What's new

Has anyone done this before?

T

TroubleGuy

Ok, to make it easy to understand, let's say my 12 on are from 8am to 8pm. Let's say I wanted to change it to be from midnight to noon.

Will adding an extra 30-60 minutes of light (or dark) per day until the cycle can run 12 on from midnight to noon cause any severe stress? I ask because obviously in nature there is no perfect 12/12, so it seems reasonable to assume that adding 30 minutes here and there to change the light cycle wouldn't be too stressful.

Am I wrong? Please don't tell me I am if you don't know from experience, this is something I haven't really heard of anyone doing and I would like to test it in a secondary flowering room.

I N Hail

Growing Grower AKA Wasted Rock Ranger
Veteran
TG
Don't add any light's "on" time,you'll interrupt your Dark period

When your light's go out at 8pm reset your timer to 12:00noon for a 3/4 day's
Then 4pm,8pm,12midnight and your good to go it's only 4hr's of extended dark period
each change so NO PROB.

I N Hail

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
If your lights go off at 8 am and you want to switch to midnight to noon, just leave em off one day till midnight. No big deal.

why would you switch from midnight til noon? Highrr prices for miday energy use, hotter temps if you go til noon, which means more usage of fans and possibly AC, which in turn sends you back to higher costs.
Just wondering what your pluses would be in switching.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just put them to sleep for the extra hours,, then switch back on at 12.00 till 00.00

The important thing is to NOT disturb the 12 hours darkness.

All the best

T

TroubleGuy

The times I gave aren't the actual times I'm switching to. Just used them as an example ;)

And I don't think my area has cheaper electric rates at night...

T

TroubleGuy

Just want to double check...extending the night cycle by a couple hours each day until I'm at the 12/12 hours I want won't hurt them? Not something I've done before, don't wanna hurt the girls...

no extra light, just extra dark. Can I just leave them off an extra....7 hours one time and flip lights back on then resume 12/12 from the new time? i'd kinda like to get it all done with in one go if it won't hurt the plants. also, found out my area does have cheaper electric at off-peak hours :joint:

T

TroubleGuy

and no hermies when they come back on? this is the paranoid stoner in me asking, haha... just reallllllllly hesitate to do anything unless i'm sure it won't make them hermie.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
depends, if they are hermies then they will hermie, if they arent they wont.