What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

4th grow in Promix - I still suck - Help

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Pro Mix alone is not the greatest for da Herb, I have found. Going at least 50% COCO, and following the instructions on a coco line of nutes will make things easier for you. Then after you get some good ones you are happy with under your belt, you can decide how you want to go with it. Cheers. My 2c

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Bwana, nice posts man. Idk why but had me laughing some for real. I knew there was something missing around here how ya been? On the spot spot on advice like a boss.

OP. Listen to this man you lucked out and found a promix expert.

Jonnysact

cut em down scrap everything and start over. get some coco get rid of the promix fuck soil all together. soil can be very challenging for noobs and for people trying to help, because god only knows whats really in your soil. we all know what is in coco or any other soiless mix. i think your going about this all the wrong way. seriously chop everything down. sit back, get your bearings and study your ass off and really try to come up with a better plan before attempting this again. if you cant do that, you will never have a good harvest. i recommend coco with a well known complete nutrient for forum support for starters.

You don't think these plants will have the chance to bounce back and grow again? I'm seeing improvements every day. I'm sure your advice is sound, however I find it very discouraging to simply give up on a medium because it's gotten the best of me, so far. I would love to learn about my medium and find ways of getting things to work. Call me stubborn, but I don't like giving up.

MrBungle

I wouldnt give up on em Jonny.. I'd stay the course, its a learning experience anyways.. I would do exactly what you are doing and start a couple new ones.. Try out what you've learned and see wtf... the ones that are giving you problems will eventually snap out of it with proper care.. but it takes time..

and like others have said you have to pick your grow style... It might be exactly like a grower you see on here that has decent plants, and a good sense of humour... or is a harsh critic, but has the best lookin buds around... or it might be a mish mosh of different methodologies you come across...
In my personal experience I've learned more from bouncing around in journals than I've ever learned from asking questions on forums... only because its like the ali babba syndrome: where you wish for a million bucks, and you receive a million male deer. :wallbash: :)

Jonnysact

Thanks Bungle.

it is definitely discouraging, but my first grow has been my best so far. Each grow there after has been progressively worse. Trying to put my finger on what's changed. Wish i had kept a journal.

But I did start a new one. Here she is!

LQMVhKZ.jpg

Hmmm, the image isn't loading for me.

http://i.imgur.com/BgMN8FV.jpg?1

Anyway, the plan is to let the medium completely dry out and let those roots stretch. Once completely dry shall I water until runoff or just water a bit to get the medium wet? My gut tells me that I should only be watering for runoff once the root system has developed.

Last edited:

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Keep it simple, eliminate variables, don't over think things. Don't get discouraged. It sounds like you have the right attitude to succeed this time.

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
You don't think these plants will have the chance to bounce back and grow again? I'm seeing improvements every day. I'm sure your advice is sound, however I find it very discouraging to simply give up on a medium because it's gotten the best of me, so far. I would love to learn about my medium and find ways of getting things to work. Call me stubborn, but I don't like giving up.

good for you ;)
think of the 10's if not 100's of thousands of people..... maybe milions? who have over the decades grown simply stellar weed in soiless mixes like promix or sunshine ect...... I get the coco thing but will stick with what I know.
like the many other proven mediums to grow plants in, there ain't nothing wrong with using it.
Just think Jonnysact, right now you are getting some good experience in learning how to care for very sick plants. Hopefully it's a hurdle you get past without starting fresh, but if yer paying attention, wat yer learning right now is invaluable as a new grower.

if everything always went like clockwork and you never learned how to deal with problems when they arise, when they do it, it's usually a loss of a crop while you frantically try and learn what to do.

keep us posted on this sick plant saga and good luck ;)

Jonnysact

Thank you Tom. I think the most difficult thing for many is being patient with newbies, which i can fully understand and appreciate, especially when people repeat themselves time and time again with each new joining member. I have done my due diligence of reading through posts and starting some of my own. I'm just glad there are some willing to help me through these growing pains.

Now I managed to flush one of my transplanted pots until I got a good runoff PH and PPM but will have to do the other two on their next watering, which does include a feeding.

given the problems i see here, unless the problem is corrected the right way like now, it would not be worth waitting around for these to recover. i admire you for wanting to tough it out, but it is a gamble because they may never recover and they will most likely take several weeks to get fixed even if everything goes perfectly from here on out which is unlikely and they could likely die in the end anyways and then all the time which could have been put into a new crop would have been wasted.

i guess if your not willing to change anything, how can you expect different results?why even ask for help? you will probably end up with the same results anyways. please dont take offense to my seemingly offensive statement here. i mean well and i want you to be successful. try not to look at starting over as giving up. starting over is simply turning a new leaf. this hobby is all about cutting down plants. every single one gets cut down eventually.

Last edited:

Jonnysact

Hi darth. I take no offense. However you are incorrect when you say that I am not willing to change anything. I am doing precisely the opposite; working on the issues and taking advice from those offering it. I see great benefits in trying to nurse a sick plant back to health with good growing technique. But let us not harp on that.

I have a brand new plant ready to go and I will continue to work on improving the conditions of the sick plants. New growth has begun and it's looking good. Now it's about learning how to get a handle on it.

Thank you again.

Bwanabud

Work on fixing the sick girls, stay on a solid regiment with the new plants & learn how to fix sick plants for free....why not ? :) It's better to learn now, then have a room full of them, and not be sure what to do.

It's all a learning curve: From sick plants, strains, environmental control, bugs, deficiencies, different nutrient brands, etc..we all have to start somewhere on the journey, no better time than now. Be patient and continue with your regiment, it will all work out fine.

Jonnysact

Thanks Bwana, I think so. I'll continue to work on them, post updates, see what the community suggests and take it one step at a time.

Luckily, I've never had to deal with bugs :)

Hi darth. I take no offense. However you are incorrect when you say that I am not willing to change anything. I am doing precisely the opposite; working on the issues and taking advice from those offering it. I see great benefits in trying to nurse a sick plant back to health with good growing technique. But let us not harp on that.

I have a brand new plant ready to go and I will continue to work on improving the conditions of the sick plants. New growth has begun and it's looking good. Now it's about learning how to get a handle on it.

Thank you again.

its a tough way to learn, but hey, if it works for you, then keep at it. youll figure it out one way our another. i hope these sick plants make a full speedy recovery soon and yeild nicely for you. it is pretty hard to kill a cannabis plant as you can see.

Bwanabud

Thanks Bwana, I think so. I'll continue to work on them, post updates, see what the community suggests and take it one step at a time.

Luckily, I've never had to deal with bugs :)

Knock on wood, and cross your fingers and toes...bugs are like hang-overs, sooner or later everyone gets them :biggrin: Be very careful ever getting clones from a buddy or dispensary, make sure all media and amenities are sterile forms, and don't let your dog run in the yard then come help you in the grow room :tiphat:

Mites & thrips are the worst here, mites are a bastard to get rid of for good. Grow rooms are the perfect environment for bugs, perfect conditions and no predators(Lady bugs, Mantis, etc..)

Green Mojo Jonny

Granger2

Veteran
I wouldn't give up. There's much to be learned from getting those plants healthy. Learn from this crop.

Milorganite is processed sewage sludge from Milwalkee. It has had a Cadmium warning label on it since the '70s. It's full of all kinds of other things that are just below the threshold that would require labeling. Sewage sludges are loaded with pharmaceuticals and cosmetics. In addition it is high N and iron, low everything else. About the worst thing I can think of to use.

Also, chem ferts are not good for your microherd, but they don't wipe out the herd like pouring bleach water on your plants. You can use chems and still have a pretty good herd if you nurture it and re-inoculate often. Good luck. -granger

Jonnysact

Checked on them this morning. Things are definitely looking better!

The new growth+ stem is actually green. Green stem! Now to keep it that way!

XpVefQT.jpg

And the tops of 2 of the ladies:

G1MrgAp.jpg

UMoTQ1l.jpg

And a flashback to my last flowering when I had something good going on (just as motivation)

4FkJaUA.jpg

And I hadn't posted it in this thread, but this is my grow space.

w3iGAh2.jpg

S

sourpuss

Try up potting... seems your getting your feed on point... not sure why your ph is 7... I use 6 in promix. .. peat Swings it down anyway like you noticed in the runoff...

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Personally, when I use it as a sterile medium I adjust my PH to 5.8-6.2, when I use it transitionally I prefer to drift from 7-6. When I use it organically I do not adjust PH, but if I am using organic teas I check PH to see if they cycled.

I have never measure anything but PH when I use promix, starting and runoff.