Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Toker's Den > Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

Thread Title Search
Have you looked at the North Pole lately? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2018, 10:56 PM #961
igrowone

igrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant future
the top link is broken
do see that the recent drought was on the 1400 year mark for severity
that's kind of a notable event
some recent precipitation has helped from what i can gather
the west and east USA are really getting weird and different
damn cold in the eastern half, and shit loads of water

Old 04-16-2018, 11:44 PM #962
coconutcurry

coconutcurry is a splendid one to beholdcoconutcurry is a splendid one to beholdcoconutcurry is a splendid one to beholdcoconutcurry is a splendid one to beholdcoconutcurry is a splendid one to beholdcoconutcurry is a splendid one to beholdcoconutcurry is a splendid one to beholdcoconutcurry is a splendid one to beholdcoconutcurry is a splendid one to beholdcoconutcurry is a splendid one to beholdcoconutcurry is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by igrowone View Post
the top link is broken
Sorry. Should work now. Link does not work with HTTPS, only with HTTP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igrowone View Post
the west and east USA are really getting weird and different
damn cold in the eastern half, and shit loads of water
I live in north-western Germany and we always had west- or east-wind. Mostly west-wind from the sea. It was never different. North- or south-winds were very rare, but now it's standard. I think it changed about ten years ago. Wind switched from west/east to north/south or north-east / south-west. North wind means its much too cold and south-wind means its much too warm. In spring for example temperatures sometimes falter between +10 °C and -10 °C, what means the trees start blossoming and then all blossoms freeze, insects die. In summer it can be as cold as in November or as hot like the Sahara.

Last edited by coconutcurry; 04-17-2018 at 12:06 AM..
coconutcurry is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:37 PM #963
armedoldhippy

armedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivor
Angry

"insects die..." well, i am for that, if we are talking chiggers, ticks, mosquitos, no-see 'ums, stinkbugs, & blackflies... i would walk all the way around the world to get a chance to kill the last tick & skeeters! dirty fucking little disease-bearing bloodsuckers....

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:57 PM #964
Phaeton
Speed of Dark

Phaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud of
Wink

Climate is changing for sure, but the ocean's rise?
In the past the ocean has varied by over 500'. This has caused major events in evolution and dispersal of land animals.

But...the ice melts only account for a few meters, not hundreds and hundreds.
The big changes are caused by the ocean basins changing size. The Atlantic ridge causing the Atlantic ocean to grow in volume. The subduction zone in the Pacific, the 'Rim of Fire' causing all those volcanoes, is reducing the volume of the Pacific.

The tectonic changes are unaffected by mankind's shenanigans and are really slow. But are the main drivers of past major ocean level changes.

All that being true, the rise of just a meter has extremely enormous consequences for industrialized coastal lands of advanced nations.
This is short term and upon us now.
Phaeton is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:50 PM #965
St. Phatty

St. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutcurry View Post
Have you looked at California lately?
Almost every day.

They're coming up on a very difficult wildfire year.

And doing Zip Zero Zilch to prepare for it.
St. Phatty is offline Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 11:52 PM #966
igrowone

igrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant futureigrowone has a brilliant future
the fun is just starting

many members have posted about the unusual weather conditions they've been seeing
wild weather in my neck of the woods, the cold variety
but the real fun is looking to be up on the greenland ice sheet
the melt has started, and that REALLY should not be happening yet
we'll see if it's a bump or something more dramatic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	greenland_daily_melt_tmb.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	452899 Click image for larger version

Name:	greenland_daily_melt_plot_tmb.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	452900

Old 04-19-2018, 02:59 AM #967
Cannavore

Cannavore is a survivorCannavore is a survivorCannavore is a survivorCannavore is a survivorCannavore is a survivorCannavore is a survivorCannavore is a survivorCannavore is a survivorCannavore is a survivorCannavore is a survivorCannavore is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoing View Post
We are told that glacier ice melt will raise ocean levels, and drown coastal cities.
fill a glass up with water, then add a bunch of ice cubes. what happens to the water level?

Quote:
We are told glaciers are at the lowest levels, and are in danger of disappearing soon.
Soon isn't the same scale as humans think of as "soon". This'll happen over the next hundred+ years or so or longer. Land ice sheets are at an overall net loss. Greenland is losing land ice faster than Antarctica is growing land ice.

Quote:
Why is the water not half way flooding coastal cities yet? (no, don't throw up an article about an island. We are talking mainlands)Or even risen a noticeable amount?
I mean, you can look this stuff up but I'm sure you'll just cry about some liberal bias as pertaining to scientific evidence.

"Researchers can say that global ocean levels have risen about 19 centimeters in the last century. And the rate of rise has sped up. The 20th-century average is about 1.7 millimeters per year; since 1993 the average rate has nearly doubled — to about 3.2 millimeters per year.Oct 21, 2013"

Cannavore is offline Quote

Old 04-21-2018, 12:08 AM #968
Hermen_eutics
Banned

Hermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoing View Post
We are told that glacier ice melt will raise ocean levels, and drown coastal cities.

We are told glaciers are at the lowest levels, and are in danger of disappearing soon.

Why is the water not half way flooding coastal cities yet? (no, don't throw up an article about an island. We are talking mainlands)Or even risen a noticeable amount?

Last edited by Hermen_eutics; 04-21-2018 at 01:34 AM..
Hermen_eutics is offline Quote

Old 04-23-2018, 08:41 PM #969
trichrider
THEORETICAL

trichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond repute
!

trichrider is offline Quote

Old 04-24-2018, 06:22 PM #970
trichrider
THEORETICAL

trichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

!

trichrider is offline Quote