Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Toker's Den > Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

Thread Title Search
Have you looked at the North Pole lately? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2018, 04:28 AM #1001
Phaeton
Speed of Dark

Phaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud of
Wink

As the sun burns off its hydrogen it burns a bit cooler. Four billion years ago it was hotter than now. In another four billion years the sun will run out of hydrogen fuel completely. Until that time it will steadily burn cooler and cooler.
The drawback to that is when the sun switches fuel it expands. It expands to the point where Earth's orbit will be inside the outer envelope of the sun itself.

Meanwhile the sun is very slightly variable as it burns. The eleven year cycle of sunspots are another way of saying there is an eleven year cycle of heat output variation reaching the Earth.
Right now the sun is in a period of cooling and the Earth has recorded the hottest three years in recorded history.

I merely stated happiness this happened during sunspot activity when less radiation was hitting our overheated Earth.
Phaeton is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Click to visit Venus Vapes
Old 04-28-2018, 11:53 AM #1002
Cannavore

Cannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond reputeCannavore has a reputation beyond repute
James Delingpole is a cherry picking shill.

https://climatefeedback.org/evaluati...es-delingpole/

https://youtu.be/LyMaRx7gIGY
Cannavore is online now Quote

Old 04-29-2018, 01:38 PM #1003
Ttystikk

Ttystikk is a jewel in the roughTtystikk is a jewel in the roughTtystikk is a jewel in the roughTtystikk is a jewel in the roughTtystikk is a jewel in the roughTtystikk is a jewel in the rough
Y'all should look up Paul Beckwith on YouTube. He's done a long series of 15 minute videos on North Pole climate particulars.

His latest is on methane emissions. It looks like he's spotting the signs of methane hydrates melting and releasing methane from beneath the surface of the Arctic Ocean, which, when combined with other sources such as methane blowouts on Arctic tundra and methane releases from oil and gas extraction, spells a very serious increase in greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

Methane is some 30 times as potent a greenhouse gas as carbon dioxide. It has nowhere near the persistence of CO² but methane emissions rates from natural sources seem to be in some kind of self reinforcing feedback loop.

I'm gonna say that's bad.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:12 PM #1004
Rubber Chicken

Rubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud of
I'm afraid it is going to take people actually to feel and see the effects for themselves before they scratch their heads and think 'Huh??'

I don't subscribe to the belief that we are definitely doomed YET.... but i'm sure we wont change behavior significantly enough until we need a cure, which will be much more of a problem than possible prevention.
Rubber Chicken is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:28 PM #1005
Phaeton
Speed of Dark

Phaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud of
Wink

My daughter does paleogeology and goes on summer field trips to various spots in Alaska.

The hottest spot right now is along the Colville river in the North Slope permafrost.
A major size bone bed from 65,000,000 years ago began melting out during the North Slope oil exploration. This meltout has grown extensively and finally a tunnel was dug into the face of the cutbank to record the bones before the river washed them away. Satellite photos show hundreds of these permafrost collapses across the northern half of Alaska, all of them new within my lifetime.

A coincidence the bones were buried and remained frozen for the whole 65 million years and just now melted in a single generation.
Coincidences like this are suddenly happening all over the world in all climates and affecting all species.
This has the crazies saying humans might have a hand in it as it never happened ever before.

Silly crazies and their exalted opinion of mankind. We all know statistics lie and coincidences happen. How did you meet your significant other? Coincidence? Science knew that.
Phaeton is offline Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:57 PM #1006
trichrider
THEORETICAL

trichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond repute
shadows fall from trees...they know why.

trichrider is offline Quote

Old 04-29-2018, 11:41 PM #1007
Rubber Chicken

Rubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud ofRubber Chicken has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
My daughter does paleogeology and goes on summer field trips to various spots in Alaska.

The hottest spot right now is along the Colville river in the North Slope permafrost.
A major size bone bed from 65,000,000 years ago began melting out during the North Slope oil exploration. This meltout has grown extensively and finally a tunnel was dug into the face of the cutbank to record the bones before the river washed them away. Satellite photos show hundreds of these permafrost collapses across the northern half of Alaska, all of them new within my lifetime.

A coincidence the bones were buried and remained frozen for the whole 65 million years and just now melted in a single generation.
Coincidences like this are suddenly happening all over the world in all climates and affecting all species.
This has the crazies saying humans might have a hand in it as it never happened ever before.

Silly crazies and their exalted opinion of mankind. We all know statistics lie and coincidences happen. How did you meet your significant other? Coincidence? Science knew that.
Coincidences do indeed happen all the time, but it is also true that the more you look for coincidences the more you will find....

Do you really think the whole scientific community doesn't already know that??

Scientists profession is to DISPROVE things, an that is where they find PROOF of things, not the other way around.
Rubber Chicken is offline Quote

Old 04-30-2018, 06:37 PM #1008
trichrider
THEORETICAL

trichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond repute
i threw a rock in the water and it sank to the bottom,
the waves spread out but the rock got forgotten...

more good news from a sane mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzFx_tTx0ms

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

trichrider is offline Quote

Old 04-30-2018, 11:16 PM #1009
St. Phatty

St. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant future
I look at the North Pole ALL THE TIME

on my compass.
St. Phatty is offline Quote

Old 05-01-2018, 02:47 AM #1010
igrowone

igrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant future
sensing a pause moment, time for the global temperature update
trichrider has laid down the claim that the last 2 years are a cooling trend
this is true, of course as he said 2 years ain't much
here's the mainstream perspective
2 years ago(or so) we had the record temperatures from the last el nino
it has cooled down somewhat, just finished an el nina
so nothing really exceptions, that's common for the el nino/la nina cycles

now for the world snapshot, mostly warm
but not in the north at the moment, steenking cold in parts of north america
and russia, forget about, freeze ass city in march. March

March 2018 Blended Land and Sea Surface
Temperature Anomalies in degrees Celsius

March 2018 Blended Land and Sea Surface
Temperature Percentiles

March 2018 was characterized by warmer-than-average conditions across much of the world's surface. However, temperature departures from average varied greatly across the Northern Hemisphere land. Warmer-than-average conditions were present across Alaska, northern and eastern Canada, South America, Africa, Australia and much of Asia. Record warmth was observed across parts of eastern Africa, the Middle East, and southern Asia, which corresponds with the locations that had the most notable warm temperature departures from average (+3.0°C [+5.4°F] or higher) during the month. Near- to cooler-than-average conditions were present across much of the contiguous U.S., southwestern Canada, Europe, and western and northern Russia. Across the oceans, record warmth was observed scattered across all oceans, while cooler-than-average conditions were limited to the North Atlantic Ocean, central and eastern tropical as well as southeastern Pacific Ocean, and across parts of the eastern Indian Ocean. No land or ocean areas experienced record cold temperatures during March 2018.
Overall, the combined global land and ocean temperature for March 2018 was 0.83°C (1.49°F) above the 20th century average of 12.7°C (54.9°F) and the fifth highest March temperature departure from average in the 139-year record. This value was also 0.40°C (0.72°F) cooler than the record high set in 2016 and was the smallest temperature departure from average in the last four years. The years 2015–17 are the three warmest Marches on record. March 2018 also marks the 42nd consecutive March and the 399th consecutive month with temperatures, at least nominally, above the 20th century average. March 2018 also had the highest monthly temperature departure from average since July 2017. The March global land and ocean surface temperature has increased 0.08°C (0.14°F) per decade since 1880. That rate is more than double since 1980.
The global land surface temperature for March 2018 was 1.49°C (2.68°F) above average and the seventh highest since global records began in 1880. The global oceans ranked as the fifth highest on record at 0.58°C (1.04°F) above average. Regionally, three of the six continents had a top ten warm March on record. Europe and Asia had their coldest March since 2013.
Select national information is highlighted below. Please note that different countries report anomalies with respect to different base periods. The information provided here is based directly upon these data:

2 members found this post helpful.