What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nepalese and North Indian

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
ngakpa said:
Hey Thule - are those the Kullu Jungli I sent you or different ones?

Yep, they are the very same ones. The first one went to flower and the rest will follow soon. Their leaves are soft like velvet and lush green.

L

levant

Yay Kullu Jungli!!!
I will be sprouting these next season,
ngakpa is it a wild line?

ngakpa

Veteran
well it is definitely what people there would call jungli (wild) --- it grows around Chandrakani Pass and Naggar in Kullu... it's a big debate really as to how much the hand of man has been involved in creating such vars. and to what extent nature makes this kind of C. indica the way it is

great to see them going :)

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
ngakpa said:
well it is definitely what people there would call jungli (wild) --- it grows around Chandrakani Pass and Naggar in Kullu... it's a big debate really as to how much the hand of man has been involved in creating such vars. and to what extent nature makes this kind of C. indica the way it is

great to see them going :)

Hillig suggested that these might actually be the living ancestors of all cannabis indica strains today and therefore not escaped cultivars. If I remember correctly he based this theory on the unique cannabinoid profiles of these strains, not so much the appearance. Thanks for the link by the way, I remember bumping into it in OG back in the days. Very fascinating.

I'm now under the impression that these jungli strains have grown there way before man even arrived. They offer different phenotypes that could very well have given rise to the different cultivars we see in the near by areas today. Some with wider leaves which seems to be the trend northwards and some with thinner leaves. If the wide leaf phenotypes are a result of hybridization from imported genetics one would think they'd eventually revert back to the thin leaf expression and in nature these things happen fast. Take an afghan indica to Scandinavia and after 5 years you might mistake it for a sativa.

You see where I'm getting? To me these traits seem the way nature intended. Surely there has been cross pollinations from cultivated strains, but these strains are genetically very close to the wild variants and any traits selected by man would probably become obsolete in a few generations.

What kind of jungli variants have you come across and do they mirror the local climates in your opinion? It would be nice to hear your take on the issue.

ngakpa

Veteran
Hey -

Hillig suggested that these might actually be the living ancestors of all cannabis indica strains today and therefore not escaped cultivars. If I remember correctly he based this theory on the unique cannabinoid profiles of these strains, not so much the appearance. Thanks for the link by the way, I remember bumping into it in OG back in the days. Very fascinating.

Yeah, I think that is in part what I also understood the conclusion of his paper to mean - though crucially what I didn't quite get was what and where the oldest Cannabis indica genpool was - where is it centred etc.? It's not clear to me that he does necessarily mean jungli in places like Nepal and Himachal..

I'm now under the impression that these jungli strains have grown there way before man even arrived. They offer different phenotypes that could very well have given rise to the different cultivars we see in the near by areas today. Some with wider leaves which seems to be the trend northwards and some with thinner leaves. If the wide leaf phenotypes are a result of hybridization from imported genetics one would think they'd eventually revert back to the thin leaf expression and in nature these things happen fast. Take an afghan indica to Scandinavia and after 5 years you might mistake it for a sativa.

yeah, I don't think the more WideLD and MediumLD cultivated strains in places like Kullu and Parvati reflect contamination --- as you say, it is a more northern area, plus it gets less monsoon rain than places like Kumaon and Nepal, which are closer to the tropics

I also agree that C. indica adapts fast, a lot like dogs/wolves ---

But I think that nowadays there is a back and forth influence between the jungli in these places and the cultivated plants --- it's a continuum, not a clear cut divide

like you say, I think the cultivated plants in an area will always reflect the environment of the area --- that is always the case

but there is always a back and forth --- junlgi pollinating cultivars and vice versa

You see where I'm getting? To me these traits seem the way nature intended. Surely there has been cross pollinations from cultivated strains, but these strains are genetically very close to the wild variants and any traits selected by man would probably become obsolete in a few generations.

It's hard for me to say, as I have never smoked junlgi which has not been from an area which was either currently being cultivated or had a history of being cultivated --- for sure the jungli strains were different, generally smaller seeds and different profile --- but it is hard to say whether the flavours etc. were partly a product of the environment or history or what? .... I would not want to smoke jungli from places like the Punjab or Uttar Pradesh though... feral lowland "sativas" would not be a pleasant smoke I don't think

What kind of jungli variants have you come across and do they mirror the local climates in your opinion? It would be nice to hear your take on the issue.

Himachal, Kumaon and Nepali --- increasingly tropical style in that order... best Nepali jungli had thin leaves, irregular branching.... Kumaon was also very loose flowered, spindly and big internodes --- great aromas on all of them... Herbal Citrus in Himachal, Mango Carrot in Kumaon, variety of citurs, carrot and toffee jungli in Nepal

Last edited:

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
hello everyone, this thread is very good and nice :joint: thank you all :)

wouldn't nepali strains do real well in the tropical andes? :chin:

once i ordered nepali seeds from a certain place, a few years ago, but got something else instead of the nepali once the seeds got here, that was a huge dissapointment for sure. perhaps to make it up i will have to go to Nepal myself and see what do i stumble upon

be good everyone

paz y salud :)

Last edited:

headees

I visited Kathmandu a couple years ago. There was tons of black hash to be found in the city, seemed everybody had it, and it was shit. I bought a little and ended up giving it away.
I took a Trek into some of the surrounding mountains and villages, and there were these huge 12-14 sativas that were just grew wild on the side of the trail. They had very loose spear shaped buds on them that were covered in trichs, and smelled like tropical fruit. I ripped off a fresh bud and smoked it the next day, and was really surprised how good it was, even that fresh, tasted just like it smelled. While walking through one of the small mountain villages, an older man approached me and asked if I had a lighter, I obliged, he then proceeds to pull out this baseball size ball of this brown sugar textured/colored kiff. I had a translator/guide with me and told him to ask the old man where he got it. The man showed me a patch of cut stalks right by his house, and said he had made it himself. Apparently I had just missed harvest time, which explains the flood of hash that was in town. Anyway the guy offered to sell me the whole ball(at least a couple oz's) for like 25 bucks. I was leaving in two days, and I wasnt about to attempt to take it with me, so I gave him 1 dollar and he cut me off a sliver. The effect was totally cerebral, very psychedelic, and happy. When inhaling a nice hit you would get this sensation like a wave of electricity flowed through your head, lol, heady stuff indeed.
It wasnt as good as the black hash I got in Bombay from Afghanistan though. I ate probably a half a gram before I got to the airport for my flight home thinking it wouldnt be a big deal, big mistake. Within an hour I could hardly walk, and my eyes felt like they were popping out of my skull. Filling out my departure card at customs took me like 15 minutes.

E

elmanito

Ni Hau everyone, nice thread about the Nepali strains and also surprised to find a hybrid with Viking.Viking, a purple Afghan from the Positronics clone-library.I'm working with for a while and loves this strain, but this thread is about the Nepali.

Here is a photo of hybrid from a few years earlier, early sativa, extremely resinous, started to flower begin of July till end of October.

This hybrid contains Colombian, Mexican, Thai, Nepali, North-Indian, Ruderalis (Red Dawn, strain of the Kirov region Russia) genetics

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
FWIW...I haven't seen Nepal Kush, by Flying Dutchman, mentioned. It looks like a winner. I have two and at day 33 they are blossoming like freaks and have outgrown the other humble plants in my small garden (a drag because all the plants are on one 2X3 DWC tray and the Nepal Kush have turned it into a JoG (Jungle of Green). Verdent anarchy with extensive, dense budding. Absolute amazons. I had thought it was an indica but due to its unruliness I would say it's definitely heavy sativa influence.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
12 Nepalryder f2s, 0 autoflowers. Bad bad luck.

Some freshly transplanted junglis

And here I have one jungli, two rooibaards and some cts hybrids

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's the one! :wink: Check out his latest page. He's manning a vaporizer booth @ the HT Cannabis Cup, some great pics! :yes:

Here's my Purple Peace I had this year. I touched up a branch w/ Nepjam pollen. :wink:

Last edited:

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
rasjano, this plant came from f2's (f12's/? :biglaugh: ) from another grower.
I lost my originals yrs back, but this one was a real good replica! :D

E

elmanito

Has anyone else seeds of Purple Peace.GA only got a few left.

Namaste :canabis:

El Manito

M

moses224

That purple peace looks so unique. Wish I was lucky enough to have some. Id love to throw it in back under 1000 with other sativas and let it go for months. Pretty Work