Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Toker's Den > Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

Thread Title Search
Have you looked at the North Pole lately? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2018, 04:22 AM #1001
Phaeton
Speed of Dark

Phaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud of
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Chicken View Post
Coincidences do indeed happen all the time, but it is also true that the more you look for coincidences the more you will find....

Do you really think the whole scientific community doesn't already know that??

Scientists profession is to DISPROVE things, an that is where they find PROOF of things, not the other way around.
I put up the cost of college until enough scholarships rolled in she got the rest of the degree without me. She is the third generation to get a degree there.
I am thinking I need to work on my delivery, I went for math rather than geology and the humor does not seem to come through as well. I assume knowledge equal to my specialty but it turns out most degrees do not require much in the way of math or physics.
The reverse holds true as well, I suck at humanities.

Firm believer in global warming, those dinosaur fossils were laid down when Alaska was three hundred miles closer to the north pole with a climate very similar to the northwest coast around Seattle.
It took a great many thousands of years for the change over.

And poor me ended up with this outlandish notion it would take just as long to change back unless acted upon by an outside source. A rule some smart guy figured out long ago.
He also said planetary orbits are not circles, so we know he was actually a silly man.
Phaeton is offline Quote

Click to visit Venus Vapes
Old 05-03-2018, 08:00 PM #1002
trichrider
THEORETICAL

trichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond repute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksMYjzWSlI4

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

Dr. Tim Ball discusses the fraud of global warming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcdPM5FY8Ug

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

trichrider is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:09 PM #1003
Hermen_eutics
Banned

Hermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by trichrider View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksMYjzWSlI4

I AGREE

Dr. Tim Ball discusses the fraud of global warming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcdPM5FY8Ug

I AGREE

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	global_warming__giacomo_cardelli.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	454165
Hermen_eutics is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:52 AM #1004
igrowone

igrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant future
this is a little dramatic

and these days, that's saying something
just another chart about the northern places, and some will not worry at all
in short, the multi year ice up at the ice cap has gone AWOL, been happening for a while
but now, Jesus it has really gone down in the last few years
what will the north pole look like after a few years of no multi year ice?
it seems we are about to find out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Figure_4ad-985x1024.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	454174

Old 05-04-2018, 11:03 PM #1005
trichrider
THEORETICAL

trichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermen_eutics View Post

is that you modine?

if you think that insult will alter my view then you haven't paid attention. close minded much?

ad hominem attacks just cement my resolve and reveal your ignorance.

bring some science to refute my stance. you can't.

you're as big a fraud as the alarmists....

Old 05-06-2018, 05:56 PM #1006
trichrider
THEORETICAL

Shock Study: Climate Skeptics More ‘Eco-Friendly’ than Climate Alarmists

by Thomas D. Williams, Ph.D.6 May 2018

Americans who are skeptical about climate change engage in personal behavior that is more friendly to the environment than climate alarmists, who support increased government regulation, a new study has found.

Michael Hall, a psychologist from the University of Michigan, led a team of researchers in a yearlong longitudinal study of 600 Americans who “regularly reported their climate change beliefs, pro-environmental behavior, and other climate-change related measures” and published the results of their study in The Journal of Environmental Psychology.

The researchers grouped their subjects into three categories based on their attitude toward climate change: the “skeptical,” the “cautiously worried,” and the “highly concerned” and correlated their beliefs with their personal lifestyle choices.

The results of the study contradicted the intuitive assumption that people most concerned about climate change would be the most likely to engage in eco-friendly behavior, revealing instead that the contrary is true. There is an inverse correlation between climate-change concern and environmentally beneficial action.

While very supportive of government action on climate, the group of “highly concerned” were the least likely to behave in environmentally friendly ways on a personal level, the study revealed.

The self-described “skeptics,” on the other hand, while the most opposed to government climate policies, were also the “most likely to report engaging in individual-level pro-environmental behaviors,” the study found.

The environmental lifestyle choices examined by Hall and his team included recycling, using public transportation, buying “green” products, and using reusable shopping bags.

Roughly once every eight weeks during the course of a year, participants in the study were asked about their climate change beliefs as well as their degree of support for policies such as gasoline taxes and fuel economy standards. They were also queried regarding their personal conduct.

As a result of the study, researchers concluded that “belief in climate change does not appear to be a necessary or sufficient condition for pro-environmental behavior.”

While the empirical study by Hall and his team did not offer an explanation for the inverse correlation between environmental belief and action, at least two possible theories present themselves.

First, there is a tendency among those who believe they are on the “right side” of an issue at the macro (governmental, social) level to be negligent in the same area at the micro or personal level, an instance of a phenomenon known in psychology as “moral licensing” or “self-licensing.”

By supporting government action in a given area, people may feel morally legitimatized to cut corners at the personal level, and the area of environmental stewardship is no exception.

As Stefan Hartmann of the University of Passau describes in his paper titled “Moral Licensing in the context of Environmental Behaviour,” such an apparent disconnect between belief and action is not uncommon. Supporting government intervention often leads a person to believe he has done his or her share for the environment, leading to “self-licensing” to act in contrary ways at the personal level, as other reports have noted.

Such “moral licensing” may help explain the apparent disconnect between belief and action of the world’s most famous climate alarmist, Al Gore. His 20-room, 10,070-square-foot, Colonial-style mansion reportedly consumes 21.3 times more kilowatt hours than the average U.S. household — including 66,159 kWh per year just to heat his swimming pool.

A second explanation may be found in the distinctive moral universes of conservatives and liberals. While good and bad are bipartisan and neither side can claim definitive moral high ground, there are statistically based moral tendencies that are revealing.

As reported by the New York Times in 2008, liberals favor generous government spending to help the neediest people at home and abroad, but give comparatively little in personal contributions to charitable causes. Personal virtue can be viewed as less important than government programs, which helps explain why liberals favor higher levels of taxation than conservatives, who would rather donate their money than have it taken from them.

Average annual charitable contributions from households headed by conservatives, for instance, give 30-50 percent more than liberal households, the Times article stated.

Similarly, the “generosity index” from the Catalogue for Philanthropy has found that red states are the most likely to give to nonprofits, while Northeastern states are least likely to do so, it noted.

“How America Gives,” a 2014 study published by The Chronicle of Philanthropy, used IRS data to analyze giving patterns across the country and compared levels of giving with how each state voted in the 2012 presidential election (Romney v. Obama).

The study found that the states in which people gave the highest percentage of their adjusted gross incomes were also states that voted for Romney, while states in which people gave the lowest percentage of their adjusted gross income voted for Obama. The top 17 most generous states all went for Romney.

The partisan divide in generosity is not limited to charitable donations. Conservatives also appear to be significantly more generous than liberals in non-financial ways, such as volunteering their time and giving blood, the Times article said.

Since the most ardent believers in climate change tend to be on the liberal end of the political spectrum, it would make sense that they would push government action on the environment, while doing less at the individual level.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:05 PM #1007
Hermen_eutics
Banned

Hermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by trichrider View Post
Shock Study: Climate Skeptics More ‘Eco-Friendly’ than Climate Alarmists

by Thomas D. Williams, Ph.D.6 May 2018

Americans who are skeptical about climate change engage in personal behavior that is more friendly to the environment than climate alarmists, who support increased government regulation, a new study has found.

Michael Hall, a psychologist from the University of Michigan, led a team of researchers in a yearlong longitudinal study of 600 Americans who “regularly reported their climate change beliefs, pro-environmental behavior, and other climate-change related measures” and published the results of their study in The Journal of Environmental Psychology.

The researchers grouped their subjects into three categories based on their attitude toward climate change: the “skeptical,” the “cautiously worried,” and the “highly concerned” and correlated their beliefs with their personal lifestyle choices.

The results of the study contradicted the intuitive assumption that people most concerned about climate change would be the most likely to engage in eco-friendly behavior, revealing instead that the contrary is true. There is an inverse correlation between climate-change concern and environmentally beneficial action.

While very supportive of government action on climate, the group of “highly concerned” were the least likely to behave in environmentally friendly ways on a personal level, the study revealed.

The self-described “skeptics,” on the other hand, while the most opposed to government climate policies, were also the “most likely to report engaging in individual-level pro-environmental behaviors,” the study found.

The environmental lifestyle choices examined by Hall and his team included recycling, using public transportation, buying “green” products, and using reusable shopping bags.

Roughly once every eight weeks during the course of a year, participants in the study were asked about their climate change beliefs as well as their degree of support for policies such as gasoline taxes and fuel economy standards. They were also queried regarding their personal conduct.

As a result of the study, researchers concluded that “belief in climate change does not appear to be a necessary or sufficient condition for pro-environmental behavior.”

While the empirical study by Hall and his team did not offer an explanation for the inverse correlation between environmental belief and action, at least two possible theories present themselves.

First, there is a tendency among those who believe they are on the “right side” of an issue at the macro (governmental, social) level to be negligent in the same area at the micro or personal level, an instance of a phenomenon known in psychology as “moral licensing” or “self-licensing.”

By supporting government action in a given area, people may feel morally legitimatized to cut corners at the personal level, and the area of environmental stewardship is no exception.

As Stefan Hartmann of the University of Passau describes in his paper titled “Moral Licensing in the context of Environmental Behaviour,” such an apparent disconnect between belief and action is not uncommon. Supporting government intervention often leads a person to believe he has done his or her share for the environment, leading to “self-licensing” to act in contrary ways at the personal level, as other reports have noted.

Such “moral licensing” may help explain the apparent disconnect between belief and action of the world’s most famous climate alarmist, Al Gore. His 20-room, 10,070-square-foot, Colonial-style mansion reportedly consumes 21.3 times more kilowatt hours than the average U.S. household — including 66,159 kWh per year just to heat his swimming pool.

A second explanation may be found in the distinctive moral universes of conservatives and liberals. While good and bad are bipartisan and neither side can claim definitive moral high ground, there are statistically based moral tendencies that are revealing.

As reported by the New York Times in 2008, liberals favor generous government spending to help the neediest people at home and abroad, but give comparatively little in personal contributions to charitable causes. Personal virtue can be viewed as less important than government programs, which helps explain why liberals favor higher levels of taxation than conservatives, who would rather donate their money than have it taken from them.

Average annual charitable contributions from households headed by conservatives, for instance, give 30-50 percent more than liberal households, the Times article stated.

Similarly, the “generosity index” from the Catalogue for Philanthropy has found that red states are the most likely to give to nonprofits, while Northeastern states are least likely to do so, it noted.

“How America Gives,” a 2014 study published by The Chronicle of Philanthropy, used IRS data to analyze giving patterns across the country and compared levels of giving with how each state voted in the 2012 presidential election (Romney v. Obama).

The study found that the states in which people gave the highest percentage of their adjusted gross incomes were also states that voted for Romney, while states in which people gave the lowest percentage of their adjusted gross income voted for Obama. The top 17 most generous states all went for Romney.

The partisan divide in generosity is not limited to charitable donations. Conservatives also appear to be significantly more generous than liberals in non-financial ways, such as volunteering their time and giving blood, the Times article said.

Since the most ardent believers in climate change tend to be on the liberal end of the political spectrum, it would make sense that they would push government action on the environment, while doing less at the individual level.

Climate denier, racist, bigot and gullible slave to ignorance all connected!

Who woulda thunk?

Old 05-06-2018, 08:16 PM #1008
Hermen_eutics
Banned

2#

Old 05-07-2018, 08:06 PM #1009
trichrider
THEORETICAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermen_eutics View Post
Climate denier, racist, bigot and gullible slave to ignorance all connected!

Who woulda thunk?

color between the lines!

not a climate denier. i fully agree climate changes, just not in the direction you allege so, wrong there...

racist huh? i am of the human race, so i guess you've got me there because i exercise my inclusion in that particular category to your disdain...

bigot? sure, why not? i mean you're so much more tolerant of dissension than i, so it must just be a matter of degree.

but, i am not your slave, and most certainly not gullible enough to buy into your petty persuasion that i should be guilty of the above offenses (in your feeble mind).

better try some more pejorative adjectives that better define your temperment than mine.

and while you're at it make me a sandwich...

goofball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bLbM3lndAo

I AGREE

Old 05-07-2018, 11:52 PM #1010
St. Phatty

St. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant future
When there are wildfires at the North Pole ... I'll be watching ?

I think the CO2 levels in the atmosphere, and the effect on serious urban interface wildfires, is where about 1/2 of the conversation on climate change should be focussed.

i.e. about 1/2 the money given to academics to study climate change should be given to forest workers and wildfire workers so they can manage the wildfire situation.

CO2 levels are now at 410 ppm.

Ed Rosenthal was recommending 389 ppm in grow books in the 1980's.

So the whole planet is now one HUUUGE CO2 supplementation rig. My truck collaborates with 2 cycle engines in Thailand to spew 100+ cubic miles of CO2 into the atmosphere (at STP) every year.

Plants are growing like, almost never before. Actually I was just shopping at Home Depot today for something other than a scythe to deal with the CO2-augmented long grass that is growing in my front yard.

I think the Rolling Stone article on the Pinelands in New Jersey was compelling. Urban development = developers building homes for East Coast Yuppies that want to live in the forest.

One other detail I dug up was, one of the most serious wildfires in New Jersey in the 00's was caused by live fire training at a military base, where they didn't have the smarts to stop because of wildfire red flag conditions.

Is the term clusterfuck a gift to the English language from military culture ?

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...ersey-20160420

When the Indians lived in the forest, they did controlled burns in areas they wanted to live. The controlled burns created a profusion of huckleberries and other blueberry derivatives. And then the Indians were living in a place which wasn't surrounded by combustible fuels.

Smart, yet surprisingly difficult for the 'White Man' to learn.

I think a good part of the debate about Climate Change has to be set aside so emergency planners can do realistic planning.

For example having fuel storage set up in South Florida, so that if they ever have to evacuate in the face of a Cat 5 or 6 hurricane, they won't be cluster-fucked if it happens at a time of fuel shortages.

What caused the Cat 6, is much less important than making sure you don't have 1 to 5 million people sitting stranded square in the path of a major hurricane.
St. Phatty is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.