What's new

Way to have t5s turn on if lights cut out

Hey guys. Ive thought of a couple ways i could do it but id like to see what you guys had to say. I want to have t5s turn on if my lights cut out. I have the auto pilot timer that will cut my lights if room gets to hot. I know a bit about electrical as i have done all my sub panels n wiring my self. I could maybe use a relay. Maybe. Or get a timer that only activates wen its on and lights go off. Or something like that. Hopefully i can get a couple ideas flowing. Thanks in advance guys 👌

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
from my limited knowledge mostly from cars there is relays that could work ..some work when powered on others open when power goes off...just a thought...yeehaw..I absolutely suck at electrical..i am sure someone that wont give you bad advise an electrocute yourself or burn down your pad will chime in...

Easy7

Veteran
There are timers for outside Christmas lights that have a light detector. These turn on lights after dark for so many hours or until daylight. I'm not sure what load they can handle.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
You could use a relay powered by the auto pilot, then have that hooked up to a digital timer. That way any time the auto pilot turns off the relay will close and the timer controls if the T5 comes on or not.

Hell ya glad i asked these questions. Ill look into all those options. I knew i could use a Solid state relay. But also new there would prolly be a way to do it with just a cpl diff timers. Thanks a bunch guys

St. Phatty

One way to deal with it is to use digital timers, and set them so that they run 2 6 hour cycles. Maybe separated by 15 minutes.

I'm thinking, so you have a work-around in case you're not there, and the power goes out.

Instead of the ballast going "UUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" or whatever sound they make - for 12 hours, they get back to where they ought to be, after 6 hours.

Anyway, I got 3 manual Intermatic timers going now. I prefer them because they're easier to set, BUT they don't work well when the power goes out.

So I'm basically chained to the grow, until I fix the timers.

Power goes out about once a week where I live - sometimes just enough to 'power cycle' everything - but enough to screw with the HID lights.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i used to use a cap 15 mn delay timer when i was ata spot and the lights blew alot when i was at work, if the power surges or fails it shuts off the light and will try to restart in 15 minutes, saved my ass.

Walt Jabsco

Photocell switch 4$amazon and appliance timer. Timer set to on off of main lights so photocell doesn't turn on t5 when it's supposed to be dark.

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
A photocell would work. But why not put an extraction fan with a temp control in there? So it kicks in and the lights stay on. Yer plants would be happier with the extra air.

BC

Thanks for all the posts guys. I run a sealed room but am also thinkin of incorporating a extraction fan on a thermostat to kick on if it gets to hot so the lights dont shut off. And then worse case if they do shut off the t5s will still be on. So i think with all these responses ill be able to rig something up. I have tons of timers and cycle timers. But ill prolly get just a photocell timer to only come on. When it is powered and lights r out. So bascally i can plug it into one of the light outlets on my autopilot. But have it on a photocell so itll only turn on if it senses there r no lights. And it wont go on during night... Cause that light 1 outlet will be off. If that makes sense haha. hells ya thanks guys

Latest posts

Latest posts