What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Another stadium grow...

Well, I was inspired by Northern Farmer, and was diappointed by my flat grows. I felt that there was a better way to use the space. So between those two things it pushed me intot he stadium. Since i had most of things to make it happen I just invested a little more money and some planning. I started getting ready in the middle of my last grow. I decided to stay legal with less than a 100 plants which still almost trippled my numbers from the flat grow.
Using smaller numbers in this set up means you can go a bit bigger in some aspects, such as 3 gallon bags.
My room is 11x11x8 and built my trellis frame to accomodate 6 shelves on each side that hold about nine plants each.
This is my first stadium so I am learning all over again.
I used Fox Farms Happy Frog and Ocean Forest on part of it. 3 bags of OF to 1 HF.
And on the other side I'm using Black Gold with ammendments, hand mixed and set.
I only have a hundred plants, and the soil work is tremendous, if you don't like soil, hard work, and lots of mixing, just buy a soil that comes with a high recommendation and go for it. I just had to see if the ammendments really work. If they don't do any better than the Fox Farms line, I won't do it again.
I have three strains... Purple kush, with a few Purple nepals thrown in.
Silver Haze. And a what i like to call brand X.
I've got 3 1k bare bulbs hanging. One 10inch Can fan Max on the exhaust.
An 8inch Can Fan HO on the intake. Temps vary between 72 and 82.

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
yeeeeaaaaa!!!
I'm pretty excited about this one.
I've been waiting for another good (and large) stadium grow since NF had to take off.
You're going to have some nice overlap with those 3 1k's in the 11' length. Not that its needed at all, but if you wanted to go craaazy, then you could put in a light mover to hag all three from to move them parallel to the length of the room. Maybe thinking a little too creatively since im feelin a lifted :rasta: at the moment and am getting way excited for pics.

I like your idea of trying out your two choices of media in the exact same environment. Seems like a sure fire way to get ever closer to that perfect soil mix without the non-functioning extra ingredients that you don't need.

Anyway, I'm obviously hoping for a well updated and bountifully illustrated grow journal. let's see some action!
k+ on going for this

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wsup DB

Thats alot of work for soil. You hand watering?
Sounds good. Flicks?

Ask and you shall recieve.
Hand watering makes me stay in touch with my plants. i don't even use a wand. I pour by hand each time.
I also forgot to mention that one side used General Hydroponics Nutes.
And the other is the Bio Bizz line.
not really fair because I have all the silver haze on one side and Brand X on the other, I may add a couple Brand X's to the Silver side but we'll see.
But there are purple kush divided evenly on both sides.

Last edited:

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree on the hand watering. But i do like the wand.
Gives me a reason to be in the room longer.
I think NF mixed MH and HPS bulbs in his grow, right? What u workin wit?

Last edited:

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
yea, that would definitely be cool, if they were clones, to put 1 of each of the two different strains into both soil mixes so we and you could see which mix was better, and if the two strains have different 'opinions' on the soil mixes as far as whether they like the mixes or not.

I find that hand watering can be a mind-quieting activity. Though it is laborious, I believe there is some mental, even if no physical, relaxation it can help bring about.

I've got to do some pruning... but you get the idea.
it looks pretty short in the pics, but its about 8 feet long +.
The plants on the left are tall... to tal for a stadium... but its the way its gonna be. i put some bush master in there to slow them down... but it doesn't seem to have worked.
I'll learn what the right height is.
I'm about 10 days into flower. 12/12.
bulbs are 3 1k hortilux hps. No MH. but I would consider doing one next time.
I know this is not a simple setup... at least its not simple to maintain.
I'm kinda against moving parts... so that leaves me against light movers, although I think they can be great for some. With my luck the damn thing will fall and burn the building down.

Last edited:
Sorry was gone during the weekend... will post some more pics soon. Just did some pruning (a little late), lollipopping. on the right side the Silver haze is outta control... super tall and all over the place. For sure must have some Sativa in it. The Purples are short and bushy and it prolly helps that I bushmastered some. I though it would stop those SH from stretching so much... but to no avail. Did a little watering and will be takin clones from the flowered plants tomorrow. I think I'll take about 150 -250 and then pick the best of the bunch. Also will be buying some seeds soon.
Right now I've got 5 or so different strains, but none are yield strains and I'd like to use a few of those in the stadium setup to see how they'll go.
I'd definitely recommend you be prepared for a lot of busy work if you do a stadium. make sure you can water just before the lights come on... its a m'fer trying to work around bare bulbs.
As for build pics I don't have any ( thats a great idea though.. next time maybe?). I began thinking of how I was going to do this thing a while ago, and stole some ideas from the guys on a few different sites. Then sat down and worked it out. I'll try to get some detail shots in.

I can post the dimensions of what i did if you like though?
Just let me know.

Last edited:
A couple things i didn't know.

The lights will burn the crap outta you... you might want to water just before the lights come on or devise a system to raise and lower the lights so you can work with good space.
Don't know if I said this already... stadiums are a lot of work, be prepared.
Lower plants (on the floor) use a bit less water, middle pants use more, and top plants are between the two.
You need a big fan to run open bulb setups... don't take that for granted. I'll probably use vented cool tubes during the summer, or go back to a flat grow with vented lights. Heat control is huge, and can be an issue with out proper planning.
hope you had a happt T-Day. Peace.

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
I found it was easier to cool bare bulbs then it was horizontal.

I used the same fan with 6 - 600's in august heat... but my climate is pretty moderate.

:respect:

2stoge

Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your grow, I been fiendin' to see some stadium grows since I saw NF's stadium. Yeah bro, be careful around those bulbs and stay safe.

Looking for DIY tutorial to build cool tubes for the stadium. (All ready planning for summer months).
If you have any linkd please postem here... no matter if you think I've seen them or not. thanks. Will get more pics tonight.

NFR

Is your stadium 11' long by 11' wide? Square?

This should be interesting to see how it finishes. To be honest all the designs I've seen people try wider than 8 feet have had plants that were really reaching and finished fluffy.

To be completely honest, after doing stadiums for 15 years I'm starting to buy into the concept that the room is meaningless but the shelves spacing and distence from the light is the biggest factor. The rest can be worked out to fit the siutation.