What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ethics of shaping guerilla patches

Easy7

Veteran
Thought an ethics thread could have some purpose here. Mainly the ethics of shaping a guerilla patch to be more suitable to the needs of cover and cropping our favorite herb.

I wouldn't kill old tree's but there are a few medium trees that block light in the most inaccessible part of the patch. Also when it comes to planting and/or changing the local native brush that provides concealment and cover for the cash crop?

Where are the lines?

Obviously some people take it too far and have no limits. I just have little easy access to patches suitable for both concealment and performance. It takes a little time and effort to have something workable.

Love Lightning

NO poison. organic amendments only. I would have no trouble cutting down a medium sized tree, trees grow back fast anyways. And compared to the foresters or even hunters who go in and ride with their big trucks and make the roads muddy and feed the deer (who dont have any natural enemies except humans) grain they shouldn't be eating... its nothing.

As for invasive species. Just stay away from the most aggresive ones. Nettles and comfrey are my fav dynamic acumulators and they also hide plants pretty well.

Don't fuck with anywhere I aint supposed to be these days so felling a tree or 2 or a dozen aint nothing when I can clear fields if I want.
If you're on "public land" there's not much you can do outside of bringing in heavy equipment n shit that can't n won't be over grown in a few years, but that said, I'd tend to just look for the terrain I need n change little as possible so it's a little lazy n a little environmentally conscious. lol

cheers,...................................................gps

Easy7

Veteran
Thinking poison here. One hit with a hatchet and a few squirts of poison. It's what's left of a tree. It survived a larger tree coming down on it. It's too big to cut down covertly. Nobody will really notice it dying from poison. It's it's foliage and one other tree that I don't have a vivid memory of.

The spot has some years before it's all nice and secure. I live in the city and it's about impossible to sneak to spots. Roads are a major weakness to travel.

Wait it out if I have to. Just usually messing around with ideas at the least.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I try and look for obscure sites that little needs to be disturbed other than digging and augmenting holes. The less disruption the better, even from a security standpoint.

I had a small site I grew at for a few years, was perfect regarding sun exposure from dawn to dusk. A lot of times I’ll work at night for security reasons and didn’t realize a couple of trees had grown and their canopy was blocking the sun for a good part of the day. Still got a crop but not what it should have been.

I like to spread things around and it just seems the less conspicuous the better.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I live in a forest, and it's mine, so I do my own forest management. Any trees I harvest I burn in my wood stove to heat the house in winter.

Here's what I do. I look for a spot where there is only one or two trees blocking the sun. When I find it, I hammer a single copper nail in the foot of the tree. Next year, it's dead and I cut it down for firewood. That location now becomes a grow spot surrounded by tall trees.

But next year, I'll experiment with planting some weed in an open area in the shape of a peace sign. lol

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I've had great luck hiding my weed by planting it to blend in or do late starts or topping in a way so the plants stay below the natural plant cover like these cookies.

patches that you can spot from the air seem much less safe to me in the days of cheap drones and google earth.

picture.php

this is some ECSD next to a stream that blends in well even with a dozen bamboo stakes.
smaller plant in foreground.
picture.php

this clump of small trees and bushes gave me a great spot to conceal a big plant.
picture.php

individuals like this blend in well along the edges of fields and they do fine with partial sunlight too IME.
picture.php

last year I planted this suspected male at the edge of the road on the other side of the ditch maybe 20 -30 feet from the road
and thousands of people drove by and walked past this plant without noticing it and it was waiting for me in October frozen pretty hard but still dank.
picture.php

Easy7

Veteran
There are more spots in these area's but getting to and from them feeling unseen is the risk. Well, being unseen. People are hateful in this neck of the woods. They all want to be God's wrath or some crap like that.

That second pic took a minute to find the ganja.

So how does copper kill a tree? The nails are sorta pricey but it's better than spray and can be removed.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
copper nail slowly chemically deteriorates to copper sulfide/sulphate ??? (something, lol) which is a pretty potent poison. just a nail or two & a little patience will kill a big tree.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I've had great luck hiding my weed by planting it to blend in or do late starts or topping in a way so the plants stay below the natural plant cover like these cookies.

patches that you can spot from the air seem much less safe to me in the days of cheap drones and google earth.

I love how your plants blend into the goldenrod. Nice.

We have this long long grass that grows in the ditches. I keep saying it would be great cover. This year I'll do a few test patches.

Easy7

Veteran
That is why I like autumn olive. It can grow 20ft high, covers low to the ground and gets thick. So it can be easy to tunnel in and clear out a section for a monster. Trouble is with getting the autumn olive to grow big fast. I have grown in it before that which was already there from an oil drilling operation 15 - 20 years prior. You can walk right past and would probably never think to go looking for ganja in it.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
That is why I like autumn olive. It can grow 20ft high, covers low to the ground and gets thick. So it can be easy to tunnel in and clear out a section for a monster. Trouble is with getting the autumn olive to grow big fast. I have grown in it before that which was already there from an oil drilling operation 15 - 20 years prior. You can walk right past and would probably never think to go looking for ganja in it.

a few years ago scoping google earth near me I found a small patch of trees and invasives that had a small clearing in the middle so I cut a small tunnel into it and made some seeds outdoors, had to carry water to it every week or so but it worked great and you couldn't see or smell it from a small trail that went past.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

this is the time of year that is best for planning out your swamp spot when there are solidly froze.

I look for patches of bushes that are 6-12" above the frozen water level that can hide a couple of plants and try to figure out multiple routes to them away from any trails.

last year was the 1st time I set plants out and didn't re visit until harvest time and more than 50% survived and thrived from June until oct with zero help. only set 12 could have been 1200 if I was young and healthy.

I look for public land a couple years after it has been logged off.
you can usually drive quite a ways off road on their trails to drop off plants and equip.

easy to harvest the best topsoil at the edges of the paths and roads they use while skidding and there are always areas where they leave piles of roots or trashy logs that can conceal smaller plants well.

I like to use their trails to get way out away from the roads and near a swamp then plant the backside of that swamp where no one is likely to walk without waders on.

carry loppers and I don't usually need to cut anything bigger than a sapling to use for stakes, training and scrogging.
often can find dead sticks that work unted the big trees where I harvest some of their myco infused topsoil

one big dead tree surrounded by some shrubby growth can conceal several large plants.

here I used dead branches and fresh willow saplings cut from nearby and fastened with twine so it would be somewhat camo.
it was tied into the dead trees branches.

planting into lightened amended swamp ground just above the waterline can produce monster plants and it's way better than growing in bags.

picture.php

Boom!
picture.php

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Nice.

Google earth Timeview is an incredibly powerful tool to find potential grow spots. You still have to do a walkabout though. But if you can get a November view, long grass is still green so it's easy to find open areas in the middle of some bush.

I found a neighbour's (dairy farmer) grow with it. When I told him about it, he just shrugged and said "They're not going to put a 70 year old in jail for it. Makes me sleep like I was 18." lol

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Are those cages in the background? lol

I plan on using my 60v trimmer and have an extra battery. I don't want anyone to hear me. lol

I don't do a huge area either. That would get nicked from the air for sure. Everyone owns a fucking drone today. 5-10 smaller plots only.