What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2019 Cherry Bomb

grayeyes

I have six starts. Anyone else growing it?

Hey Mr. G, I told you I would post when they came up. Vigorous little beasties!

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Mr Greengenes released Cherry Bomb to the world.

Unfortunately I've only run a cross with it but that was some good stuff!

Let's see some pics grayeyes!!

grayeyes

Big difference. Mr. Greengenes's strain is pure after working for many generations.
The others are imposters trying to cash in on his work. Ignore them or certainly don't buy their rip-offs. It does not serve the community.

grayeyes

Swami is authorized to sell it here in the US. Our own Verdant Green has some that he offers from time to time in the UK.

It is hard to find. Mine was given to me by a friend. And yes, I will be making seeds.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi grayeyes! Thanks for starting this thread. I've got a few CB seedlings going outdoors myself, I'll upload pix as soon as I take them. Big thanks to Swami (GAS) for preserving this strain for the last 5 years. I should add that not only did GAS preserve Cherry Bomb but he has made selective improvements to the traits I've mentioned to him EXACTLY like I would have done myself. To use a lovely old term, it really blew me away!

whats the difference between?

cherry bomb - Hawaiian Sativa x Cherry AK47 - https://en.**********.eu/strain-info..._or_Legendary/
and
cherry bomb - 70’s Oaxacan Mexican x Afghani - https://en.**********.eu/strain-info..._Organic_Seed/

HillBillyAlien, those look like some of the other genetics GAS is running, maybe they're crosses he made? GAS gave me some other seeds that I grew out a few of as well. A 'Mazar x Guerrero' is amazingly potent with lemon and cucumber terpenes. Another, 'The One x Paki x Choco Thai' is the biggest, most vigorous 'sativa' plant with short internodes, super high potency and strong, complex terpene profile. I would highly recommend GAS' genetics to anyone looking for unique phenos.

Koondense

Veteran
Hi Mr.Greengenes,
are these seeds available anywhere? I'd love to try the Cherry Bomb some day.

Cheers

rolandomota

The cherry bomb story, to get these currently you got to email swami organic seed they have a website.....
https://www.greengenesgarden.com/cherry-bomb
Cherry Bomb

I'd like to personally thank Swami Organic Seed for continuing to care for the Cherry Bomb strain of cannabis. Any breeder with experience knows how hard it is to manage a single strain. When we make a few crosses, the responsibilities pile up rapidly. Cherry Bomb is one of my oldest true, inbred strains. It dates back to the mid 70's and is pure Maui Wowee. A dealer friend found a seed in a pound of 'sensimilla' Maui Wowee and gave it to me. I asked him if I could look through the rest of the bag and I found 6 (or 7, can't remember exactly) more seeds.

Thanks to my grandmother, I knew what open pollinated meant in the mid 70's. I began working CB towards that goal. I inbred (brother to sister) each generation gradually including more and more plants of each sex. By the time I realized that CB would be safer in the hands of as many breeders as possible, it was around generation 12. That was late 90's, I think.

There was variability in the first few generations of Cherry Bomb. That suggested to me that it had been crossed recently. Very likely the first 6-7 seeds were the result of a (an accidental) cross because the pound was virtually seedless. The traits that varied showed the typical range from a cross of a sativa and an indica, which was common in the mid 70's. Because I was already working with quite a few indicas, I was more interested in the sativa traits of CB and probably steered it in that direction.

One of the early plants had a very distinct and powerful cherry lifesaver taste and smell that it passed on to it's progeny quite well. That trait is still present, but less obvious. Now, it is a bit underneath some other tastes that may have been a result of my selecting for increased potency, or THC. The cherry taste does seem to come out more obviously when CB is used in crosses, especially with other sativa dominant strains that are lower in potency.

Cherry Bomb is obviously sativa dominant. It grows quite large and fast, so takes some experience indoors. Outdoors, it is trouble free and will grow you a huge tree with massive buds. In 1999, I managed over 5 pounds on a single outdoor CB in southern California with no more care than a tomato.

Cherry Bomb is also very tough, even for a cannabis plant. It's often the last plant to show symptoms when a crop is stressed.

CB generally has large dark green leaves and wine colored stems. The cherry smell is often detectable on the stems themselves. That makes me think that it's from a water soluable chemical, as opposed to something in the resin.

CB resin is not extremely oily like some sativas, but it is more on the oily side than sticky. That makes the dried flowers more prone to damage from rough handling than a sticky indica.

CB smoke is kind of heavy and earthy. There is quite a bit of 'bottom' flavors and smells like coffee or tobacco. CB does benifit from a short curing period after drying, but if you withhold N during flowering, CB tastes pretty good as soon as it's dried. Certainly curing CB is not as important as a harsh indica.

More than one medical collective has told me that CB was excellent medicine. I don't know of anyone who has had it tested, but when that information is available, I'll link to it. I've personally noticed that Cherry Bomb gives a feeling of general well being and calmness. It's certainly not a paranoia inducing strain. There seems to be a bit of direct pain killing effect as well. To me, it is like walking on pillows.

One collective described the CB medicine as having a 'high ceiling'. They meant that one could achive a good dose without feeling lazy or falling asleep. If you stop and think about it, that's a very interesting concept. There's no way I could have thought of that myself, much less selected for it! This is exactly the reason I love to try to breed for other peoples needs. It expands my relationship with cannabis in ways I could never imagine myself

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
rolandomota, thanks so much for reposting my words!

Hi Mr.Greengenes,
are these seeds available anywhere? I'd love to try the Cherry Bomb some day.

Hi Koondense, Swami has the best selection of CB that I know of right now. Verdant Green here on ICMag also has CB seeds direct from me, but I'm not sure if he's offering them right now.

In the last year or so, I've been asked this one question many times by people breeding cannabis; 'what's the best way to select a male plant?'

I think one of the best answers is, 'choose a male from an IBL if at all possible'. The reason is simply that a male from an IBL is likely to influence progeny in a predictable way. Even if that IBL male doesn't have exactly the traits you're looking for in combination with your female, his influences will be easy(er) to identify and sort in future generations. Not saying F1 or double hybrid males are no good, just that they will need progeny testing, while the IBL male won't. The IBL male can be a time saver in a breeding project.

picture.php

picture.php

These pix (sorry, don't know why the one is sideways) are of Cherry Bomb seedlings I grew from Swami seeds! I'll post more soon.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
. It dates back to the mid 70's and is pure Maui Wowee. A dealer friend found a seed in a pound of 'sensimilla' Maui Wowee and gave it to me. I asked him if I could look through the rest of the bag and I found 6 (or 7, can't remember exactly) more seeds.

WOW... sure sound like the 'chemdog' story....

grayeyes

Mr. G,

how did you know I was going to ask exactly that? I have two in 1 gallon pots and 4 sprouts. Hoping to get two males to select from. Thanks!

Latest posts

Latest posts