What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phylos Galaxy - Landrace discussion

Lyfespan

omg the new live posts are so fucking funny from these bitches. had some female appeal to the audience that they aren't stealing genetics lol, shit is hitting the fan and phylos has now hopped on its unicycle, i can hear the circus music starting

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
The whole concept of professional vs amateur is based in formalities of questionable value and dubious origin which only apply in legal commerce.

Not really. I'm talking about advanced breeding technologies. It's about numbers, facilities, funding, available technologies etc. Professional breederds have access to genotype mapping and can single out plants that carry a certain gene for example, never having to actually wait if the gene is expressed or not. Chromosomal technologies, seed and clone repositories, the possibility to maintain hundreds of plants at a time, extensive progeny testing.. just things that pop into mind when comparing professional breeding to amateurs. Advanced breeding techniques have been applied to pretty much every other crop out there, corn, wheat, rice, strawberry, cherry.. you name it.

All that hasn't been done much with cannabis because of the illegal status. It's all changing now whether we're ready or not.

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
Phylos+GW+Biotech+Genefinder+B ayer+Monsanto+BSAF = Cannbis Ebola

Phylos+GW+Biotech+Genefinder+B ayer+Monsanto+BSAF = Cannbis Ebola

Meanwhile, some people are still waiting to know their samples results since more than a year has passed :laughing:

cheers

More like 5 years ,,,,,, I got manipulated to Big Time ..... They stole our exp time strains to build maps , so they could show up out of know where and breed , I WAS TOLD TO MY FACE IN PERSON BY ROB CLARKE THEY ARE NOT BREEDING NOR GONING START A SEED COMPANY ,Were we both lied too??? ?? They needed old strains to figure out origins of cannabis and start the Galaxy
That was in April / March 2014 ..... same in 2016 when they asked for more , here I am 5 years later out of over 10 submissions only 3 tested ,
on phylos since galaxy has been put up those individual lists have changed big time , I took screen shots .. David watsons results on same strain vary over years ..... there not stealing from dead plant material or old unviable seed , "I Don't Think" ? , But live plant submission of any type has high possibility to be tissue cultured ...

so people never involved with cannabis in last 5 years who don't even smoke cannabis ,never paid there dues , never took risks , never had anything to contribute on there own , can show up collect genetics under a guise and start seed co .. and thats ok ... must be.. cause noting will get done , to steal the lively hood from those who made it possible in first place ????? I'm confused ,

PDX Dopesmoker

Not really. I'm talking about advanced breeding technologies. It's about numbers, facilities, funding, available technologies etc. Professional breederds have access to genotype mapping and can single out plants that carry a certain gene for example, never having to actually wait if the gene is expressed or not. Chromosomal technologies, seed and clone repositories, the possibility to maintain hundreds of plants at a time, extensive progeny testing.. just things that pop into mind when comparing professional breeding to amateurs. Advanced breeding techniques have been applied to pretty much every other crop out there, corn, wheat, rice, strawberry, cherry.. you name it.

All that hasn't been done much with cannabis because of the illegal status. It's all changing now whether we're ready or not.

Exactly, in the world of legal commerce and faker can buy their way in with enough money. Thats why I made the distinction to begin with.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
I dunno,,, but that amateur Colombian, Thai, Mex, etc, from back in the day, was pretty damn good enough for me

you are right. breeding is about passion and love, simply caring..
this is real breeding:
<<...To me strains of plants are a bit like land, So I’ll use the analogy of MPOV on land. You can hold land, you can work it, your family can hold it in its control for many generations but you never really own it. So I feel while you have the land in your care, that is what you should do, care for it! So future generation can have the pleasure of it in the future. If you are a good person you will leave it in better condition than you found it in.

professional breeding is bullshit also known as marketing hype :D why to call something "amateur breeding" ? cant you name it just pollen chucking? like we all do? breeding doesnt need modern western science at all.. its useless. by growing it and smoking it I will get better knowledge of it than any "professional" using chromosome analysis LOL

White Beard

you are right. breeding is about passion and love, simply caring..
this is real breeding:

professional breeding is bullshit also known as marketing hype :D why to call something "amateur breeding" ? cant you name it just pollen chucking? like we all do? breeding doesnt need modern western science at all.. its useless. by growing it and smoking it I will get better knowledge of it than any "professional" using chromosome analysis LOL

Perfect. Modern scientific breeding and chromosome analysis and tissue culture didn’t produce “Mortgage Lifter” tomatoes, Gorilla Glue, Girl Scout Cookies, it produces plants that have specific shapes, ripening schedules, bruise resistance, no offspring, clones that won’t thrive (don’t think they’ve got that one yet but I’m sure they’re working on it), plants with shelf appeal but poor flavor and poor nutritive value.

They produce PRODUCTS - not yours, theirs.

beta

Veteran
Perfect. Modern scientific breeding and chromosome analysis and tissue culture didn’t produce “Mortgage Lifter” tomatoes, Original Glue, Girl Scout Cookies, it produces plants that have specific shapes, ripening schedules, bruise resistance, no offspring, clones that won’t thrive (don’t think they’ve got that one yet but I’m sure they’re working on it), plants with shelf appeal but poor flavor and poor nutritive value.

They produce PRODUCTS - not yours, theirs.

This isn't a problem with 'modern scientific breeding'. This has been true of all breeding under capitalism. You don't hate modern breeding, you hate capitalism.

I'm all about open source, publicly funded breeding and genetic research done for the common good. Too bad capitalism will never allow that to happen, because profit is the only goal that matters.

White Beard

True, true, true...
Nice to see you, beta: hope you’ve been well

My point was that none of that stuff is genuinely *breeding* IMO, but is genetic engineering instead

From Mendel on, *breeders* have tried to improve by selecting and combining the best they had - horses, plants, pets...offspring, too, but THAT turned into a real can of worms over the course of time (the Hapsburgs, the mastiff), so as we’ve wised up over successive generations, we’ve mostly stopped dead-end and bad-plan breeding, AFAICT...except for the production of as I say, products.

Lyfespan

True, true, true...
Nice to see you, beta: hope you’ve been well

My point was that none of that stuff is genuinely *breeding* IMO, but is genetic engineering instead

From Mendel on, *breeders* have tried to improve by selecting and combining the best they had - horses, plants, pets...offspring, too, but THAT turned into a real can of worms over the course of time (the Hapsburgs, the mastiff), so as we’ve wised up over successive generations, we’ve mostly stopped dead-end and bad-plan breeding, AFAICT...except for the production of as I say, products.

did you see the video exposed this morning of Moglwi say in fact they expect to replace all of todays cannabis with their genetically engenieered product, sourced from all the data and collect IP:tiphat:

White Beard

did you see the video exposed this morning of Moglwi say in fact they expect to replace all of todays cannabis with their genetically engenieered product, sourced from all the data and collect IP:tiphat:
No, I haven’t seen it but I really am not surprised at all to hear it: all those guys are just names to me, never even met anyone who met ‘em. Outside of my regular regard for my fellow beings I don’t give a rat’s ass. I read what they said, and I saw what they showed in their galaxy, and I read other people’s experiences, then I thought it through. To me the shit was transparent, once I was done. See the same shit done in “politics” all the time, starting with the JBS red-scare

Here’s my question:

What’s the point of Hell’s Angels/AB, Mexi cartels, Macedonian/Russian/Greek/Warsaw mafias protecting farms if they are not going to deal with rats and agotators like Skunkman, Chimera, Mowgli, R. Clarke et al?

If I was those people, I would want to be close friends with 1st SFOD
Drawing a blank on 1st SFOD (special forces, 1st division?). Not sure I’m following the rest, either, but if gangs like those are guarding grows - how come we only hear about MS13? - I’d have to say money, and why should they care, because MONEY. If they’re in on it or not, the moneys still there and they want it.

But what to do about private armies surrounding growfarms must be a completely different topic....

Lyfespan

No, I haven’t seen it but I really am not surprised at all to hear it: all those guys are just names to me, never even met anyone who met ‘em. Outside of my regular regard for my fellow beings I don’t give a rat’s ass. I read what they said, and I saw what they showed in their galaxy, and I read other people’s experiences, then I thought it through. To me the shit was transparent, once I was done. See the same shit done in “politics” all the time, starting with the JBS red-scare

Drawing a blank on 1st SFOD (special forces, 1st division?). Not sure I’m following the rest, either, but if gangs like those are guarding grows - how come we only hear about MS13? - I’d have to say money, and why should they care, because MONEY. If they’re in on it or not, the moneys still there and they want it.

But what to do about private armies surrounding growfarms must be a completely different topic....

this fucking asshat Moglwi was on the aadam dunn show trying to reassure the public that they arent culture vultures

H

HazeOil

the info ur lookn for about the future of phylos was on the last interview adam dunn did rob c ,it was deleted at the request of robc because he said he said to much.
find that interview and u find the truth about phylos

Last edited:

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
If they are a commercial company there is a conflict of interest. It's similar to people a company can't own all humans' DNA but places namely hospitals started with some plan of this already. A simple consequence of the basic potential for corruption is they will claim that the people involved with their company invented herb itself, the various strains, more or less to that effect. This is neither here nor there whether I'm recommending to invest in this company or something like that. Only to beware that there are cases of incompetence and dishonesty and either concealing or embezzling extortion in the past with pharma and biotech companies. It is the kind of thing that a company can address publicly if they wish to. If it's kept private no comment no answer then one can only assume similar to talk to my lawyer this kind of thing.

Last edited:

ahortator

Veteran
Looking in Phylos for Acapulco Gold I have found they have now 4 samples:

https://phylos.bio/sims/sample/genotype/vgqqwq2g

This one above claims:

"Oral history
1979 - real 'Acapulco Gold' from Mexico given to me by David Crosby to propagate in Cali"

And this next one is very interesting because is from Robert C. Clarke:

https://phylos.bio/sims/sample/genotype/z814pz28

The profile, at least for me with my short knowledge, seems very similar in these two samples above at least in hemp and landrace % Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP). I assume Robert C. Clarke sample is actual from the Acapulco Gold heyday era, so we can be sure is the real one.

There are other two samples:

One of them is roughly 50% OG Kush: https://phylos.bio/sims/sample/genotype/woy5yvxg

And the other is almost completely Skunk, at least in the SNP analyzed: https://phylos.bio/sims/sample/genotype/1oekmdop

I have read Skunk is a stabilized AG x Afghan/Colombian (or Colombian/Afghan), so it is not surprising AG and Skunk share SNP.

I would appreciate if someone with enough knowedge can throw light over this?

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
Interesting questions and analysis. Good on you to throw it together.

To start if they were polymorphisms, they would not be shared ;) they would just be shared nucleotides.

I think initially Phylos was going to provide answers to questions like this (whilst you are left to interpret what you're looking at) The main takeaway from a result like this across four strains is that you now know that there a good number of people using singular names for strains which are all actually distant. All of them distinct plants genotypically but the same name was attached to them somehow.

It's not really a problem with the sequence but with the oral history.