What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PC Case Growers Club

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
I'd say go for a 70watt HPS for a midi tower.

Full tower/server case you can go 150watt.

rkrone, unfortunately the links were buried when OverGrow (RIP) went down. There were quite a few sick 150watt full tower/server PC grows. People only used 70watt'ers/CFL's in the smaller midi cases.

G

thanks man, its too bad about OG. Just from the threads that have been reposted here, i can see it was a great community.

well we all know what that means right?...someone has to get a 150 in a server and document a grow. :joint:

G

Question for my PC migro growers.

Lookin to extend the wires that go from the socket to the ballast on the 70w hps (converted security light). As of right now the wires are the ones that came in the thing (bout 5" long). This is a huge pain in the ass b/c the ballast has to sit right on top of the case.

Was gonna try to use a large extension cord, but not sure what to do w/ teh ground wire.

If anyone could explain a simple SAFE way to extend the wires a few feet, it would be greatly appreciated.

:wave:

G

i thought about extending mine and i think if you get some of the same gauge wire you can just splice it to the socket and the lead itself w/out a ground assuming your outlets are grounded...but dont quote me on this, im a newb to electricity myself

G

not sure what gauge it is. it doesnt have anything written on the insulation. perhaps err'ing on the larger side would be a good thing?

G

i get it now, it sound like a cool tube of sorts...they work so why not right?

sugabear_II

Veteran
Qbert said:
Question for my PC migro growers.

Lookin to extend the wires that go from the socket to the ballast on the 70w hps (converted security light). As of right now the wires are the ones that came in the thing (bout 5" long). This is a huge pain in the ass b/c the ballast has to sit right on top of the case.

Was gonna try to use a large extension cord, but not sure what to do w/ teh ground wire.

If anyone could explain a simple SAFE way to extend the wires a few feet, it would be greatly appreciated.

:wave:

Hey PC micro growers I hope you don't mind if I jump in here - use an extension cord ground should go to from the third prong on the plug to the metal case of the ballast box and then from the metal ballast box to the metal of your lamp mount or the metal of the case - you can find a link to a DIY with some diagrams in my signature.

I just read most of this and it's awesome - I really like the pc grows.

Do most folks use the midi towers - is there any one in specific that works well?

what do you guys do for ventilation - pc fans? lol - no but seriously do you guys use the 110ac or the DC fans?

What is the average length of the cases? anyone ever tried one with floro tubes?

Y'all just got my mind thinking with ideas...

-suga

Last edited:
G

hey suga bear II, thanks for the info :wave:

i run a bulky compaq tower from '98

80mm and 120 mm pc fans both running off the same 13v dc adapter

in regards to a tube fluoro in there: my case is long enough to put an 18" comfortably but i much prefer cfls simply because they are more powerful for their size and you can cram a bunch in there with the proper ventilation.

i also wanted to let you know that i think that the small diy carbon scrubber you made out of those netpots is a perfect companion to any pc growers exhaust...do you think we could get an official post with the link??:D

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
sugs, I run a big midi ATX case, probably around 12 years old! Dimensions are 43 d x 49 h x 19cm width so it's not too bad. Ventilation is 1 x 80mm PC fan inlet and a dual 80mm PC fan outlet. I will add another one to blow at the plants in a short while. Lighting is just a 45watt CFL - nothing more is necessary since this is only for mom plants/cloning. :D

sugabear_II

Veteran
hey krone - thanks or the kind welcome

here's the link to the scrubber

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=48949

and here's some pictures - very easy to make.

I used a pci slot fan and as you can see the result is a vertical hanging mount. I don't know if a single pci slot fan could effectively ventilate a micro grow - I used this for a drying box - however I do use the same size pci slot fan for exhausting my veg cabinet with around 50 watts of cfl.

-suga

G

this is my project of pc case.
70w hps
look on picture and give word what you think about it

G

i think you should completely separate the cool chamber from the grow chamber, it will be more efficient IMO

do you have the light and fans and such?