What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why grow hemp?

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Our super-Moderator Yortbogey brought this information to my attention and I want to pass it along to all you who are interested.

Production

Cultivated industrial hemp plants usually consist of a spindly main stalk covered with leaves. Considered a low-maintenance crop, hemp plants typically reach between 6 to 15 feet in height. Depending on the purpose, variety and climatic conditions, the period between planting and harvesting ranges from 70 to 140 days.

One acre of hemp can yield an average of 700 pounds of grain, which in turn can be pressed into about 22 gallons of oil and 530 pounds of meal. The same acre will also produce an average of 5,300 pounds of straw, which can be transformed into approximately 1,300 pounds of fiber.

Industrial hemp may be an excellent rotation crop for traditional crops, because it suppresses weeds and decreases outbreaks of insect and disease problems. Hemp may also rebuild and condition soils by replacing organic matter and providing aeration through its extensive root system.

Prices
Industrial hemp seed costs up to $1.23/lb. In 2011 prices averaged between $.90 and $1.00.

Financials
Based on most recent production and price averages, the estimated value of hemp per acre is $21,000 from seeds and $12,500 from stalks.
Sources
Canadian Hemp Trade Alliance (CHTA).

European Industrial Hemp Association (EIHA).

Hemp: A New Crop with New Uses for North America, Ernest Small and David Marcus, 2002.

Hemp as an Agricultural Commodity, Congressional Research Service, 2013.
Hemp Industries Association - Association working to change regulations and policies prohibiting the use of hemp for commercial purposes.
Industrial Hemp, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Ontario, Canada.
Industrial Hemp Production in Canada, Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development, 2012.

Industrial Hemp Statistics, Statistics Canada, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, 2008.

National Hemp Association, Industrial Hemp Information.

http://www.agmrc.org/commodities-pro...dustrial-hemp/

Thanks Yortbogey!

If anyone else has any resource information this would be a great place to post it :)

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
great to see this idea for a section becoming reality. great call Yort.

hemp farmers and rec farmers will need to agree on a safety belt of land distance, else you will have hemp farmers destroying the rec and med flower producers crops. hepa filter is good for inside but fields of flowers will be impossible unless the hemp growers agree on certain rules. like surrounding their fields with a barrier of tall plants, something to slow that male pollen down a bit.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
great to see this idea for a section becoming reality. great call Yort.

hemp farmers and rec farmers will need to agree on a safety belt of land distance, else you will have hemp farmers destroying the rec and med flower producers crops. hepa filter is good for inside but fields of flowers will be impossible unless the hemp growers agree on certain rules. like surrounding their fields with a barrier of tall plants, something to slow that male pollen down a bit.

if hemp takes off like it used to be grown, indoors/greenhouses will be the only viable option, i'm afraid. if that is what it takes, i'll work with it.:tiphat:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Why don't hemp farmers plant all feminized seeds? Problem solved, where's my Nobel Peace Prize?

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
have yet to find any info on fem hemp... let alone a viable source
would think this has already been done... if not ... it's bound to happen ....with a quickness...

PDX Dopesmoker

Why don't hemp farmers plant all feminized seeds? Problem solved, where's my Nobel Peace Prize?

Theres already a guy on the forum who sells feminized hemp seed in bulk. Hopefully socioecologist will come in here and answer questions, but his posts in this thread https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=330712 are worth reading. He seems to be growing for CBD production rather than fiber or the dreaded grain (info about grain growers mixing badly with sinsemilla growers is in that thread), but its all hemp in the eyes of the law.
Fiber growing sounds like it could be an interesting beast. Imagine a bunch of hippies decide that their 38% THC bud can't get much danker so they tack slightly and instead spend the next few decades worth of pleasure seeking energy and cannabis expertise trying to breed the most comfortable source of underwear.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
have yet to find any info on fem hemp... let alone a viable source
would think this has already been done... if not ... it's bound to happen ....with a quickness...
It's happening or about to happen....just not huge news item....yet.

Emmay_Dee

Most of the time its grown for its seeds oil anyway. Unless for cbd then you either grow it because your passionate or because the permits were cheaper and it conceils an illegal operation. Take your pick

~Peace~

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Most of the time its grown for its seeds oil anyway. Unless for cbd then you either grow it because your passionate or because the permits were cheaper and it conceils an illegal operation. Take your pick

~Peace~
That may be true these days, but the stalks are what they make rope and canvas and stuff like that from. What a great plant!!!

oldchuck

Veteran
Theres already a guy on the forum who sells feminized hemp seed in bulk. Hopefully socioecologist will come in here and answer questions, but his posts in this thread https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=330712 are worth reading. He seems to be growing for CBD production rather than fiber or the dreaded grain (info about grain growers mixing badly with sinsemilla growers is in that thread), but its all hemp in the eyes of the law.
Fiber growing sounds like it could be an interesting beast. Imagine a bunch of hippies decide that their 38% THC bud can't get much danker so they tack slightly and instead spend the next few decades worth of pleasure seeking energy and cannabis expertise trying to breed the most comfortable source of underwear.

I've had some chat with socioecologist about his product. They are not breeding for fiber or seed but high CBD fems. He seems quite proud of his seed lines but they are way more expensive than low cannabinoid hemp varieties. Cheaper than dope seed but you have to buy 7,000 seeds minimum order.

Emmay_Dee

I was one of ten people that cut clones and fed the entire La Junta, CO operation. Those plants lab tested 22-28% cbd. After multiple failed attempts to start new seed stock in late 2015 viable pollen was applied to certain mums showing traits and qualities more suited for a massive outdoor operation from being cut and duplicated so often clones would lose vigor because 300,000 were taken from a handfull of moms that remained from 3 original particular bred genomes. One of our Colorado phenomes was purple with a massive indica style leaf. One particular large lady had a silver kinda albino branch on it. Genetics on these kind of plants are so wacky it is damn near impossible to breed. And thats why that price is so high. I grew one of these plants from seed and it topped itself somehow and grew 2 heads. Smelled kinda like cherry cheesecake

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran

because fiber is not the only option, seed crops, and seeds can be used .. for not only plant it..
eat it, extract oil, use it as a bait in fishing,,

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I found this wild hemp field in 1975, in northwest Missouri...It was at least 80 acres...

I dried and smoked some, (who wouldn't have tried that in 1975?) but didn't get any kind of buzz at all...
Similar to if I smoked dried leaves I found in the woods...

Attachments

• 86.JPG
    86.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 84x.jpg
    84x.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 44

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
picture about strain (Hungary, 2016):
KC DORA

type : monoescius, season 120 days,
seed crop : good, weight of 1000pcs seeds : ~18g,
stem/stake : exceptional, fiber quality: fine

usage: fiber, energy crop, seed crop

13442453_1210860808937984_132011415621786528_o.jpg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I found this wild hemp field in 1975, in northwest Missouri...It was at least 80 acres...

I dried and smoked some, (who wouldn't have tried that in 1975?) but didn't get any kind of buzz at all...
Similar to if I smoked dried leaves I found in the woods...

Illinois & northern Kentucky are eat up with hemp, as is Indiana the last i heard. several states have proposed eradicating it but were sued by their own Fish & Game departments because so many bird species eat the seeds, and other critters use it for cover. around Rantoul Ill. the damn stuff grows in the gravel between train tracks. gets up so tall, along comes a train & SNIP! lots of pheasants there, or used to be. nothing but a headache after burning a log of it...dammit. it LOOKED pretty though...:biggrin: