What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to best decarb cannabis oil / rso / black oil for cancer patient

dev1

Hello,

I have read a few articles and seen some videos on how to make cannabis oil / rso / black oil

I am a newbie at this and am trying to help someone whos got cancer and is having chemo at the moment.

The thick oil looks time consuming but straight forward to prepare.

But i am unsure of the activating decarbing bit. Do i need to put the plant bits in an oven at the temperature of 220 for about half hour then prepare the oil.

Or during the process of making the oil, once the alcohol has evaporated and there is a slightly runny consistency do i transfer the mixture to a cofffee plate and leave it on there till its thick and heated for about 12 hours to decarb and be activated.

This is whats confusing me as i want to make it right so its going to help the cancer victim.

Hope anyone can help and support and let me know how to do it properly.

Thanks

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Honestly either one would work. Personally, I would make the batch without activating it. Then I would decarb about half of it at the end. This will basically gives a day (THCA) and night (THC/CBN) time formula. This should allow the patient to take larger doses than if it was all activated. You can always decarb the other half later if the patient desires a more psychoactive medicine.

DemonTrich

Veteran
if you don't decarb the material, then how will it become psychoactive and useful in any way? it would be like eating raw buds and not getting any benefits from it.

im about to use 16oz of some fluffy gorilla glue4 (heat issue last run) to make some RSO for a new cancer patient of mine (stage 4 brain and lungs). ive been using skunkfarms decarb tek for 4 years now with excellent results each and every time ive made edibles. 293* 8 mins, in a sealed (tin foil) metal bowl, done. really hope I can help her, or at least make her last yr (dr gave her a yr) more enjoyable. all free of charge, time/materials, everything. this is me getting my karma on the neutral side of things.

DemonTrich

Veteran
Ok then (see above posters posting) why decarb'd half the material now, then the other half layer on? Seems like a waste of time.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Ok then (see above posters posting) why decarb'd half the material now, then the other half layer on? Seems like a waste of time.

THCA has the medical benefits without the psychoactive component. Just look at the fad of juicing leaves, that's not decarbed either.

Now if you want to get high, by all means decarb all you want. I decarb before making coconut oil and glycerin tinctures. If you are trying to hyper dose, you will be able to consume more with the THCA.

What I was suggesting was to try both, if the patient prefers the activated form, you can activate it later.

chris247

Hi guys,

Ive been looking into this extensively over the last year or so and have found 2 really very interesting sources of information.

I wanted to post this here because Im still unsure as to what the best method is, and I can see a lot of other people are starting to make oil and they too are probably unsure like myself.

The first:

"United States Patent Patent No.: US 7,344,736 B2"

- https://www.google.com/patents/US7344736

The second:

"Decarboxylation Study of Acidic Cannabinoids: A Novel Approach Using Ultra-High-Performance Supercritical Fluid Chromatography/Photodiode Array-Mass Spectrometry"

- http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/pdfplus/10.1089/can.2016.0020

They both go seriously in depth into the decarboxylation of acidic cannabinoids and both use different methods and extractions. One thing that correlates though is the findings.

Also, the information provided in both these differs from this graph that shows decarb times and temps

- http://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/1423/medium/decarb_graph_zps33f82670.jpg

I think the best thing to do would be to decarb the oil in different ways for different lengths of time and send samples of the oil of to a lab for analysis. If you don't live in a country where this is possible it doesnt matter because you can send a sample off to Energy Control International.

Energy Control International

- https://energycontrol-international.org/drug-testing-service/submitting-a-sample/

Hope this helps!

BudToaster

Veteran
here is my technique -

i am decarbing first, before the ethanol quick wash of 4 minutes, because i have a device for doing that precisely (NOVA) - they tested the results and 90 minutes decarb (don't know the temperature curve) converts almost 100% THCa to THC ... i think it works well and has zero smell during operation.

6 grams of herb with 4 oz of Everclear yields about .6g of extract.

Farm Hero

I do it just like rick, even still use naptha as the oil comes out much cleaner than using alcohol. I've gotten good at evaporating the last of the solvent off with a few drops of RO water. When the oil quits bubbling in a tilted, mini crock pot it is decarbed.

Load the oil into syringes while still warm.

Latest posts

Latest posts