What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first grow box

Athos

Ok guys, change of plans. I'm sure the problem is neither heat nor light stress but the plant been root bound, specially since the second plant is just starting to show some of the same symptoms and last time it went away after transplant.

I went ahead and transplanted to their final home of 6 liter pots and as soon as they are out of shock (if there's any) I will change the bulbs to 2700K color ones and start the flowering stage. If I try to keep vegging another 1 or 2 weeks they'll be root bound again.

Here's the root zone of both plants.

Athos

I used a tupperware, it's an idea I found in a thread in the forum here I believe.

You can see it in the picture below

Athos

And it’s update day again. Today is day 35 since breaking soil and day 6 of flower.

The plant was so short and bushy that I increased the distance of the canopy to the lights to promote the plant to stretch. Just before switching the height of the plants was 4 inches, after 6 days of 12/12 it’s now 8 inches or was since I did some tying down.

It was pointed out to me that the reason that I had leaves curling was probably not due them been rootbound, but a combination of the soil been too hot and letting it dry a bit too much, so now I’m watering every 3 days.

Here are the weekly pictures with last week pictures for comparison purposes

and the other one

Athos

I forgot to mention in the last update that after watering I measured the run off of both plants, the one that didn't have any problems had a PPM of 1000, but the other one had a PPM of over 4000, I did a little flushing just in case.

Athos

Hello again. Today is day 42 since breaking soil and day 13 of flower.

Surprise, surprise, exactly like clockwork I got cupping of the leaves around day 8 or 9 once again since transplanting, so it’s not the soil been too hot. Once more I transplanted, this time to 3 gallon… well the second plant came 2 liters short of 3 gallon, buy anyway… I used all the substrate I had on hand.

Once again I did some research and I believe that it might be a slight to moderate mg deficiency, considering that since my tap water is naturally 7 ph and 20 ppm it’s probably devoid of it. Just yesterday I watered with epsom salts and seaweed extract. In the next days will see how that goes.

I also defoliated a little to expose some of the lower buds that were shadowed.

Here are the weekly pictures with last week pictures for comparison purposes, once again along with last week pictures.

Athos

Welcome back. For my weekly update, it’s day 49 since breaking soil and day 20 of flower.

I finally got around getting a pH meter and some adjusting solution. As I was told the tap water has a range of 6.4 to 7.4, depending on the day but… I was letting the water rest for a couple of days and when I went ahead and measured the pH of that…. man was it high 8 something almost 9. So I’m pretty sure I finally nailed the problem down.

Five days ago I gave it a watering with some seaweed extract 6.8 pH to see how it would respond, so far it’s been slowly uncurling.

But now some of the lower leaves of 1 plant have been turning yellow. What do you think it is? Here you can see it

Anyway, here are this week’s pictures along last week ones.

Hen

Yep, pretty normal for tap water pH to be over 8. Lower leaf yellowing is usually nitrogen deficiency.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Very cool man! It's going to be neat seeing the flowering phase. I've always been curious about doing one of these micro-grows to keep me entertained in the off season. Might have to throw something together.

Athos

Here we are once again, and it’s day 56 since breaking soil and day 27 of flower.

The stretch seems to have slowed down significantly and even if they continue to grow I have a little more room. The plants were 8cm (3.1”) and 10cm (4”) at the switch, and now they stand at 24cm (9.4”) and 35cm (13.8”), so they stretched 3 times their initial height.

Both plants have started to form flowers. I’m keeping the plants between 2 and 5 inches from the lights.

In both plants I had yellowing in the lower leaves, more so in the bigger one; so I added some grow nutes, since I think it’s still kind of early for the plant to start yellowing.

Here are this week pictures along some side shots so you can see the baby nugs.

Athos

Another week has passed, it’s day 63 since breaking soil and day 34 of flower.

Not much to say really, I don’t see any vertical growing, only the
flowers forming in both plants.

Here are this week pictures along last week ones.

Athos

Yay, update day once again. It’s day 70 since breaking soil and day 41 of flower.

Plants have been really thirsty this week, I had to double both the amount of water I was using per watering and the frequency of it. There’s been some minimal vertical growth on both plants; they stand at 17 inches (43 cm) and 11 inches (28 cm). Quite the stretch don't you agree? Besides that the flowers are taking a beautiful shape and size.

Other than that, the yellowing of mid to lower fan leaves continues regardless of the nute strength, so I assume it’s normal.

Runoff has been at a steady pH of 6.6 to 6.8 and the EC at 0.78

All in all I think they have 4 to 6 more weeks to go.

Here are this week pictures along the ones from last week.

Athos

Once more, here we are and it’s day 77 since breaking soil and day 48 of flower.

Everything is going OK and buds are growing very quickly. At this rate I think they will finish in 3 to 5 more weeks, at the 10th or 12th week of flower, just like it’s supposed to.

And for the fun part, pictures.

And a couple of bud shots

Athos

It’s time for another weekly update. It’s day 84 since breaking soil and day 55 of flower.

There really is nothing to say, flowers continue to grow & swell. I expect to be done in 2 to 4 weeks.

A picture is worth more than a thousand words.

A couple of bud shots from both plants

Athos

And once again it’s time for an update. It’s day 91 since breaking soil and day 62 of flowering.

I noticed this week that one plant had the top leaves with rust spots, I assume it’s calcium deficiency, since my tap water is 20 ppm (0.04 EC) and my run off has been between 300 ppm and 500 ppm (or it could be some mild case of light burn).

Pistils are white, although there are quite a few colored ones, maybe half and half. Thricomes are mostly clear, quite a few cloudy and a couple amber ones.

I just started to see calyxes starting to swell. All in all, it’s supposed to take between 75 and 90 days according the seed bank, so between 1.5 and 4 weeks... I believe there's left than 2 weeks left, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

And this week pictures.

jonhova

can you explain how you constructed the can filter to the fan and tupperware?

How is the smell in flower?

Aweome stuff here!