big.
Maybe there is another way but thats how I get big pics!!

I figured out how to post big pics. I insert from album. The pic will appear twice in html

The second set of html has "1768671&thumb=1" The pic number and thumb=1

Delete "&thumb=1" from the end of last line. Pics will post big.
Maybe there is another way but thats how I get big pics!!
Hey mushroombrew, I like your improvisation in order to display big pics in your posts, but there is an easier way. Just set your insert images tab to original only as shown in the following graphic.

picture.php