What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

mylar effective?

baet

when dealing with possibly not enuff fluoro lite to vegging yungin's is mylar an effective way to provide more of that lite to the plants?
is mylar worth the effort? or shuld i jjust get another t5 bulb?

more light can never hurt but the mylar is just going to make the most use out of that light. i think mylar is worth it but more light would be better.

aasin527

i picked up some light proof curtain from wal-mart. that seems to work well also. i hear mylar and other shiny material is highl reflective while flat white material such as paint and poly curtain diffuses the light, while directing 90 some odd percent of the light back at the plants.

it depends on what kind of mylar you get. the silver is very reflective and is almost like a mirror but you can also get mylar with white on one side and black on the other. the white is reflective and the black discourages mold. prepare to pay heftily for the black & white tho.

aasin527

i also picked up a roll of what looks like mylar covered bubble wrap from one of the diy stores. it's marketed as infared shield

aasin527

yeah, that reflectix is 97% reflective, and all you have to do is run a couple of staples through it. i've been re-using the same roll for 3 years no joke. plus it has the dimpled structure for better diffusing light instead of a hot spot reflection. i guess in the end people use what suits their situations. what works well for one, may not work well for another.

wow thats really cool. one thing about the mylar is its a bitch to keep flat and wrinkle free. and once you crinkle it good luck to ever get it as good as it was. i hear the black and white is great if you are doing a closet grow. but i might have to go to home depot and check it out.

S

sparkjumper

I used mylar my first couple grows,what a pain.I tried panda not much better.You cant go wrong with flat white paint

Skyburn

flat white paint does it reflect better then panda plastic? Im all for something new and that isnt such a pain in the ass.

baet

ooooo looks like refelectix is an awesome solution, almost 100% refelective, and helps in diffusing lite to deal with hot spots!
i think we shuld get another lite, but my buddy says no we just need mylar, hes just cheap tho.

baet

were using fluoro tubes, t5's, i was thinking about just getting another 23 watt CFL, yeah. but then we'd need another timer, but theyre only like 6 bucks...

we'll just get that reflectix stuff from homedepot that reflects like 96% and has little diffuser bumps and see from there..

L

LolaGal

I got some 4 foot by 8 foot sheets of styrofoam house sheathing at Lowe's. It's white and I made walls out of it. Works great! They also have 4x8 sheets of styrofoam covered with the reflective aluminum stuff. The stuff I got was $7 a sheet. Very good for insulating my cool bloom room too. Hope this idea helps! If option is mylar or white paint, I'd go flat white paint. Works better with MH Mylar supposed to be better for HPS I read in a Ed Rosenthal book somewhere.

I got a roll of mylar, its a good idea, but useless in the end. If you spray neem or organicide, your never gonna take the time to clean it off the mylar. I'd go with flat white paint, Panda film next, and then mylar begrudgingly.
I'm interested to see the reflectix stuff though.

may22

i sprayed neem oil two days ago , entire place and i dont see diference now or before , maybe few drops

Latest posts

Latest posts