What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anything Outdoor 2018

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I got a lil pollen on the Dosidos and the Cristal Limit. I'd like to get 5-10 of each to play with next yr. Again guys be safe in this late Aug heat. My male exploded all he had in that Baggie and pretty much wilted up. I can't believe that plant stayed alive after I pulled it outta the ground. I've kept him in a bowl of water, I put down in a weed sprayed box lol. Well enough playing around....I'll probably spray my plants with fungicide Thurs or Fri and hope that gets my early strains through.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That Davesgarden website is cool! I was wondering what good gardening websites there were recently! Old Farmers Almanac! They have the forecast information up online, that's great!

Garden looks like its coming along well. Plants are building flowers pretty well. Managed to find a little sun out there! Nice view of the mountains! Got some pollen to make seed! Awesome, can't wait to see what turns up! :smoke:

It has been hot! I'm going to be working hard out there tomorrow. Need to hydrate tonight. Don't stop drinking water when its like this!

Whats the bayer 3 in 1 fungicide? Is it very safe? You do need mold resistance! Get some sativa hybrids its your only hope! How about my sativa candy spice. Gonna get a care pack out to seedbay soon.

I used to use Serrinade brand biofungicide which is safe on fruits and vegetables, but I never used it on flowers. I wouldn't recommend treating the flowers with anything. Just inspect for mold, and cut it out when you see it. Once it gets to be a certain point, you just harvest the plant. That's how I like to do it. Takes a good amount of time though.

Flowers that mold are usually ripe enough to smoke about the 2nd or 3rd week of sept. Its best to let them go until Late september if possible.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
That Davesgarden website is cool! I was wondering what good gardening websites there were recently! Old Farmers Almanac! They have the forecast information up online, that's great!

Garden looks like its coming along well. Plants are building flowers pretty well. Managed to find a little sun out there! Nice view of the mountains! Got some pollen to make seed! Awesome, can't wait to see what turns up! :smoke:

It has been hot! I'm going to be working hard out there tomorrow. Need to hydrate tonight. Don't stop drinking water when its like this!

Whats the bayer 3 in 1 fungicide? Is it very safe? You do need mold resistance! Get some sativa hybrids its your only hope! How about my sativa candy spice. Gonna get a care pack out to seedbay soon.

I used to use Serrinade brand biofungicide which is safe on fruits and vegetables, but I never used it on flowers. I wouldn't recommend treating the flowers with anything. Just inspect for mold, and cut it out when you see it. Once it gets to be a certain point, you just harvest the plant. That's how I like to do it. Takes a good amount of time though.

Flowers that mold are usually ripe enough to smoke about the 2nd or 3rd week of sept. Its best to let them go until Late september if possible.

Yea it seems safe it's flower and rose formula. I've mainly just spray the area around the plant and the bottom were the buds aren't. But really only one plant is kinda getting a lil bud rot and yes I've already been cutting it off. So far it's just small tips. And she's pretty close to harvest probably 3wks. I've got DFG from realgorilla seeds that's doing real good so far.....haven't seen any bud rot and she's probably 3wks from harvest also. I'm already in the process of getting strains in order that's mold resistant for next yr. Glad I don't have many Indy's this yr.....as most my stuff is always sativa hybrids. I know Silverback used to talk about something he used for mold and stuff. I'm sure they don't make it no more. I've also seem older guys talk about the aslrin water thing.

And yes I'm going add a extra couple of lights to the container area today.....hillbilly style lol. I've gotta do some things. I've got the sun blocked in a few areas I'm gonna have to open it up today for them. I was looking yesterday and noticed if I remove some things that's blocking the sun I can greatly increase the sunlight. Hopefully it goes well.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm like Tarzan on some of those those branches. I climbed up a little 5 inch caliper tree and pulled down a branch this spring. I ended up bring the pole pruner and cutting some other branches so I got it cut off. You can pull and branch down and tuck it out of the way if you don't have any way to cut it.

I've heard of asprin in water, I think it triggers the systemic active resistance (SAR). My plants seem to do just fine without the asprin. Don't want any side effects.

Another front coming through tomorrow with a chance of rain. It will be nice to see it cool down! :smoke:

Whats DFG from real gorilla seeds? Thats right buds will be starting to ripen up here in the next couple weeks! :smoke:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Yea I've had to do some large tree removal lol....damn things are getting my angle on the sun. I'm going have to cut down a few more....I've got a large one I had notched that come back the wrong way but luckily it got hung up in another tree. I've got a few strains starting to stack up some. The DFG is damn near ready to harvest if needed. It's some kinda 3-way Durban cross I think, don't hold me to that I'll have to look and see to be certain. But it's really close, I figured by 2-3 WK Sept. Some of my Female seed Critical Sour are getting clise, probably around the same on some of those....with the longer finished by end Sept. I've got some other stuff that gonna be well into Oct if not early Nov. I guess with some many different strains it's gonna be harvest something from mid September all the way until it's frosting or I've harvest everything. I'm definitely gonna benefit from removing these trees. I'm glad I went ahead and done it.

Yea I'm gonna pass on the asprin....I'm not experienced enough with using it and don't really know anyone that is. Alot of guys use powdered milk and lots of stuff battling mold.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Think I might have killed one of my 8-9 foot Northern lights females. All of the females in the plot popped up on one side and all the males on the opposite, go figure. I cleared out 3 males that I didn't like and the 2 that I did were thankfully in the very back and I left them standing to pollinate. All my plants are in thick contractor bags with holes punched in the bottom. I moved the one NL female to the center to give everyone more room and I think I may have shocked her too badly. Gave her plenty of water tonight so we'll just have to wait and see if she perks up.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I almost flattened out a few plants with 150ft poplar lol......damn close call. A guarantee they felt the wind as it fell. I even studied that sun diagram I think you(Tycho) posted. The damn sun is getting shaded since the days have top shorter. The tree tops barely blocked it ....but it's blocking it way to long in one area. I think I've got it now, there's another big tree I need to cut very bad and I should be great for harvest. I just gotta be very careful, cutting large trees is no joke.

That sun diagram was a great tool whoever posted it. It's just a little harder on a hillside to adjust the offset against really tall trees. I thought Tycho posted that I'm not 100 on that....but it's a good go to reference. It helped alot. I'd hate to think without it we're I'd be.

Be careful if in the heat guys!!!!

Hoypare.

Trimming in the rain today,rock solid sticky autos :tiphat:
picture.php

View image in gallery

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Autos and earlies @60N, Finland. Few pix, observe.

My best Saturday Night Fever John Travolta pose, from the back, cause of course. Don't mind me showing a bit of undies, they were clean when the picture was taken. No worries, bro.

Unusually warm and very dry spring/summer this year here in the cold North, had to haul water to the spots a lot! Hard work for that ass, but very sweet compared to summer 2017, which was unusually cold and wet as heck, mang. Still going strong and the weather forecast looks pretty nice for the future, too. That's good, cause #WinterIsComing

If someone is interested, more pix in my galleries here on ICmag. Also labelled, for the most part, if someone is interested in the strains and thing. :)

Wishing everyone a good and plentiful harvest!

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Black bean aphids I believe is what those suckers are called in English. They usually stay away from weeds, but I guess with the dry summer we had this year, they started sucking on everything that was alive and/or available. 1st time I seen em on me buds dude. Ladybirds eat em while ants protect and farm em for the honeydew they secrete. Some mature buds had dead ants and aphids stuck to em, worked like a sticky trap hehe. Anyways, they aren't that bad on strong, healthy plants, but can kill seedlings fast.

therevverend

Veteran
Aphids baby. In the insect photos thread there's some great close up photos of herds of them. They're the cattle of the garden pest world. Ant's ranch them and even milk them...

JustSumTomatoes

Black bean aphids I believe is what those suckers are called in English. They usually stay away from weeds, but I guess with the dry summer we had this year, they started sucking on everything that was alive and/or available. 1st time I seen em on me buds dude. Ladybirds eat em while ants protect and farm em for the honeydew they secrete. Some mature buds had dead ants and aphids stuck to em, worked like a sticky trap hehe. Anyways, they aren't that bad on strong, healthy plants, but can kill seedlings fast.

I've heard of those before but had never seen them. That's cool how a parasite/pest to a plant is being raised as cattle by another insect.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
I've heard of those before but had never seen them. That's cool how a parasite/pest to a plant is being raised as cattle by another insect.

Indeed it is. I spent time watching them do their thing. They stay pretty still sucking them sweet juices from the stems, easy prey for a hungry ladybug and other predators, hence the ants. If a ladybug comes along, the ants hurry up and drive em off. Then as a reward they tap that aphid ass and those whores of nature poop out a clear bubble of tasty honeydew from their backside. The ants seem to eat that stuff on site, so I don't think it's very beneficial for the colony, more like a solitary prize for a job well done. That's a mash-up I could do without, but they are not very high on my shit list. Moose, deer, rabbits do way more damage eating seedlings and young plants, especially auto-flowers.. Something about autos seem to draw greens eating animals like a fat guy at an all you can eat buffet. Carnivores like fox, raccoon dogs, European badgers aren't cool either, especially using organic nutes like chicken manure. Bastards dig holes hoping to find carrion or sumtin. Kill of a lot of seedling/youngins doing so. Last summer I planted one spot 2 times, and both times some cock smoker dug up the plot the night after I got done. 3rd time I fenced up the place, but the dude went over the fence and again killed pretty much everything. 4th time I put up a taller, more sturdy fence, but the fucker went under it. I gave up after that, and was so pissed off that I couldn't sleep for 2 nights :) Went so far that I spent a while ambushing the damn thing near the place, ready to shoot the bastard in the face! Never saw anything moving tho, so no revenge :( I'm usually a mellow guy, with a "the lord giveth, and the lord taketh" kinda view of life. But sometimes the taketh part is super disproportioned with the giveth part. Oh well, can't win em all.

And like that isn't enough, feral pigs crossing the border from Russia are starting grow in numbers. Haven't seen any around my neck of the woods yet, but they are coming, and that's one more bitch I gotsta worry about.

While I'm rambling, and if someone is still reading; number 1 on my shit list are shield bugs, pictured here having buttsechs while their ladies were out of town.
picture.php

These gaylords drill holes in stems, suck on the sap and while doing so, also poop right where they eat. This opens up a highway for moulds and viruses. Even with a worry free, healthy plant this can lead to a total loss, as it in some cases infects the plant with a disease that will start moulding the buds inside out. I've tried pretty much everything I can think of, and what other ppl said could work, but always lost the battle. This is why in the summer of 2011 I declared a Jihad on these dudes, mang. No tree hugger catch n release and/or relocate program here. It's kill on sight and make sure I burn every egg they lay, too. They are a bitch to deal with even when killing em, as their main defence is spraying smelly stuff around when threatened. Also the smell works as a pheromone, attracting more shield bugs to the spot. Collecting em gently seems to work, then kill em with fire cause they try to run away from the heat, and even they understand that the smelly substance doesn't work against fire.. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand again, like those green bastards alone aren't enough to piss me off, certain ants seem to enjoy whatever sap/poop/stuff shield bugs leave behind and come feast on that shit. This I find very strange, cause I've yet to find any scientific stuff or study about it. Then again, weed hasn't been that high on any study list like that, what with the illegality and thing. But I got pix, and it did happen.. Anyone know a smart guy making a thesis about this, let me know, I'll help. With credit of joint research of course, no pun intended :)

picture.php

I like nature, 98% live and let live.. But the 2% of me is thinking stuff like bring me gas, bring me napalm.. Kill em all! BUUUURRRN!

Phew! Speaking of mash ups, and not to end on a negative note, here's a good one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ZjDjmOM-g

BigBadTee out! :tiphat:

JustSumTomatoes

Very interesting observations and great photographs BadTicket. I wonder if you could create some sort of trap for the sheildbugs using their own pheromones against them kind of like those Japanese beetle traps do. Maybe work on pest resistant strains? Maybe machine gun turrets and minefields?

H

HaHaHashish

Badticket - Stink bugs around here are kept away when the plants are sprayed with a solution of soap and water around the time they first appear and then every week or less for a month or so. Finely shave off a few centimeters from a cake of soap and shake this in a container filled with water until it becomes cloudy, strain out the bits of soap that didn't dissolve then spray it on your plants.

I've tried neem, garlic/chilli and other sprays on stink bugs, none worked...I've even grabbed them and squashed them on the stem of the plants, but they came back, only a spray with soap and water has worked for me. You will need to spray again after a short heavy rain or a long period of light rain.

Since the stink bugs around here tend to only appear in late veg ~ mid flowering, like almost all insects, they have their time, then they are gone, but as you noticed, they can cause mold to happen later when the buds thicken up (I used to lose 30% to die off or mold due to stink bugs) and I also had whole branches die off while the rest of the branch looks healthy (some type of virus?) where stink buds had been. If I don't spray they usually try to establish themselves on long flowering sativas while other faster flowering wide leaf varieties close by aren't touched by them
I also find that the soap spray seems to help with keeping caterpillars from appearing, though this might be just a quiet year for caterpillars?

Prevention, as I'm sure has been mentioned numerous times in this thread, is where it's at for outdoor growing. Every year, around the same time, you will be attacked by the same type of insect, this might only be for a week or two so it's important to use preventative spraying in the week before they are due to attack your garden..do this and you will spray less and be more effective. In the case of butterflies laying eggs, this might mean the use of netting or caterpillar specific sprays just for 3 or 4 weeks.

Happy growing!

Last edited:
H

HaHaHashish

Ledo Una and Nep Jam

I hate the sideways photos. I keep resizing lower and lower, but same results. Sorry.

Leda Uno was one of the first Dutchies I grew...it had a really nice "feel good" high. That was 15 years ago and I still remember it. I remember all the outstanding highs I've had over the past 50 years of smoking.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Very interesting observations and great photographs BadTicket. I wonder if you could create some sort of trap for the sheildbugs using their own pheromones against them kind of like those Japanese beetle traps do. Maybe work on pest resistant strains? Maybe machine gun turrets and minefields?

Thanks m8. I've been thinking about how to get rid of em, or redirect em elsewhere, but so far nothing has worked. Like I posted previously, their smell should attract other of their kind. We've tried smellying em up away from the spots, but it's nature, so there are plenty of those guys around.. Can never get em all, and you only need one to cause trouble, so it's not a fool proof thing anyways.

As for pest resistant strains, I'm not an expert on that. In fact, I wouldn't even know where to begin. We've worked for years towards mould resistant, fast strains with uniform finishing times, I guess that counts towards pest resistance, too. This far north where the weather goes from one extreme to the other really fast, and even the best season is pretty short those are the main things. Bigger animals you can always (try to) fence away, or scare them with cat piss or human pee, hair, sounds, old Milli Vanilli CD's hanging from trees near the spots to reflect sunlight.. Simple stuff, works on and off. Animals do get used to most things like this. But those damned bugs.. Need to read more about the subject and think about it.

I wish the solution would be so simple that machine gun turrets and minefields would do.. :D I'm fresh outta mines, but I was in the army. And I know a guy who knows a guy who can get some stuff for DIY explosives........... But then that would just be too easy, AND FUN!

@HaHaHashish - Thanks for the input. I've tried to soap spray with shield/stink bugs, but there always seem to be some. Like you said, rain will remove the effect pretty fast and it does rain here in Finland pretty regularly and often during summer months, even more come fall time. This summer was dry, but it's 1 in 20 or something, so the odds heavily stacked against a dry summer most years. Also, guerilla growing in the bush, some spots are hard to reach on purpose.. Not to sound lazy, which I am :) But making weekly soap spray runs on top of everything else, well that's more work for that lazy ass. With my luck, after I get done soaping the plants, get home and take a shower, it will most likely start raining and I'll have to do it all over again tomorrow :)

Didn't see too many stink bugs this year, maybe they were suffering from the dry and hot conditions, too. Hoping this will carry on towards next year. Less adults should mean less offspring.. Hope so.

What kind of soap are you using for the spray?

Agreed with neem and garlic/chili spray against stinkies, they didn't seem to be bothered by em at all.. Tho neem does work on mites and thing, so it's not totally useless. Mites aren't usually a problem here outdoors, natural predators and the weather keeps em in check really well. Someone said to spray olive oil diluted with water on stink bugs and that it should drive em away, but that didn't work at all :) Neither did nicotine-water, the bugs didn't seem to enjoy that stuff, it wasn't enough to keep em away for good..

Happy growing to you too, good sir :tiphat: