What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Northern Lights x Citrus Sap (GG#4 x Tangie)

q3corn

I've had clones of these plants rooting for about a week, and they're looking healthy, so I figured I'd start the thread up now!

I have 3 cuts of Northern Lights, not sure which one it is. I was told #5, but since I'm relatively young to the whole "original NL" discussion, I'll keep that as just a guess. The Citrus Sap was a male I acquired from someone doing a test grow of new DNA/Crockett Family genetics. He's a lanky, stretchy, and already smelly for a plant still in veg. A very ambiguous citrus smell that really just reminds me of not so much peeling oranges, but being around oranges.

So why these two?

First of all, I've always had a great respect for NL, as it was the first really good weed I smoked while in NYC. Hung out with some friends, got drunk, took rips of this weed that came in a green transparent box, and proceeded to throw up and pass out in a cab ride home. After waking up I learned that I hadn't ever smoked good weed before, and my "I can take 10 bong rips" attitude was based off of schwag experience. NL gave me a new respect for what marijuana was capable of on a psychoactive level, and I've always wanted to grow that plant out. After 12+ years, I've finally gotten a mother plant to work with! My plan was to veg it until I could throw it out in the greenhouse, and I most likely will still do that. But in the mean time, it's cold and I have a micro cab, so I'll try a small grow.

The Citrus Sap is a brand new one to me. I've had GG#4 a few times and really liked how it was physically relaxing, but it didn't have any knock-out effects. I've not had Tangie, but I do love a fruity sativa. When that plant was offered, I instantly thought "cross it with the NL!" So here we are.

I plan to flower them all in the same room and just let the CS do his thing. No pollen collecting, just all-natural behind-closed-doors style breeding. After that, I really don't know what to expect from this cross, so I'll have to germ a whole bunch of seeds to see what I like best. This is my long-term project, and I'll do my best to document it here. Sort of a new-school-meets-old-school on strain crosses. I haven't even seen any documentation online about Citrus Sap, so I'm not sure if anyone's really grown it out. Northern Lights is, in my mind, sort of a grandparent strain for so many things out now. I consider it a staple, in the same way that Sour Diesel, OG Kush, Chemdawg, etc are. Just thoroughly widespread and well respected strains.

So here they are!
HTtBS6A.jpg

Thanks for tuning in

q3corn

Ok so I got my mini cabinet built for these clones. It's got 3x14w LED bulbs, and after moving them in for a few days, it almost is as if they've gotten worse! Here's a pic

QTQdbVM.jpg

See how the leaves are now curling downward? Could they be too close to the light? The water is the same ph as it was days ago, and I change that out every day. Some roots are just starting to show on the back-left NL clone, but even she looks a little weak.

thoughts?

q3corn

They were getting too much light, and as a result weren't producing any roots. I threw them in my big veg room behind some bigger plants and roots showed up within a few days. This was maybe 2 weeks ago. The 2 NL plants and 1 CS plant have been put into some nice fresh soil and in their own grow cabinet now. I'll veg them out for a while, and get one of the plants seeded

q3corn

Oh hey, I think I'll revive this thread now. I got a good amount of headway on this cross, so I'll get an update going.

Those clones finally took off, and I managed to pollinate my female Northern Lights with our super stretchy male Citrus Sap. You can see him stretching over my little NL clone here. I loved the violet and light green colors he was showing!

t9QesPT.jpg

Eventually I pulled all the seeds out of this lady, and managed to make about 100 of them. Plenty to start off with on my micro scale.

So after a few cycles I Decided to pop a few beans. I picked 4. 2 ended up being male, one of which was a bit of a runt. The other male I saved until I had a mite infestation on my veg room and had to gut the whole thing. Flower room was affected very minimally, so I was able to finish off my two NLxCS plants fine. They ended up being very similar in growth style and production. The only difference was female A smelled a lot more citrus-y, whereas female B had more of an earthy, hashy smell. Not undesirable, but I really wanted to work with that citrus funk that's stuck in the Tangie genetics, and to a lesser extent, the Northern Lights.

Here's a pic of the two girls at chop time. Grown under 3x 14w LED in 32oz containers. They each produced about 12g when dried, which I'd say is pretty good considering the size. I had a clone of the Northern Lights in there as well, and she pushed out a whopping 14.5g! So these ladies aren't quite as hearty, but maybe it was just this run.

5EDjtwS.jpg

Either way, F-A smelled much better than F-B. They both smoked great and had a solid hybrid high to them. Not too racey, not too stoney, but definitely a lot in the body. Great for anxiety. Both F-A and F-B stopped my cold sweats in seconds on more than one occasion!

I saved a clone of F-A and have made a few more cuttings from that, so I'll be growing it out again next cycle. She clones really well, which suggests for propagation purposes she's a winner!

I'll pop a few more beans, too, and maybe I'll find a different pheno that I like better, but doing all of this in ~1 square foot is difficult to say the least! Lots of patience required.

And lastly, here's a cured nug of NLxCS F-A...
l8my5e1.jpg

I'll post back here when I get another run at this plant.

q3corn

Ok back at it after I lost my password over a year ago!

Here's a shot of the NLxCS plant grown under some bigger lights. 300w Citizen LEDs. Plants chopped at day 84.

4lyiz28.jpg

It's so interesting to see how a plant changes from first to second to third harvest. This was it's second run, and it definitely started to smell a lot more like gorilla glue than the other parents. I don't have any photos of the third, but that musky, fruity, hashy funk of the GG really came through again. Fourth is gonna be under my 400w vero29 light (along with a few others).

I also popped 9 more seeds from this cross and got 6 females and 3 males. The females are all about 1 month in to flower, and the males have clones re-vegging so I can find the best dad of the three to polinate. Goal is something that grows well in small spaces, much like it's NL mom, but I want a more pronounced smell.

Naming is tough, but working name so far is Conifer. My thought was: what's a sappy, fruit-bearing plant that grows in regions where the northern lights are visible? Well, conifer trees are pretty much the most pronounced variety in the far north, and they're very sappy by nature. Plus, conifer never showed up on any searches, so there we go!

I'll try to keep this updated more!

q3corn

Group shot of the 3 males that I'm keeping. These got chopped up, but clones of them are vegging to see how they develop. I'm looking for something squat and bushy, so #11 looks like the keeper in this photo, but we won't be sure until I reveg and flower them again.

I'm also still on the hunt for the perfect female keeper of this one. This first pheno is great, but it's a long flower time and I think I can find a quicker finishing version.

q3corn

Well this thread died due to my own negligence!

Sadly, I lost all of my genetics when I had to move. Combination of cold temps, mold, and being too busy to run a larger space. I never got to make any F2 seeds, but I still have about 20-30 seeds from the original cross! Soon I'll be popping those...

I'm down to micro spaces again, so I'm thinking to preserve stock I should just flower a few males and females together and get a full seed run going, multiply that 20 seed stock up to 200, and *then* pheno-hunt through those F2s.

Won't get going on that until I get my new grow space dialed in with my first tester batch, but I'll keep things posted here. :joint:

q3corn

Back at it!

I put 8 seeds into paper towels in january, and 5 of them survived. 3 of them probably died from too much moisture, to be honest. Anway, they've been restricted to small pots for the last 2+ months to stress test them since I'm looking for nano-friendly lineage.

Anyway, 2 weeks ago I topped them to take clones, keep the seed-plants in veg as long as possible. The plants are pictured here:

There's some interesting 4 and 6 leaf expressions, and some of them split into three branches where they got topped. As of now, the only one I'm considering as a no-go would be #18. It's got these reeaallly long leafstems and huge leaves that are impractical for such a small confined space. On the other hand, 16 and 17 have much shorter leaf stretch and more vigorous side branching. Lucky #13 has 5 tops growing, and #15 is growing the tallest.

In my super-passive perlite cloner, they're getting roots:

So far only one clone has died, #16, and that's probably just because it was a little too small and it dried out overnight. The others are looking like they'll be able to get put into their own pots in the next week, and from there I'll be flowering them. I'm considering doing an open pollination just to get seeds made. Once These clones go into flower, I'll take more cuttings of the females and flower them out to have some tester smoke.

I'll keep some updates going in this thread as things progress :joint:

q3corn

How's this moving along? I saw you just harvested some conifer. Was it seeded?
It's moving along! I haven't updated this thread and I totally should have.

I've made F2 seeds out of the 5 plants I was able grow. I got 3 females and 2 males and did an open-pollination on them. Managed to pull a few hundred seeds out of each plant, and I kept clones of the females which I'm going to be growing a few times to determine which is my keeper. 13, 15, and 16 were female; 17 and 18 were male. 12 and 14 died early on in life. The males looked very similar to each other, and very similar to the Citrus Sap male I used. Stretchy, thin sativa structure with mostly 3 and 5-pronged leaves.

So far #13 is my favorite, but I had a hard time getting duplicate clones of #16 to root, so I haven't grown a non-seeded form of that plant yet.

Conifer 13 on the left, 15 on the right. Just a few days before harvest.

I would normally not have picked #13 as my favorite, since it's growth style is far from what I was hoping. But she clones real easy, grows gorgeous buds that have a mild aroma of earth and gas, and finished faster than #15 by over a week. The lower smell is preferred since stealth is still one of the objectives I was going for, but she's a bit stretchier than I was hoping.

Smoke testing will start for real in a few weeks since they're not quite done curing yet. #15 is way stinkier, very reminiscent of GG4.

Thanks for checkin' :joint:

q3corn

They both got it! It's just a matter of who becomes the mom to future generations.

But who am I kidding, I'll be growing both batches out to test :D

q3corn

I have three seeds from the Conifer #13 I threw into solo cups and put directly into flower, just to see what sorts of plants show up. When people say f2 is where a lot of variability exists they aren't lying
picture.php

I got lucky with all females, but holy cripes could these not be more different! All three of these were as short as the middle one right when they started to show sex. Obviously one doesn't stretch at all, and one nearly quadrupled in height! She also threw out one or two dicks and knocked herself up in a few spots. I have no idea what's gonna come out of that plant or how long it'll take. I'm guessing those characteristics came from the deep sativa lineage in the tangie? It started to develop trichomes really early, like day 14 or so, and it smells sweet and sour. Other two are a lot more solid bud structure, less noticeable frost, and the smell is still fairly vegetative.

I'm excited to have these finish out, but holy cripes, that plant threw me off and thought it was worth sharing. :joint: