What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any growers using HPS for Veg?

JazzJazz

When i upgraded my flower light to 1K I was left with a 400 watt hps with nothing to do.Now i normally veg with flours but will I get good veg growth with a 400 HPS compared to my flours? What kind of different growth patterns can i expect using Hps instead of flours or lets say metal halide ?

Thanks,
Jazz

AndreNicky

Im currently vegging with a 400 hps, plants are still young but growth is pretty compact so far and they look very happy. I do plan to uprage to a CMH bulb at some point tho

oohcow

I'm using HPS... I was poor, and just started my first setup, goin 600W hps from germination to harvest... I'm currently 1 week into 12/12 they look aight to me.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I find HPS is a more forgiving light than MH, when used on seedlings under 3 weeks old. The UV rays from MH light can fry them, if you don't know what you are doing. IMO.

I use T-12 floro shop lights, first 3 weeks. No harm...No foul.

Last edited:

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
I'm vegging 11 soon to be 14 under 150w HPS. They'll be flowered soon as I grow micro.

T

tyler

always veg and flower under 1200w, compact nodes, tight buds is the result

jm420

Veteran
No such thing as a stupid ? as long as you only ask once.I do believe there is a lot of threads on this subject.I personally use an hps even on clones with good results
mh /hps entire grow ..best
Hps entire grow ..good
mh entire grow ...ok
floros entire grow so so
leds ...TBD
Everyone has diffrent results with there grows
but from my research its a good basic guideline

JazzJazz

Thanks everyone for your replies. I did use this 400 mh in veg but only after clones rooted and started with flourescent first. It was hard to tell but it seemed to me that the internodel spacing increased with the stronger 400 mh ( hortilux also ). Will there be less stress on my plants when i switch to the big lad ( 1K hortilux ) because i vegged with a 400 watter verses using the softer flourescents?
PS.....BigRigRob....if that's your attidude to help others than stay out of my threads.

Thanks Jazz.

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
it can be done, but its not prefered. plants use different wave lengths of light for different phases of growth. the MH more closly represents the summer sun while HPS has more autumn colors. everything we do in our garden should have the idea of intimidating nature since that is what these plants have adjusted to over millions of years.

anyway, :rant:. if its all you got, let em grow. they will be fine. maybe a little more stretch... if you can grab an MH i would go with that for veg. but most importantly, grow it!

BigRigRob

Thanks everyone for your replies. I did use this 400 mh in veg but only after clones rooted and started with flourescent first. It was hard to tell but it seemed to me that the internodel spacing increased with the stronger 400 mh ( hortilux also ). Will there be less stress on my plants when i switch to the big lad ( 1K hortilux ) because i vegged with a 400 watter verses using the softer flourescents?
PS.....BigRigRob....if that's your attidude to help others than stay out of my threads.

Thanks Jazz.

WHAT??, I asked a simple question, thanked people for their answers. If that's a problem for ya, you know where you can stick your thread. I'll learn from others without attitudes. Hasta la vista

sin-seed

I am currently vegging under HPS...

I am currently vegging under HPS...

Just until they get a little bigger, then 12/12 it is. I was, and still am, vegging under a T5 system, but once they get over a foot or so they don't penetrate so deep. I put these under what are my flowering lights, but since I am just getting set back up, I had nothing in 12/12 I figured I'd veg under the 1k's for a couple weeks to get a better yield. I will run perpetual after this, just flower at around a foot tall I guess.

picture.php

These ladies are loving the HPS for veg though, no complaints here!

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
WHAT??, I asked a simple question, thanked people for their answers. If that's a problem for ya, you know where you can stick your thread. I'll learn from others without attitudes. Hasta la vista

Dude you gotta relax man

I had to read your post twice to understand you were asking a ??.

To answer your question, no you do not have to, depends on what you are trying to do

I currently have 600 w of HPS running along side 400 W of mh, I have done grows complete with MH, CFL, HPS. Of course had varying results.

What I tell noobs is grow with what you got, get some experience with a few runs, and see how you make out then, no sense dumping large amounts of money on equipment, nutes, seeds, etc to make a bunch of mistakes.

Dude you gotta relax man

I had to read your post twice to understand you were asking a ??.

To answer your question, no you do not have to, depends on what you are trying to do

I currently have 600 w of HPS running along side 400 W of mh, I have done grows complete with MH, CFL, HPS. Of course had varying results.

What I tell noobs is grow with what you got, get some experience with a few runs, and see how you make out then, no sense dumping large amounts of money on equipment, nutes, seeds, etc to make a bunch of mistakes.

I did exactly the opposite... dumped a bunch of money in, and it all went horribly wrong. But I'm a better man for it today.
I've never used a MH bulb.... but it doesn't mean you won't get better node spacing I'd like to use both, but at a 100 bucks per bulb it can slow dow your expermentation. I veg under T-5's and then move them out under HPS 1k's. Just make sure you start the light a bit of a distance away.... as the 1k's throw way more light and the plants tissues need time to adjust, or you can damage them beyond repair. Lower them (lights) a bit each day and you should be fine.

THC123

Veteran
They will grow fastes with hps.

If u don't want ur plants to stretch--> put the lamp closer to the plants :D