What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hybrid Soil Mix for Tomatos/Weed

G

I'm looking into growing a fair amount of organic tomatos, and I was hoping to just use the leftover soil mix for my little weeds. Less hassle, explaining, etc...

Anyone have experience with tomatos and know what soil mixes would work equally well for both? I have a feeling they'd be about the same, with tomatos requiring a bit more nitrogen, which could be given in liquid form.

Thanks, I know this isn't quite a cannabis topic, but it is still, because I don't want to use anything that won't leave leftovers for my babies.

edit: Oh, and if it could be based on worm castings that would be perfect, because I just started a vermaculture tub.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

One thing tomatoes need, moreso than the other weed, is calcium, and lots of it. Tomatoes will develop blossom end rot, if they are given insufficient amounts of calcium. If Lavender Cowboy can comment on whether calcium, in the amounts needed for tomatoes, would be detrimental or not, that would be a good thing.

hth..........DD

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
its amazing the flavor you can get from tomatos with organic growing ;)

G

Dolomite Lime provides calcium right? Is Lime considered USDA certafied organic?

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
akrazy said:
Dolomite Lime provides calcium right? Is Lime considered USDA certafied organic?

Yes :) but im not sure about calcium, i know oyster shells provides it.

also most tap water is full of Calcium.

G

yeah, i got mixed up, it's gypsum that is calcium. Know anything about gypsum?

G

I guess that couldn't hurt, unless it's unnecessary and more expensive. I was mostly worried about getting enough calcium to the tomatoes because they need more then pot... at least it sounds like.

G

How does this soil mix look (for both tomatoes and pot):

5 parts peat moss
3 parts perlite
2 parts wormcastings

Add the following to each gallon of the above mix:
2 TBS dolomite lime
1 TBS bloodmeal
2 TBS bonemeal
1 TBS kelp
1 TBS greensand
? Gypsum (Enough for calcium needs of tomatoes, but not too much to hurt pot)

Mix and moisten and let it sit for two weeks, stirring several times a day to aerate the mix....Leave the eptsom salts out and use it in your watering as needed to suppliment the Mg in the dolomite lime... guano can be used if needed in a tea to suppliment the phos or N, depending on the type guano it is

Is there anything in there that can be replaced by more worm castings, or worm casting teas?

This is a mix and much of stuff I've found on this site mostly I think, so thanks.

Opt1983

That mix does fine for me. Though , i wouldnt recoomend putting seedlings into this until they are at least 3 weeks old. If you have a strain that is touchy on nutes you could alwayz cut back the measurments a tad, and rely on using teas to get the rest of the nutes in when you think they are ready. The wormcastings/ wormcasting tea can be used as a non burnable nitrogen source before you put your plants in this "veg/flowering" mix. It will also help to moiston the mix with this wormcasting tea..with a little kelp meal added, this will really help the herd get a head start. -Opt

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
sounds perfect for tomato plants, they really can handle a lot of nutes. ;)

G

Anyone know how much Gypsum I should use in that mix? I don't want to use so much that it could hurt mj.

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

I have my tomatoes germing in cups of 1 part Kelloggs 1 part peat, 1 part perlite.

Any day I should see them-I have 3 weeks or so before the weather turns so I think I can grow them big enough to put outside mid to end of April.

I have Heirlooms and beefsteaks

minds_I

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
Tomatoes need alot of potassium. A good source of Potash or Kelp would be good for them. Check out Espomas Tomato-Tone.

Tomato-Tone: (go to product guide, then go to plant foods)

www.espoma.com

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts