What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best malawi

bestothebest

Ok guys here’s my predicament. I’m ordering a pack of zamaldelica from ace. However I also wasn’t to make my own selections on a Malawi strain. Could you let me know the best source for some kick ass Malawi? I’m going to breed two lines, one selected for indoor growing, and a torture tested early finishing line for outdoor at 42 degrees in the northeast that is still killer potent.

I’m considering ace Malawi (of course) and seeds of Africa Malawi.

What do you guys recommend?
Let me know

troutman

Seed Whore
Without a light deprivation setup I think a pure Malawi will never mature on time where you are outside.

They just take too long. :tiphat:

rolandomota

Malawi killer x auto Malawi northern lights f4 fem will give non auto plants that can possibly finish in time. Or Malawi pck x auto Malawi nl f4fem? Crossed to malawi or Malawi x pck males of course

thejact55

I put some senegal outside this last summer, with no high hopes. Im 48N. They didnt start flowering till late in setpember. Days are long, theyre looking for alot of darkness to flower.
I did the ace malawi just recently. Super frosty. I think they would yeild well, i just grew em for seeds. Smell was minimal to none though.

Easy7

Veteran
That's the bummer about makawi. I'm slightly south of 42. It's about two to three weeks after the weather turns to poop. Narrow leaf can't handle the cold even though wider leaf is done they hold up later.

Maybe cross malawi with any number of earlier finishing breeds? Mawai freezeland could finish earlier. Thing is freezeland doesn't like 18h veg light cycles so that makes i door keepers harder to work (no experience myself).

Maybe a malawi cross with

Some bodhi females. Could even backcross with early finishing phenos?

I wish skunkman released some durban seeds he talked about online that finished in sept in netherlands.

I can think of lot's of skunkman classics that would go great with malawi.

dufous

I finished Ace Malawi feminized version the end of October 2017 at 43 N coastal Massachusetts. It was a record warm autumn.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Ok guys here’s my predicament. I’m ordering a pack of zamaldelica from ace. However I also wasn’t to make my own selections on a Malawi strain. Could you let me know the best source for some kick ass Malawi? I’m going to breed two lines, one selected for indoor growing, and a torture tested early finishing line for outdoor at 42 degrees in the northeast that is still killer potent.

I’m considering ace Malawi (of course) and seeds of Africa Malawi.

What do you guys recommend?
Let me know

Take the Malawi and cross it with Deep Chunk, or a variety like Deep Chunk. Pop enough seeds and you'll find a plant your looking for. If you do end up doing it. I would use as many males and females of both varieties as you can. For maximum F1 expressions. But that's just me.

You may wanna use your fastest finishing female , and a fast male. Then hopefully that swings the odds even more in your favor, of finding that plant your after.

I'm on the same mission as you right now, same lat as well. Trying to make seeds that grow big and fast like an NLD, but also finish fast before the hard frost like your typical WLD type plant. All while being potent, smelly, good tasting herb.

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My climate sounds like Easy7's
Bulk 3 packs of Ace and select from big numbers of small plants outdooors in your micro climate. Only the strong survive and all that. If nothing comes of it you should be putting a few broad leafs in the group to to get an out cross that can be explored along with the Early Malawi quest. backcross the earliest F2s from the broad leaf hybrids to the earliest Malawi and see what happens... So many ways to go here.

Buzzed ramblings from a guy on the internet who reads a little.:tiphat:

Malawi(ACE) x PTK
picture.php

picture.php

That plant favored the PTK as most of the others I've run did. I've also found the Sativa flowers unlike either parent in them.

Easy7

Veteran
If Canada follows thru with legal bud, they may be the first to breed early flowering sativas on a massive scale. Haven't heard many details of how they have their law.

I suspect there is going to be some more beans with all that.

W

Water-

That's the bummer about makawi. I'm slightly south of 42. It's about two to three weeks after the weather turns to poop. Narrow leaf can't handle the cold even though wider leaf is done they hold up later.

Maybe cross malawi with any number of earlier finishing breeds? Mawai freezeland could finish earlier. Thing is freezeland doesn't like 18h veg light cycles so that makes i door keepers harder to work (no experience myself).

Maybe a malawi cross with

Some bodhi females. Could even backcross with early finishing phenos?

I wish skunkman released some durban seeds he talked about online that finished in sept in netherlands.

I can think of lot's of skunkman classics that would go great with malawi.

The Durban that finishes in September you can get from Dutch Passion. gotta pheno hunt for lemon/anise smelling ones

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
If Canada follows thru with legal bud, they may be the first to breed early flowering sativas on a massive scale. Haven't heard many details of how they have their law.

I suspect there is going to be some more beans with all that.

They may do that. My guess is they will run climate controlled greenhouses, and be able to flower any given plant for as long as it needs. Not saying they won't try and breed fast finishers, cause that just means more harvest's per year.

Spaventa

Veteran
To add to your dilemma, your options will soon include two new Malawi crosses from Ace. Im testing some of them now. One is the new killer Malawi clone crossed with the A5 clone, the other is with an old Nevilles Haze.

troutman

Seed Whore
Anyone here ever get a Malawi plant with a cinnamon aroma when rubbed?

I had 2 last Summer. :)

Can't wait to test the seeds I made.

bestothebest

Ok so it looks like aces finishes in October. I actually grow in a swamp area, and it can remain unfrosted and will usually into November. My plan is to go with a few packs of aces Malawi and one of the ones from Seeds of Africa just to trial them, or the Malawi breeders pack from ace and a seeds of Africa pack. Whichever one’s finish finish, and those that don’t get cut early. Then, the next generation is acclimated. And my goal is successful.

thejact55

Its a 12-16 week or so flowerer indoors. I know that it doesnt exactly translate to that outdoors, but i have a hard time believing that itll finish in october. Ace is pretty honest in their descriptions, but i feel this one is off. Maybe at like 20* or so, but days are just to long at the 40+ latitudes to tricker flowering super early to enable it to finish in october.
I say try, but my money is itll just get going on flowering in late september.

Im super interested, itll be cool if you find a plant and select for it later than can. Good luck. Itll be interesting how the seeds of Africa stack against aces thc bomb of a plant.

djimb

Veteran
The most I've seen about the soa malawi was from a member called idiit here. This is his comparison of both varieties:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=349907

It sounds like it finishes about a month later than ace's, but it might be a good addition to the genepool in an open pollination. If you get the breeders pack from ace and select early plants for a couple generations, I bet you'd get some that finish when you need them to. If you dig into some of the malawi threads in the ace forum you'll see smaller, faster, wider leaved plants are common enough to be able to select out of a large population.

Hope you document this project. I'd love to follow along.

I wood

Ok so it looks like aces finishes in October. I actually grow in a swamp area, and it can remain unfrosted and will usually into November. My plan is to go with a few packs of aces Malawi and one of the ones from Seeds of Africa just to trial them, or the Malawi breeders pack from ace and a seeds of Africa pack. Whichever one’s finish finish, and those that don’t get cut early. Then, the next generation is acclimated. And my goal is successful.

Growing Malawi or any Malawi crosses in a swamp it would be wise to be on top of your ipm game, powdery mildew specifically.
I have yet to finish one without some pm issues.
A weekly potassium silicate spray and close eye will allow them to finish in my experience.
Malawi gold from Bodhi, about a dozen self made crosses with that, and every Malawi cross I’ve tried from ace all had same issues.
Not horrible compared to some other things I’ve grown but be on the lookout.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Top: Green Hornet's Malawi Gold.

Second: Dr Greenthumb's Malawi Gold.

Third: Afropips and African Seed's Malawi.

Other options: Malberry's Malawi and Mulanje and so on.

Alternatives: Other South Africans as Zambian Copper, Swazi and so on.

Peace.

Latest posts

Latest posts