What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what to mix in with the native soil

dazed_kiwi

hello ever one im new here and im doing some research for when spring comes around again in new zealand just wanting to know what i can add to the native soil I.E blood and bone. ect ect i dont want to be carrying big bags of soil in the bush thats the main thing so if you could give me some tips of things that would be able to fit in a back pack and that would stay with in the soil for the time of the grow and some tips on water cristls (spellings not my thing) well thanks for your time ever one.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
That will depend entirely in the native soil, is it sandy?
If so you'll have problems keeping them watered.
Describe the soil of where you are planting to get the right info.

Ganix

A good idea is to get one of those little soil test kits that test the NPK and PH of the soil. At least you will have a litttle idea then of what it might need.

But as Suby says, Gotta know what is in the soil now to know what to add.

G

A nutrient test- NPK and check the PH....and don't forget the vermiculite!

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
Check out the book Marijuana Outdoors: Guerilla Growing by George Cervantes. It explains how to judge your soil and what you can add to make it better.

dazed_kiwi

the soil is rather dense im some places in the bush and is made up of decaying leaf matter its pretty good soil. the reason i cant give you more is because i havnt found a spot as its going to be a about 6 months till i even think about planting. as i dont have a place to grow i was thinking the safts place to grow would be behind some farm land but the bad thing about that would be the times i went to the sites would be other first light or late evening. any ways how deep and how much water cristils(cant spell) would i need to minamise watering needed. sorry about the lack of info guys and girls

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
What your aiming for is a soil rich in humus not in sand, one that is light and airy and not crusty and hard.
You'll have to break the earth up, what you could do is pick a final location and make a compost heap near your grow, put alot of greens in it and give it a couple of weeks, this would supply some good compost to add to the local soil.
You could also add vermiculite to keep the mix porous but it also retains moisture, water retaining crytals are a good idea too depending on local conditions.
Ammendments in the soil would help with long term fertilizing like blood, bone, kelp meal, guanos mixed into the earth.
Make sure your site has a water source, water is more a PITA ass to lug than soil.

EDIT: Some of these ammendments I suggested might not be ideal if your worried about critters digging up your soil.

Last edited:

dazed_kiwi

ta guys i think it would be alot easyer just to put the hard work in and move some rich organic soil in to it if im going to really think about doing this so thanks for the help people yea and just some more tips if i could if i was to mix in the soil with the native soil to how many parts top soil to native soil and about the water crytals how long can the retain water for?? in warm temps.

Latest posts

Latest posts