What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FoxFarm Ocean Forest Soil

Has anyone had problems with this soil? I have a recent post with pics in the Infirmary section because my plants are sick and I suspect its the soil, even though I've flushed twice.

As for PPM, EC, I don't have anything to measure that...just pH, and that is between 5.5 and 6.5.

I

Iron_Lion

I've used FFOF soil for just about every grow, with excellent results. FFOF is great straight out of the bag by itself or mixed with other FF soils like Light Warrior. Bad results could be operator error, 5.5 soil ph seems pretty low and not very good for your plants. My run off always measures 6.5 on the dot with FF soils. In my opinion proper water pH is one of the most important factors in having healthy plants. In the past when my pH pen was unknowingly f'd up my plants did terribly, got a new ph pen, ph'd water to 6.5 and all problems went away.

L

loc

I cut my fox farm with perilite,but also cut it more with some seed starting mix for seedlings.It can be a little too hot for babys.:joint:

as for the pH range, thats the best I can figure. pH is somewhere around 6. I don't know for sure because all I have is the Gen Hydro pH test drops, and the color code looks like it could be somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
as for the pH range, thats the best I can figure. pH is somewhere around 6. I don't know for sure because all I have is the Gen Hydro pH test drops, and the color code looks like it could be somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5

Then it may be time to invest in a new pH meter. rapitest isn't too shabby and it's under $20. Ya still gotta know how to read it because it uses whole numbers with no decimals, just slight hash marks to figure out 6.5 from 6.2. Other than that suggestion, do some digging on eBay.

Good luck with the plants.

Widow Maker

I've used ocean forest for all of my grows... about 3/4 ocean forest, then the other 1/4 is half vermiculite, half perlite. never had any issues. seedlings grow fine in it, excellent even. imo it has enough natural nutrients in it to start that you shouldnt even need a light fertilizing for two weeks. also, my PH is usually 6.3-6.6. If you can afford gallon bottles of water (reverse osmosis or whatever) i'd go for that, your water may be too acidic.. usually 50 cents to a buck a gallon

S

sparkjumper

Stealth you need to learn to read the colors bro,are you a little colorblind?The difference between 5.5 which is basically the same color as GH Ph down nearly orange and 6.5 which is a lime green is pretty drastic.I've used the GH Ph test kit for years and its accurate as can be.Shoot for a yellow with just a touch of lime green in it and you're there

Cruzin

With Fox Farm i tend not to feed my plants when first transplanting because its got enough in the bag. maybe ill add some mico product for the roots but thats about it. then after they are kicked in, it rocks. Ive used it for two years straight and its good shit.

i use ffof and even though it is a little hot i don't mix it with anything. first couple feedings i use unfertilized water then start ff grow big after 2 weeks and everything seems to be fine. my ph varies slightly between 6.5 and 6.8 depending on watering sched.

S

sparkjumper

Ocean forest with fox farm perlite isnt cheap but its about the best you can do.Someone mentioned vermiculite I would stay away from that.My mix is Ocean forest,FF perlite,mycorrzae,1-0-0 worm castings if vegpot and Happy Frog fruit and flower if in flowering pot.Not cheap but O so effective

luvtogrow

FFOF really good stuff right from the start to the end. Perlite and worm castings help too and a modest amount of lime in the final mix, though i start in styro cups with soil and perlite and add stuff when potting up.
Just my experience- don't worry over ph of your soil mix. I over anal ized my first few grows and got into trouble compensating for measurements that were probably inaccurate. I take no checks now and my crops are better than ever.

S

sparkjumper

Good point ltg I lime my flowering pots at a teaspoon per gallon and thats not a 1 gal nursery size,you'll overlime if you go by nursery potsize.Not so much for PH control like when using promix just for slow acting cal/mag

Latest posts

Latest posts