Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Toker's Den > Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

Thread Title Search
Have you looked at the North Pole lately? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2018, 03:33 PM #1061
therevverend

therevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to behold
There's been a conspiracy about climate change since the 1950s at least. Billions, trillions, of dollars have poured into it to keep the public confused and ignorant. For the last 60 years scientists have been lying their asses off. Falsifying evidence, ignoring facts, telling the public what the corporations and government want them to hear.
The obvious analogy here is tobacco. But the oil companies and politicians are far more powerful then the tobacco companies were. Once they committed the country to a certain infrastructure they've bent the truth as far as they can to protect their profits and sell out their children.
I've never understood the people who think that the scientists are making this up. Why? The money is with the big corporations that use huge amounts of carbon. Why would a scientist in 1985 want to say something oil companies don't want to hear? It's a great way to lose your job. If you could prove climate change is an illusion you'd be very rich.
Now that it's obvious, for anyone over 20 years old you know how much the weather has changed within your lifetime. The only people who are denying it now are doing it for political reasons. Which is callous, selling out everyone's future to be lockstep with the oil companies and the corrupt ignorant politicians that do their bidding.
Being skeptical is a good thing, I'm always on the side of questioning the experts and looking for the holes in their logic. I hate siding with the status quo.
After a certain point with this issue it becomes stubbornness and pride which lose their charm as we get older. No one likes a crank.
therevverend is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Click to visit Venus Vapes
Old 06-09-2018, 03:36 PM #1062
armedoldhippy

armedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivor
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by therevverend View Post
There's been a conspiracy about climate change since the 1950s at least. Billions, trillions, of dollars have poured into it to keep the public confused and ignorant. For the last 60 years scientists have been lying their asses off. Falsifying evidence, ignoring facts, telling the public what the corporations and government want them to hear.
The obvious analogy here is tobacco. But the oil companies and politicians are far more powerful then the tobacco companies were. Once they committed the country to a certain infrastructure they've bent the truth as far as they can to protect their profits and sell out their children.
I've never understood the people who think that the scientists are making this up. Why? The money is with the big corporations that use huge amounts of carbon. Why would a scientist in 1985 want to say something oil companies don't want to hear? It's a great way to lose your job. If you could prove climate change is an illusion you'd be very rich.
Now that it's obvious, for anyone over 20 years old you know how much the weather has changed within your lifetime. The only people who are denying it now are doing it for political reasons. Which is callous, selling out everyone's future to be lockstep with the oil companies and the corrupt ignorant politicians that do their bidding.
Being skeptical is a good thing, I'm always on the side of questioning the experts and looking for the holes in their logic. I hate siding with the status quo.
After a certain point with this issue it becomes stubbornness and pride which lose their charm as we get older. No one likes a crank.
i am out of rep, but thank you for this!

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:45 PM #1063
Phaeton
Speed of Dark

Phaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud of
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by igrowone View Post
pulling co2 out of the air, i'll grant you it is a plan of a sort
the simplest and possibly cheapest way to go is the reverse coal mine
low tech all the way
trees are partially burnt to form charcoal
and you put the charcoal in some place where is will stay sequestered
empty coal mines sites are convenient
then it should occur to you, the next logical step is fuck that shit
just stop burning coal
Another factoid I find interesting, but with a sample size of a single incident not all will find it relevant.

Past burning of coal and its effects on the planets lifeforms. All should know we have had five 'Great Extinctions', some argue we are in the midpoint of the sixth.
One of those extinctions was caused directly by burning coal.
In Siberia were coal reserves similar to the Appalachian coal area of the USA.
The Deccan Traps, not a regular volcano but more like Yellowstone, a huge fissured area hundreds of miles across reaching into the mantle. The coal caught fire and thousands of square miles of coal seams burned.
The CO2 and caustic rains destroyed land life while hydrogen sulfide invaded the ocean and killed marine life also. This was 'The Big One', overshadowing the other four extinctions.

At this time in history mankind is set to finish burning an equivalent amount of coal. All large mammals are already endangered, information on sea life indicates the same dangers.
It has happened before, it is happening again.
The difference this time?
We get to watch and wring our hands. Man, being the apex life form, will be both the largest mammal and then the last mammal on Earth.

History, don't you love it?
Phaeton is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:03 PM #1064
Rubber Chicken

Rubber Chicken has a brilliant futureRubber Chicken has a brilliant futureRubber Chicken has a brilliant futureRubber Chicken has a brilliant futureRubber Chicken has a brilliant futureRubber Chicken has a brilliant futureRubber Chicken has a brilliant futureRubber Chicken has a brilliant futureRubber Chicken has a brilliant futureRubber Chicken has a brilliant futureRubber Chicken has a brilliant future
Quote:
I understand skepticism very much, we must always have some skepticism about things but.... are you saying that oil companies etc. and their many scientists are the ones claiming that climate change is a hoax?
Because if you are, i agree with that.

The conspiracy theory is that there isn't warming caused by humans, not that there is (which it seems like you are saying?)

I'm a little too high at the moment.... i keep forgetting what i'm reading and forgetting what i'm typing.

I am really a lightweight.
Rubber Chicken is offline Quote

Old 06-09-2018, 10:56 PM #1065
Ununionized

Ununionized has disabled reputation
Oil companies are the ones FINANCING all the faked pseudo-science, so they can transfer the cost of their finding NEW ENERGY to YOU:

the ignorant dupe who starts bobbing your head that "Yes it must be true" that a COLD NITROGEN BATH is a MAGIC HEATER

if the party of the Klan said it's true.

The party that made pot illegal.

The party that started the Civil war to enslave people,

The party that murdered President Lincoln.

It's obvious your handlers have you in so much darkness they call you mushroom.

OIL COMPANIES FINANCED a lot of this FAKE PSEUDO-SCIENCE

claiming a COLD nitrogen bath is a heater.

Quote:
Ununionized is offline Quote

Old 06-09-2018, 11:01 PM #1066
Ununionized

Hand waving and fantasizing. There's no "great extinction" going on mankind MULTIPLIES the numbers of animals that live around him.

More fantasies by people who can't name the law of thermodynamics for solving the temperatures of gases and the atmosphere but they're SURE the WHOLE WORLD is missing the fact that
a COLD NITROGEN BATH is now a MAGICAL HEATER.

You DO realize the same people who made POT ILLEGAL

are the ones who told you a cold nitrogen bath is a magic heater.

Right? YOU realize the SAME PEOPLE who MADE POT ILLEGAL so they could ENSLAVE ROB and RUIN American Blacks, and Hispanic immigrants,

PUT you up to spreading the LUNACY that a COLD NITROGEN bath is a MAGIC HEATER.

Some of you should really put on your adult hat and ask yourself to FIND just ONE cold nitrogen bath in ALLLLLLL thermodynamics

THAT'S ACTUALLY a HEATER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
Another factoid I find interesting, but with a sample size of a single incident not all will find it relevant.

Past burning of coal and its effects on the planets lifeforms. All should know we have had five 'Great Extinctions', some argue we are in the midpoint of the sixth.
One of those extinctions was caused directly by burning coal.
In Siberia were coal reserves similar to the Appalachian coal area of the USA.
The Deccan Traps, not a regular volcano but more like Yellowstone, a huge fissured area hundreds of miles across reaching into the mantle. The coal caught fire and thousands of square miles of coal seams burned.
The CO2 and caustic rains destroyed land life while hydrogen sulfide invaded the ocean and killed marine life also. This was 'The Big One', overshadowing the other four extinctions.

At this time in history mankind is set to finish burning an equivalent amount of coal. All large mammals are already endangered, information on sea life indicates the same dangers.
It has happened before, it is happening again.
The difference this time?
We get to watch and wring our hands. Man, being the apex life form, will be both the largest mammal and then the last mammal on Earth.

History, don't you love it?

Old 06-09-2018, 11:11 PM #1067
Ununionized

The POLITICIANS and OIL COMPANIES are the PEOPLE WHO FLOATED the CLAIM that "WE'RE ALMOST OUTTA OIL, the atmosphere has turned into a giant HEATER!"

They're making you PAY them to FIND THEMSELVES a NEW MARKET SHARE

by telling you - how dumb do you have to be to believe it? That the

COLD ATMOSPHERE
is a
HEATER.

No it's not. The political party that told you "SCIENCE SEZ" that
"White people have souls, black and brown people not so much,"

The politcal party that told you "POT is DEVIL WEED" and "will make you get reefer madness"

is the same party THAT SENT you here. To tell adults that you can't count but you're SURE the COLD NITROGEN ATMOSPHERE is a MAGICAL HEATER.

We KNOW the Oil Companies are paying for it because we know who FINANCES the AMERICAN ENVIRONMENTAL MOVEMENT: the major OIL companies. We know WHERE THEIR GRANTS GO. They go to Magic Gassers squealing the world is ending and we have to "ALL PITCH IN and FINANCE the OIL COMPANIES some NEW MARKET SHARE somewhere."

Do'H! You didn't KNOW that OIL COMPANIES PAY for MUCH of the GRANTS "research" into

"the cold nitrogen bath being a magical heater"

did you?

Obviously not.

You don't even know you're here from the party that founded the Klan and made pot illegal do you? Well - that's who you're here to represent.

The party that founded the Klan - under the guise of "science"

The party that MADE POT ILLEGAL: under the guise of "science."

Now, they have grown adults screaming you think a COLD NITROGEN BATH is a MAGICAL HEATER.

It's really shameful to consider adult human beings don't know they're lobbying for the party that founded the Klan and MADE POT ILLEGAL.

Maybe if YOU knew where YOUR leadership comes from you'd understand why people laugh right in the face of weather scams.

Quote:

Old 06-09-2018, 11:19 PM #1068
Ununionized

Somebody went and checked on your "apocalyptic warming" story and guess what!

Alaska was getting COLDER and COLDER all through the 20th Century.

Furthermore it hasn't gotten any warmer SINCE then except in a FEW ISOLATED AREAS.

So much for "grandpa's got a nose for magical gassiness."
============================== =====
THE ALASKA CLIMATE RESEARCH CENTER:

"The period 1949 to 1975 was substantially colder than the period from 1977 to 2014,

however since 1977 little additional warming has occurred in Alaska

with the exception of Barrow
and a few other locations. "

https://climate.gi.alaska.edu/ClimTre...empChange.html
==================
That's called "you just got caught lying about climate change in Alaska."

Quote:
Those pictures are worth a thousand deliberately disingenuous words.

Per the world temperature change map, I live in the light red area of Alaska, I remember back to the 1950's with fair clarity.
The 1940's were cold (per parents and grand parents), the 1950's were cold (per me), as were the the first years of the 1960's.
Late 1960's warmer winters began happening more often, cold spells became shorter.
The 1970's began an accelerated warming, cold winters were fewer with shorter duration of the high pressure ridges that cause inversions, resulting in fewer -60 and colder temperatures.
1989 saw a winter colder than the previous ten years, three weeks of -40. Nothing like the six weeks of -50 seen in the 1950's, but damn cold.

Jump to 2016. After an entire winter of above zero I removed my furnace and heated the house with the lights in the garden.
Not a problem, probably could have removed the furnace in 2013 but I worried about weather, cold winters still can happen, not as cold and not as often, but natural variability says they will happen.

The climate in Alaska has warmed and is continuing to warm faster every year.
Rumor has it this is a part of a worldwide result of climate changing the local weather patterns. I am not everywhere but that is true in Alaska.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:13 AM #1069
therevverend

therevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to behold
A simple way to tell an internet crank is by how often they use ALL CAPS. It is hard to have a rational discussion with someone who is screaming.
therevverend is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:33 AM #1070
Ununionized

Hogwash.

Alaska isn't warmer today than normal.

Throughout most of the 20th century Alaska was QUITE cold:
the brutal cold reduced some in 1976.

Since then the state has warmed little,
except Barrow and a few other locations.

Thousands of
deliberately disingenuous words? You're from Alaska.

There's no way you COULDN'T have known that this is CLASSICAL Alaskan climate,

and why it exists.
______________________________ _________
The CENTER for ALASKA CLIMATE RESEARCH:

"The period 1949 to 1975 was substantially colder than the period from 1977 to 2014,

however since 1977 little additional warming has occurred in Alaska with the exception of Barrow and a few other locations."
============================== =====

https://climate.gi.alaska.edu/ClimTr...empChange.html
______________________________ _______________

You know what the Climate Research Center says about Alaska, or should.

The discovery and verification back for hundreds of years,
of the P.D.O.

the Pacific Decadal Oscillation -

is one of the most famous Earth sciences discoveries verified through multiple scientific disciplines, in the late 20th century.
============================== =
..."The stepwise shift appearing in the temperature data in 1976

corresponds to a phase shift of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation

from a negative phase to a positive phase.

Synoptic conditions with the positive phase
tend to consist of increased southerly flow
and warm air advection into Alaska during the winter,

resulting in positive temperature anomalies."
============================

Oh, that's right, Alaska is bathed in persistently warm winds, creating temperatures WARMER than the mean for the region.

=============================

Parts of North America come out of the normal deep freeze conditions for decades;

clocking back through time using multiple disciplines,
researchers have discovered that sometimes, entire generations have grown up and been approaching middle age,

having never seen colder-weather conditions which would predominate if not for the flow of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifi...emperature.png

The Pacific Decadal Oscillation was discovered by a man doing research for the Salmon industry.

It's tracks are seen all over the world through classically processed physics

like precipitation and temperature regimes in micro-climates globally,

and through the ebb and flow of life in accordance with it's environmental influence.

Quote:
Those pictures are worth a thousand deliberately disingenuous words.

Per the world temperature change map, I live in the light red area of Alaska, I remember back to the 1950's with fair clarity.
The 1940's were cold (per parents and grand parents), the 1950's were cold (per me), as were the the first years of the 1960's.
Late 1960's warmer winters began happening more often, cold spells became shorter.
The 1970's began an accelerated warming, cold winters were fewer with shorter duration of the high pressure ridges that cause inversions, resulting in fewer -60 and colder temperatures.
1989 saw a winter colder than the previous ten years, three weeks of -40. Nothing like the six weeks of -50 seen in the 1950's, but damn cold.

Jump to 2016. After an entire winter of above zero I removed my furnace and heated the house with the lights in the garden.
Not a problem, probably could have removed the furnace in 2013 but I worried about weather, cold winters still can happen, not as cold and not as often, but natural variability says they will happen.

The climate in Alaska has warmed and is continuing to warm faster every year.
Rumor has it this is a part of a worldwide result of climate changing the local weather patterns. I am not everywhere but that is true in Alaska.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifi...cipitation.png

The Pacific Decadal Oscillation influences micro-climates across what's pretty much the ENTIRE North American continent.
And an entire global regime of micro-climates
operating in lock step.

Furnaces aren't going to go out of style forever.

The Oscillation is named that, because it's only part of the time.

You've lived during a period where there have been repeated PDO influences on Alaska and North America in general.

Obviously it's going to continue to preserve Alaska's climate for a very very long time to come; but if it weren't for the P.D.O. it would be a whole other story.

https://research.jisao.washington.ed...ot_jan2017.png

1 members found this post helpful.