What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How cold is to cold?

Athos

If the ambient temperatures are too cold there's a couple of thing you can do.

In my case night temperatures get as cold as 32F (0°C) and in the grow space I can keep it at 77F (25°C), just with 60 watts of lights.

What I do is decrease the exhaust fan so the heat inside isn't vented out too fast. Use a smaller fan and / or connect it to a variable control (I use a PC fan and have it connected to a variable voltage adapter).

How much CFM? In the design sub forum in this very site there's a formula to estimate how much (or how little) you need to maintain a certain temperature.

It's something like this: CFM needed = 3.16 * watts / Difference in F

Watts been the electrical power that dissipates inside (in my case only the lights)

Difference in F is the allowed difference in temperature that you want between the inside of the plastic tot and the outside; in this case since the difference is quite high, you'll need very little exhaust power.

Latest posts

Latest posts