What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The perfect drip irrigation pump

i bought a similar 1/10 hp transfer pump. not form harbor freight but off e-bay. its a Wayne(brand).
I don't like this pump very much. It does supply great pressure to my 8 line manifold. but the thing hums like a supercharged v8. It's too loud for my set up. I know most people don't care about noise but i hear this thing going off 6 times a day.
anyone else find this pump loud? Other than that it does a great job providing more pressure than the submersible pond pump that was more expensive and supposed to push more gallons per hour. Just thought i would drop my 2 cents in after trying this pump.

Anyone have any suggestions for a quieter replacement for this pump? I'm running a king4 pump on another line. It is very quiet...which i like but the pressure doesn't equal this little noisey transfer pump. I believe the king 4 is also rated to 1200 gph??? which seems very powerful but i'm not getting the high pressure this 1/10 transfer pump gives. Which makes me think the king 4 pump can't actually be pushing 1200gph.

mowood3479

Veteran
Just discovered Pico's irrigation system yesterday. Very simple which I like but the thing that worries me is that it doesn't appear to cater to multi strain gardens. Thinking of maybe going with Pico's but adding a ball valve for each manifold or something. Any suggestions?

Yes, They make little 1/4" ball valves. If u google 1/4" (or whatever size u wanna use) ball valve, u should get some hits. I got mine off eBay I think. Anyway I run pico style manifold dtw with a ball valve on the end of each line. Allows for some micro adjustment if a plant is drinking more or less than the others.
Occasionally I'll have one that was closed down halfway gunk up with salt but they're easy enough to clean out..

Last edited: