What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yellowing Too Early in Flowering

G

My plants are @ day 34 and the bottom 3/4 of the plants have yellowed then dropped their fan leaves. These are sixty day strains. They began yellowing in the 2nd week so I tossed them in 5-gallon buckets (from 2.5-gallon pots), thinking they must be rootbound because the soil mix has plenty of N in it.

Not sure why they're yellowing so early but now that they are, I'm wondering what to do about it, if anything.

A shot of Alaska Fish or a hi-N guano tea?

Leave them to finish and look forward to well-flushed, smooth-smoking weed but maybe slighty smaller yield? (Sucker leaves are dark green and healthy.)

WWSD? (What Would Sunnyside Do?) LOL

Here's a pic from two days ago and the yellowing has progressed A LOT in the past two days.

Thanks in advance.

.canine.

G

Yes, but only Big Bloom and one mild feeding of Tiger Bloom. Otherwise it's just really mild compost tea 1x per week. I have a gallon of water w/ Alaska Fish ferts bubbling and I may hit them with that once, depending on the feedback here.

Kush King

nah thats norm just Useing its surgars up... if I were you id be into FULL feeding of foxfarm by now and beasty buds in next few days if not alredy... thows are sum Nice buds you got there for 30 days....

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
Well, here is what I think - Judging by the colour of the newer leaves higher on the plant, I would say that your current N levels are OK. sometimes if you have had a N def early, the older leaves will stay defficient because the nutrients are being prioritised by the plant for the newer leaves and for bud growth. When this happens the older leaves may yellow and drop. Prob is you cant effectively boost N levels in older growth through regular feeding. this is when a foliar spray might help. Anyway, its not likely that you can really help those leaves as they have now been put on the road to abcision. Being root bound may be a factor as well, but would usually be acompanied by droopy leaves.

Anyway, looks good, keep feeding normally and perhaps try a foliar spray to boost N levels in thore lower leaves. good luck

G

Thanks, guys and/or gals.

Ezra- I'm feeling like you... N levels were too low early in flowering and it just sort of set off a chain reaction of N-def. I did some reading last night and it seems like once the leaves start dropping in mid-flower, it's tough to stop it from progressing. I think I'll just leave them be and feed a little more N into the 4th week or so in the future.

Suby said:
K9 whatcha using as a source of calcium and magnesium....?

Nothing in particular, but I think both Cal and Mag are present in dolomite lime, which is in the mix, and Mag is also present in the worm castings, right? But doesn't Cal def. show in the newest growth and Magnesium is more of a cholorosis and then necrotic patches? Whatcha thinkin, my man?

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
I'm not very good with sick plants but seing as it's you I chimed in, if you used D Lime then your fine and I'm wrong, I just wanted to cover my bases.
It's damning as the tops look a healthy green, usually the whole plant pales a bit with an N def.
It's ok for the shaded fan leaves to be canabilized by the plant but some of yellowing ones in your pic look above the canopy so I'm at a loss but overall they look pretty good, no drooping and tops look healthy.
If it ain't broke don't fix it sometimes, did you compost the mix you transplanted into, it takes time for them to become broken down and avilable.

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
It looks about right to me, mine I usually like seeing the yellowing comming on, it means the tops are sucking N from the lower leaves, and I would not be concerned about that this far into the grow, its normal.

G

I don't like yellowing to be happening THAT early....mabe 75% through flowering, but definitly not 50%. hit em with some N.

G

I ended up giving them a small shot of Alaska Fish the other evening. Like one quart of 1/2 strength in each 5-gal container. Otherwise, I'm just letting them go. Next time I'll feed more N further into flowering. I think once the N-def ball is rolling, it's hard to stop. For this crop, a slightly lower yield of ultra-smooth smoke is fine with me.

G

why not just put some blood meal in your soil before planting...like about 2 weeks before. You shouldn't have a N problem then. My girls are on week 9 of flower...and still no yellowing. They are ripening though.

I understand that it is sometimes strain dependant on the way a plant grows as ripens, but a little blood meal(1 Tbs/G) in your soil would fix this right up.

Cheers,

Latest posts

Latest posts