What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ROOROOR First Grow: Stealth Micro 2x Sour Diesel 330W T5 SWC SCROG w/ CO2+Scrubber

ROOROOR

That's right, I consider myself pretty handy so I'm making a cool little cab that will hopefully give me some nice yields from a small space. I think I can pull off a pound after a few grows.

The cab is a gladiator series steel cabinet from Lowe's. I had it lying around to lock tubes up in.

Now I reversed the top and bottom and gutted the drawer and plan to mount the front plate permanently to the frame. I have a little temp monitor temporarily placed but I have a control wizard digital nutrient ppm, pH, and temp monitor on the way (look just like a nutra dip). I think I'm just going to
keep it simple with heavy duty single analog timers. There are nice digital ones but I don't see the need at the analogs are compact which is important for me.

I am using two 3 gallon rubbermaid tubs with 5" net pots. Each tub has a $60 Double XL Micro Pore glass air stone. They are powered by a massive commercial grade 60 liter/minute pump. My aeration setup is way overkill and the pump could run 20 gallon DWC buckets but my plant roots are going to get a lot of oxygen and I don't have to worry about cheap pumps dying or not supplying enough air. I also have a 3/8" check valve for the pump on the way to keep it safe.

The thing is loud though so I attached tubing to the intake to muffle some of the sound and I will route it so it is pulling in fresh air from outside the box which is good since inside the air will be CO2 enriched.

Now for ventilation I got a 95CFM 4" square mount blower that will go in the middle of the bottom of the box and blow downward. The air pump will eventually be in front with the blower positions straight in the middle.

I ordered 1 lbs of high quality activated carbon and I will make an inch layer of carbon on the entire underside of the cabinet. there is space underneath and it has caster mounts or feet so air flow is not a problem. I will build out the bottom then use mesh and screen to seal the bottom. it will add two inches underside of the cab and the feet or wheels more than compensate.

I may add six 120mm yate loon pc fans powered by a small power supply vertically perpendicular to the doors blowing at the ends on the T5s on them for cooling.

There will be a total of 14 2' single hydrofarm T5s. Multiple can be linked together so it would only need two or three power cords and the rest would be linked to each. That gives me a total of over 330 watts.

I need to find a screen for the SCROG, any suggestions?

Any suggestions on reflective material for the cab? Is mylar best? Are their any good paint alternatives?

I'm going to add more sheet metal to the doors and certain areas and rivet it on to create light proof seals.

Now I know CO2 is a little excessive but I figure it is a small space and I want the best so why not try something that hasn't really been done super small scale co2.

I am going to use 2 20 oz paintball CO2 bottles linked together to a regulator with solenoid valve which will be attached to a timer. For size comparison 2 tanks is 2.5 lbs of CO2. I figure these will also be easy because you can pretty much get them refilled anywhere at sporting goods stores, wal mart, welding shop, paintball store. i've even seen pre filled 20 oz tanks for sale at lowe's for pneumatic tools.

the pc fans i mentioned before at the top of the cab could also double as controlled intakes to cool the lights and supply fresh air. i could time them to be off during co2 injection. The bottles will be at the back of the cab behind the blower and the solenoid will be dropped forward from the tanks which will be side by side.

I'm also considering an inline pump to circulating the two containers to control and monitor everything easily. If I can figure out a way to do it and find the space somewhere I was considering having a small 1/2 gallon on 1 gallon chamber int he middle where the circulating pump would be and also the monitoring probes, possible a small chiller but i dont know if the little thermoelectric res chillers work or are worth bothering with.

Check out my latest purchase:

CAP dual tank co2 regulator

I'm going to hook up two 20 oz co2 tanks now and maybe if i expand to dual cabinets i will get two 2.5 or 5lb tanks. Basically I would get another of the same cab, put it side by side and have two more of the same bubbler tubs and all 4 would be linked and recirculate. One cab would have the bkiwer and air pump in the middle and the other the co2 ranks. i will have a sentinel full co2 humidity ppm digital controller to run the cap dual tank solenoid. this thing is really nice and a lot better than the hydrofarm active air system they had. was pricey at $260 though.

To complete my final plans there will be a third cabinet that will be split with one tub for a few mothers and then another area for my cloner which will be a nice ultrasonic fogger setup. That way I will have a mother room, clone room, and then two high tech grow rooms that are both veg and flower when you swap the bulbs. If I do 300 watts each cab how much can I yield? I will have constant controlled 1500ppm co2 levels and over 100 watts per square foot for about square feet total.

So 4 nice sour diesel plants under 600 watts of full veg or bloom bulbs. Each in its own 3 gallon container with $60 double xl micro pore air stone receiving 15 liters of oxygenated air per minute from a commercial grade 60l/m pump. I have the pump ingtake coming through a filter on the outside bottom of the box to get the most oxygen since the air inside is co2 rich.

digital timers, nutrient and ph monitors, temperature and humidity monitors, displays,and controls. recirculating swc setup. how much can i yield?

I hooked up a mini co2 system with two 20oz co2 tanks and then i will have a few extra filled lying around to change out but it is close to 3 lbs of co2 in two bottles. I could get 24oz bottles and have a full 3 lbs too and they would fit.

I need to find or order a 3/8" ID check valve so water doesn't backflow into my pump.

I did a little recirculating setup with a small pump to circulate the two containers.

Sorry the latest co2 and recirc pics are from my cell phone.

Looking good like a micro grow should. (maybe more like a midi grow)...

I'm interested in your yield with CO2. I'd love to try CO2, but I depend too much on ventilation for my temp control.

As far as reflective material, mylar is probably best, flat superwhite paint is a close second and much easier to deal with IMHO. Reflextix is an option too, goes well with you industrial look.

All around an impressive effort.

ROOROOR

Headless Hornet said:
Looking good like a micro grow should. (maybe more like a midi grow)...

I'm interested in your yield with CO2. I'd love to try CO2, but I depend too much on ventilation for my temp control.

As far as reflective material, mylar is probably best, flat superwhite paint is a close second and much easier to deal with IMHO. Reflextix is an option too, goes well with you industrial look.

All around an impressive effort.

Thanks! I founf some nice full tower rocketfish cases at best buy that i think were mismarked at $47 because online they are $120. I got one and may pick up another for a CFL high density SOG. I have the case completely gutted and their is a lot of space. I found these narrow sobe life water bottles that fit three across inside the case perfectly and they have a wide moth that fits the neoprene disks i have perfectly. I'm thinking i can do 3x7 for 21 little plants each in their own bottle and each bottle gets a little aquarium air stone and nutrient solution with CFLs up top and a little carbon filter. could be fun. I really want to get the second cab for the mothers, cloner and small veg room, and more utility space.

haha just noticed your usertext- best scene ever.

Last edited:
rooroor
nice looking cab! i'm working with about the same dimensions with a v-scrog.

i had two of those air pumps before and your not kidding about the noise they make. but they are some kickass pumps if you don't mind the noise. they will have the water raging with bubbles. you might want to put that pump outside the cab cause they do get HOT after running 24/7. the air being pumped will be warmer than the ambient so you may want to add extra tubing between the tubs and the pump to help cool the air. you don't want a it causing problems with res temps being so close.

looks like everything is coming together nice! i like the Co2 set up you got going, is that DIY? i'm interested in the cost of that stuff. i paid out the ass for the setup i got and would like to be able to pass the info off to a friend who i'm helping to get growing. i got a few 20oz CO2 tanks sitting around from the paintball days that could be useful.

ROOROOR

stke_fingas said:
rooroor
nice looking cab! i'm working with about the same dimensions with a v-scrog.

i had two of those air pumps before and your not kidding about the noise they make. but they are some kickass pumps if you don't mind the noise. they will have the water raging with bubbles. you might want to put that pump outside the cab cause they do get HOT after running 24/7. the air being pumped will be warmer than the ambient so you may want to add extra tubing between the tubs and the pump to help cool the air. you don't want a it causing problems with res temps being so close.

looks like everything is coming together nice! i like the Co2 set up you got going, is that DIY? i'm interested in the cost of that stuff. i paid out the ass for the setup i got and would like to be able to pass the info off to a friend who i'm helping to get growing. i got a few 20oz CO2 tanks sitting around from the paintball days that could be useful.
yeah it is an expensive cap dual tank cow2 system. i may return it in favor of a cheap diy aproach. i think the 20oz co2 tanks need special fittings because i dont think these work with the pin valves. i may return this reg then get a cheaper single one and hook up two screw top on/off paintball tank adapters with 1/4" threaded outlets to go into the reg.

ROOROOR said:
yeah it is an expensive cap dual tank cow2 system. i may return it in favor of a cheap diy aproach. i think the 20oz co2 tanks need special fittings because i dont think these work with the pin valves. i may return this reg then get a cheaper single one and hook up two screw top on/off paintball tank adapters with 1/4" threaded outlets to go into the reg.

lol sounds like you payed out the ass for yours too. i didn't think about how the valve would differ, the paintball Co2 tanks need a pin to open the valve. i know they have regulators and fittings to make a DIY system at about every paintball shop but where would you find the electronically activated switch(i can't spell..solenoid)? i'm going to google now...... i'll let ya know if i find something applicable.

...................................................................................

so i went and there is like a gazillion different "'Pneumatic solenoid valves" out there...

question?
can someone that knows pneumatic's help with what valve would work?

i just slapped the shit out of myself when i seen the prices on the valves. :nono: CMEMORY! i paid $300 for my co2 gear! :fsu:

i'll make a DIY thread if someone can tell me which valve i need. it looks to be under $100 for the COMPLETE setup. this would be great for the micro guys looking for CO2 without the huge bottles and cost. i think i need to calm down... i'm just excited about making CO2 an option for fellow micro growers.

Last edited:

Mr_Micro

Very professional cab ROOROOR! I love the DWC/T5 setup and the CO2 is just the icing on the cake. I too have found that my results have always been better with CO2 than without, but since I grow in PC cases I never had the space for a big expensive CO2 setup. Thus I have been using one of these cheap and simple Nutrafin CO2 setups originally made for aquariums ---> http://www.aquariumguys.com/nutrafinco2.html

It's a simple matter of putting some sugar in the bottom of the canister, adding in the activator and stabilizer tablets along with some warm water, screw the cap back on and connect the 1/4" tubing to run it into your growbox. And voila! You have a constant flow of CO2 into your micro cab for 30 days. After 30 days just clean it out and refill it with sugar, water, and the activator and stabilizer tabs and you'll have another 30 days of CO2.

It's simple, cheap, and my yields in my PC case growboxes have always been substantially larger (at least 1/4 oz. bigger) when using this CO2 system when I did side by side comparisons of with CO2 and without. I like to place the CO2 output tubing near the top of my cab just below the lights on the opposite side of the cab from the exhaust fan. That way when the CO2 comes out of the tube the exhaust fan will suck it across to the other side of the case, and since CO2 is heavier than air the CO2 particles will fall down over the canopy (a ScrOG screen in my case) as the exhaust fan pulls it across the case. Just be sure to stop using it when you get down to the last 2 weeks before harvest, as additional CO2 is not needed then and can delay ripening.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack your thread there ROOROOR, just wanted to provide some info on what I've found to be a very simple, cheap, and effective CO2 setup for PC case growboxes and other micro cabs. :smoke:
Once again, great looking grow man!

jtk707

Would love to see an update , Thats petty cool that u r using co2 cant wate to see the end result , if I had that setup I would only use the co2 for 12/12 :muahaha:

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
Wow. You've got your shit together! I like the C02 setup. Really neat peace of micro equipment. I wouldn't mind having one to play around with.

Now lets get to growing Rooroor. Nice name. I'm about to buy the litttle sister for myself. Its such a nice peace of glass.

Mr_Micro said:
Very professional cab ROOROOR! I love the DWC/T5 setup and the CO2 is just the icing on the cake. I too have found that my results have always been better with CO2 than without, but since I grow in PC cases I never had the space for a big expensive CO2 setup. Thus I have been using one of these cheap and simple Nutrafin CO2 setups originally made for aquariums ---> http://www.aquariumguys.com/nutrafinco2.html

It's a simple matter of putting some sugar in the bottom of the canister, adding in the activator and stabilizer tablets along with some warm water, screw the cap back on and connect the 1/4" tubing to run it into your growbox. And voila! You have a constant flow of CO2 into your micro cab for 30 days. After 30 days just clean it out and refill it with sugar, water, and the activator and stabilizer tabs and you'll have another 30 days of CO2.

It's simple, cheap, and my yields in my PC case growboxes have always been substantially larger (at least 1/4 oz. bigger) when using this CO2 system when I did side by side comparisons of with CO2 and without. I like to place the CO2 output tubing near the top of my cab just below the lights on the opposite side of the cab from the exhaust fan. That way when the CO2 comes out of the tube the exhaust fan will suck it across to the other side of the case, and since CO2 is heavier than air the CO2 particles will fall down over the canopy (a ScrOG screen in my case) as the exhaust fan pulls it across the case. Just be sure to stop using it when you get down to the last 2 weeks before harvest, as additional CO2 is not needed then and can delay ripening.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack your thread there ROOROOR, just wanted to provide some info on what I've found to be a very simple, cheap, and effective CO2 setup for PC case growboxes and other micro cabs. :smoke:
Once again, great looking grow man!

might just order two... is CO2 only used in flower?

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
ROOROOR said:
I ordered 1 lbs of high quality activated carbon and I will make an inch layer of carbon on the entire underside of the cabinet. there is space underneath and it has caster mounts or feet so air flow is not a problem. I will build out the bottom then use mesh and screen to seal the bottom. it will add two inches underside of the cab and the feet or wheels more than compensate.
I cant wait to see this!

I need to find a screen for the SCROG, any suggestions?
Chicken wire. I find it works best.[
29289DWxGB_scrog-thumb.JPG
[/url]

Any suggestions on reflective material for the cab? Is mylar best? Are their any good paint alternatives?
Flat white paint is just about as good as mylar and its cheaper and easier to find.

I'm going to add more sheet metal to the doors and certain areas and rivet it on to create light proof seals.

Now I know CO2 is a little excessive but I figure it is a small space and I want the best so why not try something that hasn't really been done super small scale co2.
I say go for it. I might want to try later. Explain well please.

I am going to use 2 20 oz paintball CO2 bottles linked together to a regulator with solenoid valve which will be attached to a timer. For size comparison 2 tanks is 2.5 lbs of CO2. I figure these will also be easy because you can pretty much get them refilled anywhere at sporting goods stores, wal mart, welding shop, paintball store. i've even seen pre filled 20 oz tanks for sale at lowe's for pneumatic tools.
Can you show how you put it together please?

the pc fans i mentioned before at the top of the cab could also double as controlled intakes to cool the lights and supply fresh air. i could time them to be off during co2 injection. The bottles will be at the back of the cab behind the blower and the solenoid will be dropped forward from the tanks which will be side by side.

I'm also considering an inline pump to circulating the two containers to control and monitor everything easily. If I can figure out a way to do it and find the space somewhere I was considering having a small 1/2 gallon on 1 gallon chamber int he middle where the circulating pump would be and also the monitoring probes, possible a small chiller but i dont know if the little thermoelectric res chillers work or are worth bothering with.
I don't think you'll need a chiller unless you can't keep your room under 85. You have to remember when your canopy fills the screen over the res their will be a heat block from the conapy of the plants that will definitly help keep the res. cool.QUOTE]

Keep up the great work. Can't wait to have the money to do this to my cab(s)

Last edited:

MattHatter

Thats an awesome cab man, A+++ for your craftsmanship, I love the use of the Tool chest and the CO2 setup is great. I cant wait to see it in action.

*edit*

:laughing: Is that a Black and Decker drill ffs?!?! LOL get some dewalt :laughing:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts