What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mega stealth odor control

anon0988

I just finished my first cab run (2'x4') and am planning a slightly larger grow. This time around the location isn't going to be as forgiving with odor, so I want to make sure this is SUPER under control. I'm currently thinking of doing 2-4 carbon filters instead of just one, maybe with an ONA bucket in there somewhere. Anyone here ever used multiple carbon filters to further reduce smell?

Tompo

No experience having multiple filters, but maybe instead of having 4, I might consider having 2 larger ones to lessen the risk of leakage (4 vs 2, double risk).

Or better yet, make a setup where you have 2 filters in line. One feeds filtered air to a sealed box that has the next filter, this way if the other breaks or starts to leak there's still no smell going around.

Next step in my mind would be an ozone filter after the carbon filters to be extra sure. From reading others experiences they aren't as good but have no pressure losses and do a pretty good job on their own even.

T

trichster

2 filters WORKS, 1 at beginning and one at very end. go filter<lights or fan<filter. make sure you pull prefilter off end filter and stick it inside the carbon filter.

Tompo

go filter<lights<fan<filter.
I have read that most fans are better creating negative pressure than positive, so that pulling from 2 filters would be easier for the fan than pulling from one and pushing to the next. Might be wrong in this, but remember reading that more than once. Otherwise that would be the most simple way totally and safe too.

RB56

Veteran
If odor control is critical, also think in terms of redundancy with your multiple fans/filters. Lay it out so that a hardware failure won't let odor escape.

Swamp used multiple filters in his previous grows. He used a huge one for evacuating the room air and if I remember right, the other was a 4" off of his lamps. In addition he had an ozone gen.

He had the funkiest of em all in that room. SourD, the Chems, bubba,etc.

In all honesty, it still reeked. I couldn't imagine the stench without all the odor control. When he chopped ChemD, the reek was thick at the mailbox by the street.

Good luck!

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Use a filter in the cab/ tent growing in, and another outside of the cab/ tent growing in. Ozone is the only other option, either in-line or placed strategically in the room outside cab... Ona is good stuff and will also help but not if extraction is not doing it's job.

I've grown in spaces where smell leakage was paramount concern just using a good brand of carbon filter oversized for the grow space with matching oversized fan as I read the slower smells pass over carbon the better chance of removing offending odors from the extracted smelly air

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Vaportek Optimum 4000 w/ classic neutral cartridge

Run this in addition to your scrubber.

Most importantly however is to ensure you are running negative pressure in the room if running an exhausted space, but positive pressure anywhere past the scrubber/fan combo (in your ac-hood, ducting, etc)

Pull through filter.. push through everything else and out.

anon0988

I'm thinking it's going to be a 5x5x7 cabinet that will be built in the back of a garage. The goal, nay, requirement is that that there be no detectable odor outside of the garage interior. If I use a VaporTek Optimum or a Ona Pro Gel bucket with Breeze attachment, is that going to take care of the odor inside of the garage itself? Can I vent that air outside?

the gnome

Veteran
Vaportek Optimum 4000 w/ classic neutral cartridge

Run this in addition to your scrubber.

Most importantly however is to ensure you are running negative pressure in the room if running an exhausted space, but positive pressure anywhere past the scrubber/fan combo (in your ac-hood, ducting, etc)

Pull through filter.. push through everything else and out.

i got one last recently with a neutral cartridge.
i have a small can 50 and moved it to an oversized room @48 days in bloom, its too small to handle the load alone for scrubbing the air in the room but adding the VO 4000 and its all gravy now,
it still smells, like something else tho,
but nothing like the cannafunk that was reeking in there B4

those things work and are well worth the price!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts