What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

outdoor grow -1st attempt

axle2u

hello all,

id like to inquire, into some advise in regards to outdoor hazards

outdoor hazards such as what kind of animals to deal with, what they do to the plants,
and various kinds of insects to deal with
and anything else associated with outdoor grow, that can harm your plants

indigenous to southern ontario, Canada

also, once identified
what home made remedies and best course of action to take

this season, is my first outdoor grow

thanks,

axle

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Well your gonna have to worry about deer, rabbit, foxes, rippers, rabbits. Plus your gonna have to deal with the weather. Your gonna have to find a area that gets alot of sun. Your gonna have a ton of insects to deal with, also snails, slugs will eat the leaves off. Your gonna possibly have to carry in water to your location if your not close to fresh water.

For the deers, rabbits, animals I use deer and rabbit repellent from Wal-Mart. But you may need cages around your plants for a bit.

For rippers you may need a trail cam and gun.

The weather you gotta figure that out.

For insects forget about home remedies go buy a quality insect spray.....i use several different ones as you gotta worry about mites and things and need a specific mite spray. I use trifecta corp, neem oil, sevin, and rotate them.

If your guerilla growing you gotta be careful and bring plenty of water, watch for snakes, bears, dangerous animals. Also poison ivy is crazy this year. I already got in my eyes and had to go to ER

But if you need any help friend stop by the anything outdoor 2019 thread. There's alot of great outdoor growers around there to help.

axle2u

Well your gonna have to worry about deer, rabbit, foxes, rippers, rabbits. Plus your gonna have to deal with the weather. Your gonna have to find a area that gets alot of sun. Your gonna have a ton of insects to deal with, also snails, slugs will eat the leaves off. Your gonna possibly have to carry in water to your location if your not close to fresh water.

For the deers, rabbits, animals I use deer and rabbit repellent from Wal-Mart. But you may need cages around your plants for a bit.

For rippers you may need a trail cam and gun.

The weather you gotta figure that out.

For insects forget about home remedies go buy a quality insect spray.....i use several different ones as you gotta worry about mites and things and need a specific mite spray. I use trifecta corp, neem oil, sevin, and rotate them.

If your guerilla growing you gotta be careful and bring plenty of water, watch for snakes, bears, dangerous animals. Also poison ivy is crazy this year. I already got in my eyes and had to go to ER

But if you need any help friend stop by the anything outdoor 2019 thread. There's alot of great outdoor growers around there to help.

thank you so much,

this is definitely a very good start, for sure

axle2u

... he may be growing in his yard (Southern Ontario)

well kinda, myself I live in an apartment, with my own
indoor closet grow, currently flowering....
built a sweet set-up....quite, stealth, no smell
right downtown....

my 77 yr old moma, and dad
have 4 acres, close by (1 mile)...
wooded lot in the back, big big lawn, an old orchard
and a fresh water creek running through it all at the very back of bush....

I used to fish that creek for years, growing up as a young boy
it was awesome I tell ya, just walking down the back yard to fish
lotsa trouts back in the day, rainbow, brown, brook too I think

anyways, I was able to finally convience my mom
to grow her 4 legal plants....ahaha

so now im doing an outdoor grow, and got my area set up yesterday, camoflouged ,
in the event any rogue anglars stroll up on mom n dads property....

but I do need to educate myself on outdoor hazards,
mites, insects, animals and the like....

btw, my dad has lots of guns, he got more guns then anyone I know....
been a hunter going way back, still buys guns, still goes to the range, even at his age....

me I have absolute no interest in guns, period

so that's the back story of my situation
I will be posting pictures soon...

today I will be bring on the plants
and transplanting, some primo clones ive been growing for couple months already indoors....
some already started to bud

I will get back to y'all

cheers.......:tiphat:

-axle

green-genes77

Veteran
well kinda, myself I live in an apartment, with my own
indoor closet grow, currently flowering....
built a sweet set-up....quite, stealth, no smell
right downtown....

my 77 yr old moma, and dad
have 4 acres, close by (1 mile)...
wooded lot in the back, big big lawn, an old orchard
and a fresh water creek running through it all at the very back of bush....

I used to fish that creek for years, growing up as a young boy
it was awesome I tell ya, just walking down the back yard to fish
lotsa trouts back in the day, rainbow, brown, brook too I think

anyways, I was able to finally convience my mom
to grow her 4 legal plants....ahaha

so now im doing an outdoor grow, and got my area set up yesterday, camoflouged ,
in the event any rogue anglars stroll up on mom n dads property....

but I do need to educate myself on outdoor hazards,
mites, insects, animals and the like....

btw, my dad has lots of guns, he got more guns then anyone I know....
been a hunter going way back, still buys guns, still goes to the range, even at his age....

me I have absolute no interest in guns, period

so that's the back story of my situation
I will be posting pictures soon...

today I will be bring on the plants
and transplanting, some primo clones ive been growing for couple months already indoors....
some already started to bud

I will get back to y'all

cheers.......:tiphat:

-axle

You're definitely in the right frame of mind. There are a lot of components to consider in a successful outdoor grow and the best advice has already been given: read a lot. Of course, the best teacher is experience, specifically failure, so know that you're never going to be able to do it perfectly and your first attempt will involve some sub-optimal outcomes.

Pests, in a small outdoor grow with plants that went into the patch clean, are generally minimal and subject to natural controls via predation, weather, and other food sources. The most frequent pest in my guerilla career were leafhoppers, which stand little chance against a vigorously growing plant.

Animals are a little more of a concern, since herbivory can spell the end of a plant and digging animals can severely compromise the root system. When I ran guerilla patches I would create fences out of sticks and branches to protect against deer and rabbits. These will typically leave plants alone once they're in full bloom and not as tender, but wood rats may gnaw on your stalks in August to get at water. Diggers are generally after animal waste products in the form of fertilizers. Blood meal and fish meal seem especially attractive.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, but you seem to be off to a good start. And yes, fuck guns and booby traps and the like for dissuading rippers.

You're on the right track, and the advice given above is all very sound.

I use 2inX4in fencing to keep deer and rodents bigger than squirrels out -haven't had problems from the squirrels or chipmunks though, or mice.

That covers animal pests for me here in the NE US.

As for bugs... well!

Early July, some type of moth lays eggs on my plants, and if I don't hose them down with bacillus thuringensis from concentrate, (liquid version, mixed in water,) I get boring caterpillars.
They are the absolute worst! they dig in, eat the inside of the stalk and crap all over the place, injuring the plant, letting them become susceptible to botrytis mold.

I do the Bt spray once a week, more if it pours on them.

For mold, I use GreenCure, mixed slightly less than they call for to not brown up all of the pistils. We don't smoke pistils anyway, so if they turn brown early... I just think of that as a form of birth control.
Brown pistils can't get preggers from stray pollen, if it's around.

The GC keeps the mold away, but if I see a spot I pluck it out and spritz with H2O2/water and keep an eye on it.

The only thing that stops mold from destroying your crops outside is to grow an early flowering variety that is REALLY resistant. You can get them harvested by early September or late August, and they don't have a chance to get dewy-wet and mold up when it gets cooler.

If you have a strain that finishes later, (like October-November,) you have to spray GC every week, BT alternating. Both are safe for use and I've never tasted a difference.
Others here may be opposed to BT and GC, but to each their own.

One other piece of outdoor advice: Keep a journal, make notes on what the date is, what problems you find, (or don't find!) and next season review it when it's time to think about planting again.
Your own experience will be the very best teacher. Cannabis is decidedly NOT a "set-it-and-forget-it" kind of growing experience.

If you keep a close eye on things, and can head off caterpillars and mold... you're doing OK.

The weather?
Welcome to the atmosphere hahaha.
It might be good, might be bad.

You'll know after you cut it all for harvest what kind of a season you had. :)

Make sure they get at LEAST 10 hrs of unfiltered sunlight. You can get by with 8, but more is more here. They love full sun.
Watering in the AM is best; they have water with which to respire and all sorts of energy to pack on big smelly flowers.

Go easy on nutrients, too. Unless you are growing a finicky indoor variety, you just plain don't nee more than good, living soil made with a bunch of compost. Perlite helps keep it from compacting.
Pretty easy, really. I just mix up soil with compost I've made last summer that has been sitting since Fall. Add perlite, regular old garden soil and mix in a *little* vegetable fertilizer. Before planting, bury a dead fish at the bottom of the pot. I use sunfish, aka "bluegills", aka "bream". I leave the old roots from last years grow in that soil, too. It feeds them as well.

Good luck!
Take notes!
Enjoy sitting at the knee of the master, we all have to bow to -nature.

axle2u

picture.php

this is a little nook I eyed up, early spring, (recess into the thickets)

picture.php

I parked this old trailer along side the bush, in front of nook
-this is view from front, -visible side

picture.php

this is view from back -visible side

picture.php

have a close look at the "hidden side" right into that nook..
fully fenced in, and a hidden 5 gallon jug full of water
run off trays for 5 gallon fabric bags,

picture.php

grayeyes

wvkindbud,

Your solution to rippers takes care of the problem of growing entirely. Not much weed gets grown in prison.

Dankwolf

Check out some,of the out foor threads here on ic mag . there are tons of info . as far as preventive maitance for bugs/ molds/ mildew /and rodent/animal issues .

Neem and blur dawn soap can be your best friend. Speaking of best friends don't include any one if at all possible .

So read a few out door threads from last year . then come,back to your thread with question about what you have learned .

There are many books about each of your many qestions .it will help a lot if you take a little time and help narrow down what you need to know .

Don't get over whelmed . take it one step at a time . :tiphat: good luck this year . :tiphat:

40degsouth

Hi everyone, hope you're all well!!
Axle2u, sometimes the biggest "outdoor hazards" are the ones we don't think about. If l could talk to the young me who was about to start his first grow, the one and most important piece of advice l would give him is strain selection, just because it does well inside doesn't mean it will do well outside and in the same breath just because you see a photo of a huge plant doesn't mean that that plant will grow at your latitude, altitude or any number of environmental reasons that prevents that plant from reaching it's genetic potential.
Try and see your failures as learning experiences and this will prevent you from getting to downhearted.
The soil is alive, it's what feeds our plants; try to avoid chemical pesticides, chemical herbicides, chemical fungicides and chemical fertilisers, they kill the soil and the micro and macro beings that live in it.
Fertilise the soil not the plant. A good soil moves with life.
Check out the first 100 pages of the "Growing Large Plants Outdoors" thread (it's a beauty)
"Schrews" has been around since about 2014 and is one of the best theads on here.
Microbe Man has got some fantastic information for organic growing and check out Dankwolf :)tiphat:) he's doing some crazy stuff too with the same number of plants your growing with.
Axle2u, l'm wishing you all the very best and looking forward to watching your grow.
Cheers,
P.S. Check out Endless Sky, it might be just the plant for next year :woohoo: