What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Weird bug on orange tree??

Hey guys, there's this weird bug we've noticed on my little brother's orange tree. It's just chillin' there upside down lol

Anyone know what this thing is? It's so weird looking.

OldPath

trouble

Veteran
OldPathBluSky said:
Hey guys, there's this weird bug we've noticed on my little brother's orange tree. It's just chillin' there upside down lol

Anyone know what this thing is? It's so weird looking.

OldPath

Thats a Locust Shell. They shed their skin.

........................................................................................................

trouble - Oh man locust are really bad, aren't they? Should I kill it?
edit: oh it's a shell, so is that thing alive, is it just the skin, or is it in the process of shedding?

quadracer - thanks :D

OldPath

Last edited:

trouble

Veteran
OldPathBluSky said:
trouble - Oh man locust are really bad, aren't they? Should I kill it?
edit: oh it's a shell, so is that thing alive, is it just the skin, or is it in the process of shedding?

It's actually a "Cicadas", however, most people in North America call them "Locust". That's the shell or skin they leave behined after completing their molting process. Their the incects that make that loud noisy buzzing.

hey OldPath,
no reason to worry, that is just the shed exoskeleton of a Cicada not a locust. They chew on tree roots when they are young, but don't do any noticeable damage. Insects and spiders have a hard shell that makes their bodies rigid, so they must shed their skin in order to grow. Cicada nymphs spend their whole life underground until it's time to transform into an adult, mate, lay eggs, and die. You can hear them calling on hot summer days.

Freezerboy, trouble - Cool, thanks a lot for the info guys. Much appreciated :D

edit:
ClimbingHigh - Thank you also for taking the time :D

OldPath

Last edited:

clowntown

Veteran
180px-Cicada_molting_animated-2.gif

Wikipedia said:
Cicadas do not bite or sting, are benign to humans, and are not considered pests.
Sounds OK, but still looks nasty. I hate bugs!!

cloneX

Hey what a cool time lapse, looks an interesting insect. I love insects Humans would be lost without them. They clean up after us, pollinate the food we eat and do all sorts of wonderful things we know nothing about. The only thing I hate are wasps and earwigs

MrFista

Veteran
Cicadas and animals are very funny. They have little hooks on their feet and they hang onto a cats or dogs face (normally perched and dug in on the nose) when animals attack them.

So you got a dog or cat running round in circles crying and carrying on - bested by an insect!

Latest posts

Latest posts