What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CPS TR21 users get in here!!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We evacuate using the high vacuum pump, with the recovery pump valves wide open, and the tank valves closed.

If you miss any air, or aspirate any later, you can burp it out through the tank vent valve.

I'm running a MKIII with a TR-21 and I have noticed that there is some oil (BHO) has made it into the tr-21, is this a concern? What can be done to prevent oil from making to the pump? Should I clean the BHO out of the pump and if so how? My recovery takes forever could this be the problem. I'm not using the mt69

flatslabs

You need to throttle your valves when you open them for each cycle, you are spattering oil laden butane all over inside your collection pot, or overfilling your collection pot.

It is my understanding the TR21 is also not really designed to operate without a separate heat exchanger, the hot vapor coming out of your TR21 needs to be cooled down somehow so that burden is left on your tank.

You need to throttle your valves when you open them for each cycle, you are spattering oil laden butane all over inside your collection pot, or overfilling your collection pot.

It is my understanding the TR21 is also not really designed to operate without a separate heat exchanger, the hot vapor coming out of your TR21 needs to be cooled down somehow so that burden is left on your tank.

Have been throttling my valves but he obviously not enough or maybe it's from my first run where I got a little over zealous with the dump. Do you think the oil damaged the tr21?

flatslabs

I am not familiar enough with the internals of the TR21, but if you did this to a Promax or Appion you would probably be causing leaks.

Do you keep your pump elevated above your collection pot? Don't help out the siphon effect by leaving your pump on the ground.

I am not familiar enough with the internals of the TR21, but if you did this to a Promax or Appion you would probably be causing leaks.

Do you keep your pump elevated above your collection pot? Don't help out the siphon effect by leaving your pump on the ground.

No, I have not been doing that, it's been on the ground, probably part of my problem. My next run I will elevate the pump and run the mt69. Do you think running clean liquid butane through the pump would clean it out and how long should a typical cycle take on the MKIII with 900g of materal? It's taking me almost an hour for one cycle with 10 minute soak. Taking 45 minutes to do the recovery.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm running a MKIII with a TR-21 and I have noticed that there is some oil (BHO) has made it into the tr-21, is this a concern? What can be done to prevent oil from making to the pump? Should I clean the BHO out of the pump and if so how? My recovery takes forever could this be the problem. I'm not using the mt69

Huston, we have a problem.............

The TR-21 tolerance for oil laden butane is about zero. You most likely need a rebuild.

Huston, we have a problem.............

The TR-21 tolerance for oil laden butane is about zero. You most likely need a rebuild.

I was afraid of that. What am I doing wrong? Not elevating my pump? Should I crack my dump and recover continuously or crack open than close and recover what's in the pot befor cracking the dump again? When or what pressure is it ok to fully open the dump? I wish the MKIII had a sight for the pot, would relly help with the learning curve.

flatslabs

It is the liquid and dump valves you need to be careful to throttle when opening. During final recovery I make sure to open the liquid vent valve before the column dump valve to bleed off some of the pressure though.

I always keep the recovery valve open fully for the run, but the extractor sits on the ground and my pumps are up on a folding table. I have seen oil laden butane in the recovery valve flare, but never made its way 3ft vertically up the hose.

If you keep your pumps on the ground and you start drawing liquid you are basically creating an assisted siphon. I also keep my pumps elevated in case of a leak, I rather not have the motors sitting in butane atmosphere.

It is the liquid and dump valves you need to be careful to throttle when opening. During final recovery I make sure to open the liquid vent valve before the column dump valve to bleed off some of the pressure though.

I always keep the recovery valve open fully for the run, but the extractor sits on the ground and my pumps are up on a folding table. I have seen oil laden butane in the recovery valve flare, but never made its way 3ft vertically up the hose.

If you keep your pumps on the ground and you start drawing liquid you are basically creating an assisted siphon. I also keep my pumps elevated in case of a leak, I rather not have the motors sitting in butane atmosphere.

Thanks FS for the info and tips, I'll just have to use a little more finesse when throttling my valves and get the pump off the floor. You say pumps,is it possible to run two pumps with a MKIII?

Once you get to -10 and you go to open the vent valve, I relate it to feathering a clutch. You ever sat at a red light on a hill and instead of the brake, you use the clutch and throttle to keep yourself from rolling back? It works for me, maybe not you, I don't know just my .02 and I have never once had a drop of oil on the underside of my lid.

Like finding that friction point, you have to find that point where the pressure in the collection pot starts to increase, then back it off very slightly and just feather the pressure in. Once it stabilizes, for me that's around 10-12 psi, I slowly open it all the way. Then I move over to the dump valve and do the same thing, this usually brings the pressure up to around 15 psi. You just have to get a feel for it.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What FS and EE said. The secret is in gently opening the vent valve and equalizing pressure, before opening the dump valve, and also cracking it slowly to drain before opening it wide.

The other variable is how close your puddle is to the intake. What sized column are you running and what lower end?

Once you get to -10 and you go to open the vent valve, I relate it to feathering a clutch. You ever sat at a red light on a hill and instead of the brake, you use the clutch and throttle to keep yourself from rolling back? It works for me, maybe not you, I don't know just my .02 and I have never once had a drop of oil on the underside of my lid.

Like finding that friction point, you have to find that point where the pressure in the collection pot starts to increase, then back it off very slightly and just feather the pressure in. Once it stabilizes, for me that's around 10-12 psi, I slowly open it all the way. Then I move over to the dump valve and do the same thing, this usually brings the pressure up to around 15 psi. You just have to get a feel for it.

Thanks, most of my rides have been manuals so this was a nice associational explanation, I will try this on my next run.

What FS and EE said. The secret is in gently opening the vent valve and equalizing pressure, before opening the dump valve, and also cracking it slowly to drain before opening it wide.

The other variable is how close your puddle is to the intake. What sized column are you running and what lower end?

I'm running a 3x36 column with a 12x6 collection pot.