What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any life long stoners have Alzheimer's?

Aluminum does not cause Alzheimer's. The aluminum in the brain is an effect of the disease, not its cause.

Aluminum is the most common element in the Earth's crust. Your body and your brain are well adapted to manage it.

Let's put this aluminum myth to rest. It was based on a very poorly done study from more than forty years ago.

There's much better evidence for other causes, such as vascular health and your gut microbiome.
im still not smoking aluminium k :comfort:

St. Phatty

Yeah....it was difficult to drink 6-7 liters of water everyday...

...and with ambient temperatures higher than my body temperature should be, and no air-con it was very difficult to function.

I live in Oregon, far enough from the coast to make it a lot like desert, in the summer.

I feel sometimes like I'm living on the desert planet Tatooine in Star Wars.

Once the sun comes out, it is FVCKING HOT. In the afternoon, my outdoor work slows way down, and I mostly just move sprinklers around (watering compost piles in the shade) and do follow-up from the day's morning tasks, or pre-prep for tomorrow's morning tasks.

Of course, in the afternoon all the plants are getting the sun, and it feels good to watch my babies grow in their deer-resistant enclosures.

There's a reason San Francisco is so popular - scenic views and all that natural air conditioning. It gets hot for a few hours a day, at most. Then the fog comes rolling in again. Very conducive to complex thinking, like you find in the programming industry.

If you can afford it, it really is a nice place to live - side-stepping the politics.

In San Diego, it's pretty much the same. EVERYBODY wants to be at the beach. When I lived there I lived North County Coastal, which also has the afternoon fog cooling things off.

Full-time heat is basically a survival experiment. Sorry you had to go through that, and that it might have been related to your Cannabis activism.

It is noteworthy that THC is a
considerably more effective inhibitor of AChE-induced Aβ deposition than the approved drugs
for Alzheimer's disease treatment, donepezil and tacrine, which reduced Aβ aggregation by
only 22% and 7%, respectively, at twice the concentration used in our studies
ha

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Accessing memories depends a lot on how they are stored. Lanuage automatically has them stored symbolically and retrieval is similar to a computer word search.
Preverbal memories are not as easily located or interpreted, mostly due to being stored before the massive brain changes brought on by using language.
I identified one of my mystery recalls as the fluorescent bulbs in the hospital corridor where I was born. Visual storage is hard to describe but other memories could now be called up from birth to acquisition of language. Being autistic, language took extra time.
Many things in the first year would be better forgotten, most folks are lucky enough they don't remember.

Alzheimers does not run in my family, I am the first generation to smoke marijuana all my life.
Alcoholics do run in the family, two alcohol related suicides as well as early deaths from health problems.
Alzheimers and its loss of memory may be evolution's way of a compromise, like sickle cell leukemia imparts resistance to malaria.

That was my earliest memory, struggling to open eyes in nursery with florescent lights. Then being brought outside the room another time, followed by extreme pain crying and being put back in room.

WelderDan

Veteran
Aluminum does not cause Alzheimer's. The aluminum in the brain is an effect of the disease, not its cause.

Aluminum is the most common element in the Earth's crust. Your body and your brain are well adapted to manage it.

Let's put this aluminum myth to rest. It was based on a very poorly done study from more than forty years ago.

There's much better evidence for other causes, such as vascular health and your gut microbiome.

Actually, it is the third most common element after oxygen and silicone, but that's just nit picking. You consume aluminum every time you drink water, or eat food. Aluminum is a common ingredient in antacids and antiperspirants. You naturally excrete it in urine and feces.

As for smoking out of aluminum, you can't generate enough heat to form an aerosol that you can absorb. Add to that the fact that once exposed to air (a few hours), aluminum forms an oxide layer that has a higher melting point than the aluminum.

The only people that really have to worry are people that work in smelting plants that get exposed to a lot of it. And they use the proper precautions, so even then, it isn't a serious problem.

Using an aluminum bat or bowl, or making a pipe with foil or a beer can is not going to give you alzheimer's. I'd be more worried about the paint on the can, or the liner they spray in the can to keep the acid in beer/soda from causing an off taste.

I was exposed to way more aluminium when welding than any of you will ever be from smoking out of your pipes.

brown_thumb

I haven't researched damage aluminum may or may not cause. Perhaps it's affected by how some peoples' bodies process that particular element? Wilson's Disease is caused by a person's body's inability to effectively remove copper.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
The ones who HAVE got Alzheimers can't find their way to this site.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I can't remember....

Billy?? Is that you??

Alzheimer's sucks to watch.

It's probably pretty tough to suffer through as well.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Malcolm Young - Anybody Remember Him ? I Sure Do

Malcolm Young - Anybody Remember Him ? I Sure Do

Malcolm passed away in November/2017. He was suffering from dementia, which is an advanced from of alzheimers.

gettyimages-876802934-a1616217-81d6-4770-bd0d-f8ee49808435.jpg

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/acdcs-malcolm-young-bandmates-admirers-on-guitar-legend-w512792

Dofous, you're an misinformed brainwashed idiot. You probably think you're well read, but in reality have no idea what the fuck you're talking about....:spank: Please do us all a favor and crawl back under your rock where you belong.

I have several older family members who suffer from dementia and alzheimers. It's a terrible disease to suffer from, and tears your soul to shreds to witness it.

RMS

:smoweed:

Loc Dog

Veteran
Malcolm passed away in November/2017. He was suffering from dementia, which is an advanced from of alzheimers.

View Image

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/acdcs-malcolm-young-bandmates-admirers-on-guitar-legend-w512792

Dofous, you're an misinformed brainwashed idiot. You probably think you're well read, but in reality have no idea what the fuck you're talking about....:spank: Please do us all a favor and crawl back under your rock where you belong.

I have several older family members who suffer from dementia and alzheimers. It's a terrible disease to suffer from, and tears your soul to shreds to witness it.

RMS

I just found this. It is already FDA approved for asthma -

https://interestingengineering.com/dementia-symptoms-have-been-reversed-in-mice

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Rocky, sorry for your relatives, but redirecting the anger at bystanders does not help.

A larger than normal percentage of Alzheimer's sufferers was found downwind of an industrial area working with aluminum. Much was made of this at the time although it was a single event and discovered serendipitously while studying other factors.

Further studies to duplicate the results were inconclusive, aluminum did not always correlate with Alzheimer's in other locations.

I watched my grandfather die over a period of years after a stroke paralyzed him. I did not get insulting and call folks personal names because they had not experienced this themselves.
Doofus? Brainwashed? Really?

WelderDan

Veteran

View Image

RMS

Wow. Talk about misinformed, brainwashed and no idea what the fuck you are talking about, you hit the trifecta.

You bring up Malcolm having dementia, yet I don't see where you correlate his dementia with aluminum. His dementia was due to years of heavy alcohol abuse.

Then you toss in your relatives, but offer no proof, in either their case or Malcolm, that aluminum was the cause of their alzheimer's.

Your argument is basically "Malcolm Young died of dementia, so you're a doody head."

I would think that if you were as well read as you seem to think you are, you'd have presented a better argument.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I guess that we all get exposed to bad things throughout our lives, some that may adversely effect our minds and/or bodies.

Each man or woman must have a very individual experience of exposure to toxic substances that may cause problems with health sooner or later.

That tin of paint you opened and breathed the fumes from while painting the bathroom, that industrial area you drove thru when you got lost in India, that SEAsian city you lived in where at the end of each day you were covered in soot from the smog. That water you drank from a questionable source when thirsty half way up a mountain in Peru....

Extremes in climate, changes in foods/diet, riding in pressurized cabins with enclosed air conditioning at 30,000ft with hundreds of others is always a potential health risk, in fact life itself is a health risk that always ends up the same way.

Loc Dog

Veteran
I hope this critical article did not get over looked. It is FDA drug, that is already pricey, for asthma, reversing Alzheimer's to an extent. Also THC stops brain plaque. https://interestingengineering.com/dementia-symptoms-have-been-reversed-in-mice

I suffered since 11, with father 56, hating me for thinking I stole his tools and sold them. They all wound up in locked shop he had. He did not die till 90, and was worse and worse. Was giving me anxiety attacks. Would call 911, and cops there a minute later, and did not know why he called. Puppies took advantage of him (bought to cheer him up). They went from side to side when giving treats, since he did not remember who he fed.

I REALLY HOPE, THC will prevent it in me. My brother quit 20 years ago, and is getting it bad. Totally relies on wife and near by daughter.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/08/150817132325.htm

Traumatic memory retrieval. Based on the theory of the brain recalling memory by being in the same chemical situation the memories were stored in.

This is an old idea. Back in the 1970's a friend in college used this method to increase his grades. He liked smoking and the theory stated that memories stored while stoned would be more accessible when stoned again.
He smoked a set amount each day and studied for two hours. At exam time he smoked the same amount before taking the tests.
Indeed, his grades improved dramatically, proving the theory in his unhumble opinion.
Another friend noted that since he had never study regularly before, perhaps the simple act of studying had more influence than the smoking.

Anecdotes aside, this study shows some of the difficulty of retrieving memory from infant states or high stress situations.

WelderDan

Veteran
https://medicalxpress.com/print448794622.html

Alzheimer's disease could be better treated, thanks to a breakthrough discovery of the properties of the metals in the brain involved in the progression of the neurodegenerative condition, by an international research collaboration including the University of Warwick.

Dr. Joanna Collingwood, from Warwick's School of Engineering, was part of a research team which characterised iron species associated with the formation of amyloid protein plaques in the human brain—abnormal clusters of proteins in the brain. The formation of these plaques is associated with toxicity which causes cell and tissue death, leading to mental deterioration in Alzheimer's patients.

They found that in brains affected by Alzheimer's, several chemically-reduced iron species including a proliferation of a magnetic iron oxide called magnetite—which is not commonly found in the human brain—occur in the amyloid protein plaques. The team had previously shown that these minerals can form when iron and the amyloid protein interact with each other. Thanks to advanced measurement capabilities at synchrotron X-ray facilities in the UK and USA, including the Diamond Light Source I08 beamline in Oxfordshire, the team has now shown detailed evidence that these processes took place in the brains of individuals who had Alzheimer's disease. They also made unique observations about the forms of calcium minerals present in the amyloid plaques.

Understanding the significance of these metals to the progression of Alzheimer's could lead to more effective future therapies which combat the disease at its root.

Dr. Joanna Collingwood, Associate Professor at the University of Warwick's School of Engineering and expert in trace metals analysis, high resolution imaging, and neurodegenerative disorders, commented:

"Iron is an essential element in the brain, so it is critical to understand how its management is affected in Alzheimer's disease. The advanced X-ray techniques that we used in this study have delivered a step-change in the level of information that we can obtain about iron chemistry in the amyloid plaques. We are excited to have these new insights into how amyloid plaque formation influences iron chemistry in the human brain, as our findings coincide with efforts by others to treat Alzheimer's disease with iron-modifying drugs."

The team, led by an EPSRC-funded collaboration between University of Warwick and Keele University—and which includes researchers from University of Florida and The University of Texas at San Antonio—made their discovery by extracting amyloid plaque cores from two deceased patients who had a formal diagnosis of Alzheimer's.

The researchers scanned the plaque cores using state-of-the-art X-ray microscopy at the Advanced Light Source in Berkeley, USA and at beamline I08 at the Diamond Light Source synchrotron in Oxfordshire, to determine the chemical properties of the minerals within them.

They also analysed the magnetic state of the iron species in the plaques to confirm the presence of various iron minerals including the magnetic iron oxide magnetite.

The research team propose that interactions between iron and amyloid that produce the chemically reduced iron species, including magnetite, may account for toxicity that contributes to the development and progression of Alzheimer's.

There are 850,000 people with dementia in the UK, with numbers set to rise to over 1 million by 2025. This will soar to 2 million by 2051.

There is no cure for Alzheimer's disease or any other type of dementia. Delaying the onset of dementia by five years would halve the number of deaths from the condition, saving 30,000 lives a year.

The research, 'Nanoscale synchrotron X-ray speciation of iron and calcium compounds in amyloid plaque cores from Alzheimer's disease subjects', is published in Nanoscale.

More information: James Everett et al, Nanoscale synchrotron X-ray speciation of iron and calcium compounds in amyloid plaque cores from Alzheimer's disease subjects, Nanoscale (2018). DOI: 10.1039/C7NR06794A
Provided by University of Warwick

ozzieAI

Veteran
having worked in aged care...aluminium is the least of your problems...

alcohol...now that is where the danger is at....the vast majority of residents in our 'memory support unit' where because of alcohol abuse....there are other causes...but booze was the overwhelming #1 issue...like 75%...

it changed my drinking habits, i can tell you...

maintain your cannabis regiment and hopefully someone will get the research done...

stay safe...

Latest posts

Latest posts