What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

authentic real durban poison?

oldbootz

Veteran
Durban landrace:
picture.php

picture.php

oldbootz

Veteran
This one was sourced from bag seed in Durban. The one from Tropical Seeds Co is also legit I tried that one and also tried Durban Punch and it was amazing.

oldbootz

Veteran
This year we are trying out some new seeds called 'Durban Poison' from bag seed in Durban.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Time will tell if this is ditch weed or legitimate drug variety. The weed in the bag was not in a state I would smoke it. Premature wispy hay.

oldbootz

Veteran
For those in the know, these thin leaves are nothing like the neighboring varieties. Swazi, Lesotho, Malawi are all thicker leaf than this. I have seen this variety over the years and it doesnt change much. Although not main stream street weed, it has a niche market in the rural areas. So it does keep getting grown and stays largely un-hybridized.

oldbootz great pictures and info on durban poison, ive been working on a strain that i crosses with a local sativa wish i had a pic of the male but lost it in a move. the female had very lemon fresh taste buds not big exept the main cola with some foxtailing...maybe lesotho ?
picture.php

oldbootz

Veteran
Hi digitaldank

That's a pretty girl you got. I wouldn't want to comment on the lineage without seeing the plant and even then, with a male its almost impossible to know. Could be someones backyard mix or transported from any location LOL. Stuff moves around a lot here.

Wishing you a good harvest

thanks u yip i know what u mean im up on the high veld and get diffrent verietys every time i need some local stash hardly ever the same just collect the seeds smoke the weed write what i can about it and grow some out if i have the space. feel luck that i have access too this melting pot and hope to find something along the way...happy growing...

vinrusso

3 comments
CharlesDarweed
#eleven. 1
CharlesDarweed commented
11-18-16, 06:03:22
Buah! The hairs on end, they are incredible!
I was checking the repro thread of the DP'70s to remember more info of that hay and you have to be careful in the end because that one pulled out a pair of male flowers because of the sobre maturation. In smoked was the richest, as you say with a touch very refreshing-menthol. It was the most productive in both flowers / seeds and resin and at most 75-80 days it would have cut, although the envelope ripened by the seeds. We got 2 lines from the hands of the same growers, one was labeled green and one purple. I did the repro of the green line and it seems to me that very soon those of the purple line of hands of aerites will leave.// This is a quote from Tropical. I think i have your Pheno. And I agree the leaves surprised me how long and thin compared to some of the things I've seen. It may be a lucky pheno, cause i didn't hunt for anything. Tropical only had their seeds with the month promotional and the drawing thing. So they must have had very few seeds. CBG and ACE have killer gear so you know they're gonna have some good Durban.
flag

W

Water-

Yeah it's the same strain shared many years ago by African Herbman with several different people, TSCo offered already several interesting Durban hybrids in the past too... but it came from modern bagseed scored by Herbman at South Africa, not really 70s or oldschool genetics like Sam's one for example. Are you sure the info was about this one and not some of the strains that USC sells through TSCo nowadays?

Anyway African Herbman was collecting and preserving different african bagseeds at the time. Swazi, Durban, something else that he bought as Congo Black and so on (although this one didn't really look like a traditional congolese purebred), it's still possible to find that info here at the forums. Some were interesting, others not so much, just like any bagseeds. That's why sometimes is easier to look for old farmers or preservationists in order to find selected genetics.

This are the original Durban Poison pics that African Herbman posted a decade ago:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1135576&postcount=2

CBG's South African was bagseeds from Cape Town as well, so either it could be Durban, Swazi or anything like that. Normally Durban Poison weed came packaged in what they used to call "durban sticks", while malawi came in cobs and others as Swazi came as matchbox weed. Traditional Durban, Malawi Gold and Swazi packaging forms can be seen here:

View Image

What happens in South Africa is similar to Mexico or any other big Cannabis producer. Plus the country simply became a hot spot for the African cannabis market. Many of the african weed is exported through South Africa all over the continent and even towards Europe. The demand for weed in South Africa is so big that they even buy weed from most neighbouring countries like Swaziland, Namibia, Malawi, Lesotho and so on. So i'm looking at South Africa more as a big melting pot of african genetics, rather than the home of the Durban Poison.

Notice that South Africa is the first Cannabis producer in the continent, this is an old graph from the UNODC report but it gives a good idea about the situation. Unfortunately, few African countries have replied the Cannabis surveys in order to keep publishing the UNODC's Cannabis reports worldwide:

View Image

Even what we know as the original Durban Poison from Sam Skunkman was south african bagseeds shared by Mel Frank. Then this Durban Poison and Durban X Skunk hybrids were sold to most dutch seedbanks, the rest is history. But let's keep in mind that Durban Poison is more like a generic name, just like Colombian Red, Oaxacan Gold or Vietnam Black. There are literally hundreds of traditional cultivars all over those places. The thing is finding a good representation or something close to what you are looking for among them.

Anyway I've found this Durban was pretty simiar to the Swazi Red by Afropips in overall terms of high, structure or even terpenes. Classic South African dagga plants.:biggrin:

Interestingly on Phylos the Ethiopian sold by Ace shows a direct relationship with a South African sample from Mel Frank.

doams

Got this rare pheno /she got that sweet skunk smell a bit some purpling too/ from dp durban pack that took 17 weeks to finish flowering
It started flowering after 63days of 12/12 and it took her 185 days from seed to finish..
But thats rare usually its done in 3 months from seed under 12/12.

Last edited:

Montuno

...como el Son...
Durban Poison (Tropical Seeds Co)

Durban Poison (Tropical Seeds Co)

A "new borned" Durban Poison by Tropical Seeds Co:

d48bdcba8e68632a90d48d65067d9143.jpg

a84f2be7ee6fb7931e3cf4446833818f.jpg

fb8d75c5029111096059f0ceaaffad6c.jpg

36d37606fb72d17418705eccf717cb97.jpg

Feb2006er

If you’re looking for Durban

If you’re looking for Durban

@_rastafarout is the goto person for South African seed stock. He has pure Durban, Lesotho, and Transkei right now. He went and collected in the villages that preserved the best lines. He loves to talk about them.

oldbootz

Veteran
rastafarout has collected a line he calls "Durban" from northern Eastern Cape province. His "Transkei" line is from southern Transkei area also in Eastern Cape province and his Lesotho are from the South African side of the Lesotho border, also in the Eastern Cape province.

So in my mind he has collected three sativa lines all from a small region of South Africa east coast. The names he gives to these varieties are not very accurate except for the Transkei variety which is aptly named and collected from the correct area.

When I collected Lesotho I traveled into the actual country both north side and south side and asking locals what the best weed is. My Durban line comes from the valley of 1000 hills on the outskirts of Durban city.

I do have some Transkei from rastafarout and it smokes really nice. The high lasts for hours with no body stone at all. Good variety but doesn't like the moist coastal belt and its getting a lot of powdery mildew at my side.