What's new

Silicon-Organic specific?

Opt1983

We all know silicon is one of the vital things needed for the health and pest resistance of all plants. How important is this in organic gardening concerning MJ? Do organic gardeners need a boost of this..or is it available in any of the organic ferts we have come to use? if not, would it be beneficial to obtain any kind of growth stimulator to use with our regular watering regimen? if so, what is a good source to find silicon? -Opt

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
I believe I can help a little on this one Opt1983.
Silicon is an element which is very abundant in the earths crust and one of the 40 or so non essential plant nutrients not normally found in chemical hydroponic solution.

Here is a very good text about silicon:

"Tissue studies of plants have found more than 60 different mineral elements, although it has generally been accepted that 17 elements are essential for plant growth. We are well familiar with the macronutrients of nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium, calcium, magnesium and sulfur. Most of us recognize the micronutrients of iron, manganese, boron, copper, molybdenum, zinc, chlorine, and more recently added to the list, nickel (the remaining three elements are carbon, hydrogen and oxygen). However, studies periodically explore the roles played by other elements such as sodium, cobalt, vanadium, lithium, rubidium, strontium, aluminum, selenium, iodine, titanium and silver. Many of these elements are readily available in the soil and used in such tiny quantities that not much research has been focused on them beyond identifying locations in the plant and possible roles in plant metabolism. Only recently have we begun to explore the possibilities of using these elements to enhance plant performance. For example, siler blocks the action of ethylene, which causes flower petals to wilt; the life of cut flowers can be extended 100% if pretreated with silver compounds.

The most interesting and promising research is in the role of silicon. This element is readily available in the soil; silicon is the second most abundant element, after oxygen, present in the earth’s crust as silicon dioxide (sand) and various silicates. Sheet silicates are compounds of silicon, oxygen, metals and carbonates arranged in crystalline structure and often include aluminum, iron, titanium, magnesium, calcium, lithium, manganese, sodium, and potassium in varying compositions. Hundreds of sheet silicates occur in the crust, providing a smorgasbord of mineral nutrients, but all serving as a ready source of silicon.

Silicon extracts from sheet silicates as silicic acid. Soil water generally contains 50 to 400 ppm silicic acid, which is readily absorbed by plants. Studies of plant tissue have found a range of silicon content from a fraction of 1% dry matter to as high as 10%. In plants, the silicon seems to play a role in growth, mineral nutrition, mechanical strength, resistance to fungal diseases, and reaction to adverse chemical conditions.

Silicon is transported from the roots to shoot through the transpiration stream and deposited either as hydrated silicon dioxide or as silica gel or polysilicic acid (a little disagreement here). Once the silicon is incorporated into tissue, it doesn’t move, so a regular supply is necessary.

Silicon affects the absorption and translocation of several macro- and micronutrients. It also contributes to the strength and thickness of cell walls, helping to keep plants erect and resisting attacks by fungi and insects. Silicon also plays some role in helping the plant survive adverse conditions such as high salinity or toxic levels of manganese, iron, phosphorous and aluminum.

Hydroponics growers have practiced adding soluble silicon to growing solutions using potassium metasilicate or sodium silicate, finding that it reduces the incidence and severity of powdery mildew. Recent hydroponic trials in New Zealand found that raising the silicon concentration increased yields and produced thicker, whiter, healthier root systems."

I think that adding an extra source of silica into the medium is a good idea, even though its probably present in some quantity in every soil. I use something calles "Maidenwell Diatomite" which is basically small chunks of silica rich porous rock which has microstopic pores in it from fosilised prokaryotes. I think most sand would be a decent source of silica, and may improve soil structure.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Opt1983

Good read bro, thx! Reason why i ask on the topic is cuz i was looking over some Botanticare products i will be ordering and seen a liquifed silica Stimulator. I was thinking about grabbing this along with some Liquid Karma, but i didnt kno it's needs when it comes to organic gardening. If anyone has used this product, or has any additional comments... feel free! -Opt

zamalito

Veteran
Speaking of botanicare products pure blend bro has an ingredient called agrimineral 72 this is a silicate clay product. Pyroclay is high in silicate and a great natural fungicide. General hydro makes a product called rare earth that's also high in silicate. If you grow outside many soils have a decent clay content although its hard to work high clay soils and perlite greensand peat or similar must be added to get aeration to the roots

G

I add green sand to my mix, and I remember reading somewhere that it is a source of silica.

cheers,

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
yep sand is a good source of silica for organics and it also improves the structure of your medium to create more pore spaces. Humic and fulvic acids play a key role in dissolving silicates and making them available to the root system.

Latest posts

Latest posts