What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Abandoned Places: North Brother Island

Green Squall

I've always been fascinated with abandoned places and recently heard of North Brother Island. What I found odd is that it's smack dab in New York City's East River! Why not clean is up and commercialize it? Or even turn it into a park? With the property values in NYC, it baffles me that this land is sitting there unused.

Here's a link with lots of great pics and history of the island.

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/york-city-owns-creepy-island-040000201.html

St. Phatty

Sort of by default, the way NYC is playing it, those islands are part of Riker's.

Heck, I'll clean one of those islands up.

Just give me 1% ownership and some live AC for some grow-lights.

It's wierd they don't use it as a park. So people can wave to their buddies at Riker's. Wave to the guards at least. Then the guards can give them the finger back and the NYC vibe is alive and well.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
It's not unused, it's used as a bird sanctuary.
I think that seems more than fair, given the size of NYC :)

But cool spot! Would be a awesome place, to camp with some good weed and "watch the birds" :D

geneva_sativa

Governors Island is just downstream from there, haven't been there since handed over to the Parks Dept. . . but well worth a visit... think they have concerts there now. . . Walt Disney was held prisoner there IIRC

Also upstream, you got Bannermans Island, which I think you can visit

Green Squall

It's not unused, it's used as a bird sanctuary.
I think that seems more than fair, given the size of NYC :)

But cool spot! Would be a awesome place, to camp with some good weed and "watch the birds" :D

I'm all for bird sanctuaries. I just think they should clean the place up, tear down the dilapidated structures, etc. A good example of what can be done is the Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area. You can both protect the land and let people enjoy it at the same time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Harbor_Islands_National_Recreation_Area#Management

The State should get the Rikers inmates to help with the clean up. Fresh air and sun definitely beats sitting in a cell all day.

~star~crash~

I'm all for bird sanctuaries. I just think they should clean the place up, tear down the dilapidated structures, etc. A good example of what can be done is the Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area. You can both protect the land and let people enjoy it at the same time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Harbor_Islands_National_Recreation_Area#Management

The State should get the Rikers inmates to help with the clean up. Fresh air and sun definitely beats sitting in a cell all day.

obviously U don't know New York State :biggrin:

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
There used to be an abandoned Navy base here. Huge Cold War era bomb shelter, barracks,ammunition storage bunkers etc. Locals had pretty much free reign on the property for a long time. Most of the larger buildings were torn down in the 90s and the majority of what remained has since eroded into the ocean.