What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pulverizing Dolo Lime pellets

G

There is no powdered dolo lime around here. I had to drive 75 minutes just to finally find some pelletized dolo lime @ Lowes.

Any ideas how one would pulverize these pellets, other than a hammer on the sidewalk. ;) If you were going to pulverize say 1 cup of dolo lime, how would you do it?

.canine.

Opt1983

Hmm, that really blows that ur gonna have to do it that way, but if it were me..i'd get one of them cheap ass coffee grinders..maybe that'll work. Or put them in some type of pouch, then hammer them, alot. Whatever u figure out...do double the amount u'll think u'll need...will make it easier. -Opt

G

I had to do that. I put it in a double plastic bag and pounded it with a hammer for a while, then strained it through a kitchen strainer.

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Canine, I couldn't find it either.........at home depot or lowes. I went to Pikes Nursery and they had pellets also, EXCEPT, when I drove around back to pick up peat and mushroom compost, lay and behold was a pallet of powdered dolo bags. I went back later and picked it up. I would say any small time local nursery will have it or can order it. I know they can. A friend of mine work's at his mom and dads nursery. He got me Pro Mix and Hydrated Lime (like talcum powder).

Save that stuff for the lawn, if you can. Powdered Garden Gypsum is also great for Calcium and Sulphur. It has a slightly lower PH from the sulphur. Then you could bring the ph up with wood ash...............I know, the easiest thing is to find the powdered dolo. Less hassle. :wave:

I put the Hoffman Garden Gypsum in my rain water an hour ago. I just PHed it and the water reads 6.8-7.0. It contains Calcium Sulphate 69%, Calcium 19%, and Sulphur 15%. Folks for get that cannabis likes/needs sulphur also. It helps with the taste and aroma! Sulphur is all about smell ya know?

Last edited:

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Here's some straight smoke on the prime nutrients for organic cannabis:
:jump:
What are Macro-/Micro-Nutrients, and what is each responsible for?
Added by: MarvinM92 Last edited by: MarvinM92 Viewed: 714 times Rated by 24 users: 9.54/10
Contributed by: Lord Of The Strains
Submitted: 04-05-2004

What are Macro-/Micro-Nutrients, and what is each responsible for?

Summary of Macronutrients
Macronutrients are the elements most vital to all plant-life. There are three major and most prominent macronutrients: Nitrogen (“N”), Phosphorus (“P”), and Potassium (“K”). All fertilizers contain these three fundamental elements, but in varying amounts, depending on fertilizer type/brand. The N-P-K ratio of the fertilizer will be listed on the side of the container/box in the form of three numbers separated by hyphens (e.g. 20-20-20, etc.); choose a fertilizer that correlates with your specific needs and stage of plant-growth. TIP: In their vegetative state, cannabis plants thrive primarily on “N” and “P”; and in their flowering-stage, “P” and “K” become more essential.

Summary of Micronutrients
Along with the basic macronutrients, plants also require micronutrients (or Trace-Elements) for sustained health and vigor. Some of these trace-elements are Calcium (“Ca”), Magnesium (“Mg”), Sulfur (“S”), Manganese (“Mn”), Boron (“B”), Zinc (“Zn”), and Copper (“Cu”). They are present in most, if not all, fertilizers, but in generally lesser portions than the major macronutrients.

Below is a list of the basic macronutrients and micronutrients/trace-elements, along with the horticultural-benefits and deficiency-symptoms of each:

Element Name: Nitrogen

Symbol: N

Atomic Number: 7

Atomic Mass: 14.00674

Horticultural-Benefit: Nitrogen promotes photosynthesis, and is directly responsible for the production of chlorophyll. It stimulates leaf and stem growth, and aids the overall size and vigor of the plants.

Deficiency-Symptoms: A nitrogen-deficiency can be recognized by reduced growth-rates and yellowing of the leaves (starting with the older/lower leaves). Colder soil-temperatures make nitrogen less-available to plants.

Element Name: Phosphorus

Symbol: P

Atomic Number: 15

Atomic Mass: 30.973762

Horticultural-Benefit: Phosphorus aids in the germination of seeds, and the growth of seedlings and roots. It is also vital the production of terpene resins, floral clusters, and necessary sugars and starches. Phosphorus also influences overall vigor.

Deficiency-Symptoms: A phosphorus-deficiency can be noted by reduced growth-rates and the production of smaller leaves which wilt/drop quickly. The leaves will be a dull, bluish-green, which will turn purplish or bronzy, and will have seared edges. Excessive “P”-levels can initiate a potassium-deficiency.

Element Name: Potassium

Symbol: K

Atomic Number: 19

Atomic Mass: 39.0983

Horticultural-Benefit: Potassium is important to your plants for metabolic changes during flowering, and the production of floral clusters. It also promotes general plant-vigor, disease-resistance, and sturdy growth.

Deficiency-Symptoms: A potassium-deficiency will retard growth-rates, and cause leaf-tips and -edges to become a scorched-brown color, with curled margins.

Element Name: Calcium

Symbol: Ca

Atomic Number: 20

Atomic Mass: 40.078

Horticultural-Benefit: Calcium is a key ingredient in cell-walls. It strengthens stems/stalks/branches, and also contributes to root-development/growth, primarily that of the rot-tips.

Deficiency-Symptoms: A calcium-deficiency can be recognized by distorted leaves, with hooked tips and curled margins. A deficiency would also result in under-developed roots, with weak root-tips.

Element Name: Magnesium

Symbol: Mg

Atomic Number: 12

Atomic Mass: 24.3050

Horticultural-Benefit: Magnesium is significant for chlorophyll-production and most enzyme reactions. It is responsible for healthy leaf-structure and -production, as well as sustaining healthy vein-structure in the leaves.

Deficiency-Symptoms: A magnesium-deficiency will affect various plant-species differently. The most common symptoms in cannabis plants are a vivid yellowing of the leaves, followed by leaves falling without withering, starting with the older/lower leaves. Excessive “Mg”-levels may initiate a calcium-deficiency.

Element Name: Sulfur

Symbol: S

Atomic Number: 16

Atomic Mass: 32.066

Horticultural-Benefit: Sulfur, being an ingredient in plant-protiens, is vital for protein-production, chlorophyll-production and vegetative growth.

Deficiency-Symptoms: A sulfur-deficiency can be identified by retarded growth-rates, accompanied by small, mutated leaves which are round in shape and roll upwards. Leaves will become stiff and brittle, and will fall off. A “S”-deficiency will also cause flowers on the top of kholas to die.

Element Name: Manganese

Symbol: Mn

Atomic Number: 25

Atomic Mass: 54.93805

Horticultural-Benefit: Manganese is a catalyst for many enzymes, and also aids photosynthesis/ chlorophyll-production.

Deficiency-Symptoms: A manganese-deficiency will have varying symptoms, depending on plant-species. The most common symptoms in cannabis plants are a yellowing of chloroplasts while stems remain relatively green. White or grey specks/spots may develop on the surfaces of leaves. As is usually the case, older/lower leaves will be affected first. Excessive “Mn”-levels may cause an “Fe”(iron)-deficiency, which will exhibit symptoms similar to a “Mn”-deficiency.

Element Name: Boron

Symbol: B

Atomic Number: 5

Atomic Mass: 10.811

Horticultural-Benefit: Boron aids the movement of necessary sugars, as well as reproduction, and water intake by cells. It also assists in the production of stems/stalks/branches, and keeps calcium in a soluble form. Furthermore, “B” contributes to leaf-production/-coloring/and -structure.
Deficiency-Symptoms: A boron-deficiency can be recognized by distorted and/or dead growing tips, hollow stems, and malformed fruits/flowers. Plants suffering from a “B”-deficiency frequently exhibit scorched, curled leaves, which are often spotted and discolored; young/vegetative leaves are affected first. Excessive “B”-levels may cause plants to exhibit symptoms similar to those of “Mg”-/”K”-deficiencies.

Element Name: Zinc

Symbol: Zn

Atomic Number: 30

Atomic Mass: 65.39

Horticultural-Benefit: Zinc-levels directly affect plant-size and -maturation , as it is necessary for the production of plant-proteins. Consequently, “Zn” is vital to the production of leaves and stalks/stems/branches.

Deficiency-Symptoms: A deficiency of zinc will result in the yellowing of chloroplasts between leaf-veins, usually with purplish spots of dead cells on leaf-surfaces; older/lower leaves are the first to show symptoms. Vegetative-growth is retarded and deformed, and floral-growth is reduced. Excessive “Zn”-levels can initiate an “Fe”(iron)-deficiency.

Element Name: Copper

Symbol: Cu

Atomic Number: 29

Atomic Mass: 63.546

Horticultural-Benefit: Copper is responsible for healthy, vigorous growth, and strengthens stalks/stem/branches. It is also necessary for the production of plant-proteins, and is crucial for reproduction.

Deficiency-Symptoms: A copper-deficiency can cause otherwise green leaves to adopt a bluish hue. Vegetative growth may fail to unfold, and may be yellow at the tips and edges.
Last modified: 17:23 - May 12, 2004
GrowFAQ © 2000-2004 Overgrow
faq:1651 "What are Macro-/Micro-Nutrients, and what is each responsible for?" :hotbounce

Stoner133

I have never encountered Dolomite lime in pellet form, but I would guess they are water soluble binding agents holding the finely ground particles together. A soaking should do the trick.

Dolomite lime is natural limestone rock from the Dolomite range in Italy. In practice, any source of limestone can be used for agriculture but Dolomite has both Calcium Carbonate and Magnesium Carbonates. The rock is ground and screened to get the fine particle sizes.

G

I was stoked to finally find it in pellet form because stores just don't carry it here. All anyone has is Hydrated Lime. And we have several nurseries, Home Depot, two fucking Wally Worlds, etc. Just no powdered dolo lime here. Like I said, I had to drive to another city to find the pelletized.

It just sucks to mail order dolo lime... the lime itself is $5 and the shipping is $8-10. I hate that.

G

Yeah, mine isn't fast prilled... it's pelletized and you're right, LC, there's a difference. The pelletized breaks down really slowly.

bostrom155

I'm folding it in an apron, and tapping with a sledge, only takes a minute to get a cup or two. But it's hard to find the powered version here too.

DO NOT get this one..

Last edited:

BigJilm

Yikes
I just got that exact bag of espoma garden lime.
Why do you say do not use this lime specifically bostrom? Because you have to powder it, or is there another reason?

bostrom155

BigJilm said:
Yikes
I just got that exact bag of espoma garden lime.
Why do you say do not use this lime specifically bostrom? Because you have to powder it, or is there another reason?

No, just the turning it into power thing, not a huge deal, all good other than that.

BigJilm

I used my coffee grinder
My old lady was not happy with the coffee this morning, but her pH should be dandy.
Now that I am out of my lurking hole, I would like to take the time to say thanks to the contributors to this site. You have helped me out immensly.
Lavender Cowboy is my co-pilot

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Garden Lime is a big yes. Quick Lawn Lime is a big no. That is what I remember from OG. The pellet form of lime is what's throwing folks off. Actually, I can see now, that it would be a benifit to have a slow buffer all the time until harvest, and a tea lime tonic every 2-3 weeks or less for immediate calcium needs. Hydrated lime or wood ash would work in flowering after the second half..........more opinions please?

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
bostrom155, I think you just asked the $64,000 question, and answered the million dollar answer...........Two brains are allways better than one. It's just like two birds in the brush are equal to one in the hand.............or holding a pure fucking REZDOG version.........un goddamn LIMITED, pit bull diesel..........

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
boss, seriously, LIME deficiency is in the category of overwatering. Actually they go hand in hand. But, lime is before water as soil is before air. Water is the conduit of energy, or the fast food service to the life force. Lime is the middleman or dealer of consesus pilot. Without a true marketteer, the three Musketeers would be blind!

Lime (Calcium Hydrate, Calcium Sulphate, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium PHOSPHATE............we are friggin chemists..........

Last edited:

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
stoneyhucker, that's 8 tablespoons per 8 gallons of soil mix then. I'd say that is pretty conservative, but starting a month ahead preparing the soil is probably why you can get away with using less dolomite lime pellets...........you think so? Do you give them any more lime say in a tea or drink of water at any time during veg or flower.